mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 03:59 PM

I just seeded my lawn early September and it is still on the short side. With the warm weather we got a few weeks ago, the grass woke up and so did the weeds. The grass is not tall enough to block the weeds right now, so I need something that will take care of the weeds and fertilize. Would scotts plus 2 be a good choice, even though I would be using Scotts step 1? I want to fertilize the grass but I also don't want to fertilize the weeds and make them bigger then they are.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 05:14 AM

I've never used Scotts,let me know how that works.

#3 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 07:14 PM

I used Scotts starter fertilizer and I had grass in 3 to 4 weeks. My buddy who helped me prep my lot came back over 3 and a half weeks later and ran the stop sign down the street from me while looking at my house because he could not believe how much grass I had in such a short period of time. :rofl2: He just was so stunned with the amount of grass he didn't even see the stop sign.

It worked very well then so I will stick with Scotts. I just wanted to run my plan by others who are probably more experienced in this sort of thing and get their opinion to see if I am on the right path.

Also, do lawn rollers really do anything? I would like to flatten some lumpy spots, but I am not sure if rollers really do anything.

#4 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 07:19 PM

As for the fertilizer, most grass fertilizers are heavy on the nitrogen and light on other nutrients as the grass really needs a lot of nitrogen to grow. I suspect that noxious weeds will not be able to make good use of the nitrogen. As for whether to use the plus 2 now, I'd say read the directions carefully. Scotts will say whether this product can be used on new grass or not. Typically the waiting period is between 4 and 8 weeks with what I have seen, but the Scotts may be different.

#5 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 04:56 PM

:ditto:
I'm with Howard, read the directions to see what it specifically says as new grass is a tender plant. Might do more harm than help.