mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 11:44 AM

I need to purchase a tow behind broadcast spreader and dump cart. I would prefer used, but I don't see much available around my area at the moment. I am looking for recommendations as what might be a good purchase.

For a dump cart I would prefer one with a plastic box instead of metal, but I am not picky. I looked at the dump carts at TSC last week and they seemed a bit flimsy. I don't need a big one and I really don't want to spend more then $200, but closer to $125 to $150 would be better.

For the tow broadcast spreader I will be using it for fertilizer and maybe some grass seed. I think a plastic bin would be better, but I guess the ones with metal gears are more stout? I think pneumatic tires would also be best. I don't need a big one, but I don't really want to push a broadcast spreader over more then 3/4s of an acre. For this I am looking at around $200

If anyone has any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it as I am pretty new to all this stuff.

#2 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 03:35 PM

I went to a dealer and they had a cheap agri fab spreader but the reviews were bad. They also had a brinly dump cart.

I stopped at the home depot on the way home to see if they rent a tow spreader but they don't. They did have some stuff in stock so I was looking at this brinly dump cartfor $179 and this brinly spreader for $169. It would be cheaper and closer then the dealer I visited and I get a 10% veterans discount also.

Any thoughts on if these are a good buy? They are a little more expensive then I would like to spend, but the reviews seem good. I think I may be more concerned about the spreader as I guess some don't do fertilizer well when you put too much in there and it compacts a little.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 03:43 PM

Brinly has a good name in the industry, but those items don't look any more stout than other companies offerings these days...of course they don't look any more flimsy either. They look to be a fair deal when you compare prices. You'll never have to worry about the boxes rusting out, but what about the running gear? I'd look into the warranties that they carry and what the proceedures are for making a claim against it. Usually the big box stores will sell it to you, but after that you're on your own!

#4 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:59 AM

I think the newer stuff out there should be purchased with a "Buyer Beware" attitude. I had seen a thread somewhere (not sure if here or other site) about a brand new trailer that collapsed when dumping the load. I know my 30 or 40 year old Simplicity trailer is built a lot better than my 15 year old TSC built one is. Keep your eyes open for an older used one, something may pop up for you.