• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Thanks guys!

Steve, I thought instead of writing "hopefully tomorrow I can..." like I have been, it would be better to make a list. Lol. If I don't reach all my goals, oh well. If I do, that's great! If I can get my first two goals done tomorrow I will be very happy with that, but im not getting my hopes up on getting welding wire. Lol

#47 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 05:15 AM

Lists can be good. Gives you expectations of what to accomplish. But sometimes, life gets in there and adds to/modifies the list. The project is coming along great. What type of hitch are you thinking of using?
Also, which is the heavier end. May want the axle under that end. Do you plan to stitch weld the tongue pieces together, offsetting welds on each side? Might make the 1X1 stronger. A lot of vertical bounce could bend it.
Just some things to think about, Ryan, before you get it all together. It will be a nice 'tool' to have at your disposal!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#48 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 09:23 AM

Lists can be good. Gives you expectations of what to accomplish. But sometimes, life gets in there and adds to/modifies the list. The project is coming along great. What type of hitch are you thinking of using?
Also, which is the heavier end. May want the axle under that end. Do you plan to stitch weld the tongue pieces together, offsetting welds on each side? Might make the 1X1 stronger. A lot of vertical bounce could bend it.
Just some things to think about, Ryan, before you get it all together. It will be a nice 'tool' to have at your disposal!

I am going to use a 1 7/8 ball coupler for a hitch.

I dont know what side is heavier, I put the pump over the back because I wanted the big exhaust pointing backwards. Either way, the engine and pump are both heavy.

What do you mean by stitch welding? The two pieces of square-stock that are on the inside will have three welds on top, and three welds on the bottom to hold them together, and then all the cross pieces. I was thinking about it last night and I think I'm going to put something under those two pieces in the middle of the two that will go from the front near the hitch, to the front cross-member.

#49 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 12:07 PM

Stitch welding is welding your beads every so often on top, turn over and weld in between those. At least that is what I call it, looks like sewing stitches.

#50 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Stitch welding is welding your beads every so often on top, turn over and weld in between those. At least that is what I call it, looks like sewing stitches.

Then yes, I am doing something like that.

#51 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 12:25 PM

I went out at about 11:30 and got everything that needs to be grinded, grinded. I also cut another piece to go on the bottom of the tongue for some more strength. It goes to the front of the cross-member and stops there. Here is a pic of it, I the front of the tongue wasn't squared up for the pic, they will be even when I weld them.

Posted Image
  • KennyP said thank you

#52 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 02:42 PM

That should hold! You have a lot of weight there, trying to keep the tongue from folding in with bouncing across the yard.

#53 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 03:15 PM

I hope it holds! Without the piece under the tongue I think it would kink and fold right were the piece of flat stock goes over the tongue. Hopefully this will keep it a little more ridged. I did a little research when I started this project and the complete unit weights 406 pounds, if I remember correctly. Since the axle is so far back its 100% tongue weight, I hope it holds.

#54 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 03:39 PM

That's a lot of tongue weight, for sure. May be a bit hard to pick up and hitch it. Not trying to blow your project out, but I would re think what you are doing. If it were me, I would center the axle under the weight, slightly tongue heavy. That's a lot of weight to put on that tongue. Especially on uneven ground. Any bounce will throw the full weight on the tongue. I could be wrong, but it looks like it would fold to me!

#55 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 03:50 PM

I have a plan to make a jack-stand so I don't have to lift it to hook it up to a tractor. I know there is a very real possibility that it will fold. I have a few curl bars from tractor pulling left over that aren't modified or cut yet, maybe I can cut one of them to the correct length so that I can just slide it into the piece of square-stock. If I do that I don't think it will ever fold. What do you think?

EDIT: typos

Edited by Ryan313, May 02, 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#56 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 04:16 PM

Ryan, just putting ? out there for you to feel right with how you are doing it. If you think it will work, go for it!

#57 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 04:24 PM

I think it will be fine with the 3 pieces, at least for a little while. LOL! I really dont know for sure that will be enough support for the tongue. Hopefully some other members will chime in and give their opinion on the tongue strength.

It doesn't look like I will be getting welding wire today. I dont know if I can get it tomorrow either. I should be able to get it Friday if I dont have it by then. I'm at a stand-still until I can get some.

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 04:49 PM

I was hoping someone else would chime in. I may be all wrong, wouldn't be the first time. I just mainly wanted you to look at it and see if that is really how you wanted to do it!

#59 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Ryan, I think that it looks plenty strong, especially if you put some decent stitches of weld like were discussed above. The tubing is kind of thin, but I certainly understand using what you have on hand. The triangle configuration is the strongest there is, and if you clamp the tubes tightly together before welding, they will serve to support each other. I do agree with Kenny that the axle would be better placed near the center with a little bias to the tongue though. Just some food for thought. The project is really coming along!

#60 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Ryan, typically you would aim for 10% of the weight being on the tongue. No matter how far you put the wheels back I don't think you can get more than 50% of the weight on the tongue. The other 50% would be on the wheels. If you had all the weight on the tongue the wheels would float away and that wouldn't be good. LOL The triangle arrangement will be much stronger than the single tubes side by side. When you double the height of the tongue the strength is 4 times greater. Unless you need the lateral strength you may be able to get away with 2 tubes one on top of the other.