• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• Member No: 8268
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 06:09 AM

I did find a mower deck and started restoration on it. What a job this is going to be. I am going to need parts. Thank you so much for the new lead. I'll give him a try.
Matt

Edited by Dieselcowboy, June 15, 2012 - 06:09 AM.

#62 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 08:50 PM

You found a correct Panzer deck? Fantastic. Let me know if you need to replace any of the top sheet metal on it. The thing to watch for is whether the 2 spindles are aligned with each other. The alignment is only held in place by the sheet metal itself. IF the sheet metal starts to get really bad and buckle, the spindles will get out of alignment. I had to spend a ton of time on mine to put them into alignment and then tie the 2 spindle brackets together with angle steel to keep them aligned. I'd be glad to tell anyone the little tricks that would let them do it in a fraction of the time it took me.

#63 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• Member No: 8268
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Yes it is a correct deck. One with the timing belt. The deck steel is in great shape. I am going through it completely like the tractor was. Can't get one of the aluminum pulleys off. Any ideas without breaking it? Going in to put new bearings in spindles. And I have 1 spindle that has worn the keyway groove out. So I'll either repair it or try to find another if possible. Could be a tricky find.

#64 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Man, I replaced the bearings in my spindles and I have a hard time remembering. Short term memory loss, I guess.
I'd have to see it again to remember exactly, but I do remember taking off the nut, then using a bunch of pb blaster and fine sandpaper on the shaft, then using a gear puller to grasp the pulley and centering it on the shaft where the nut was.