• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steven N OFFLINE  

Steven N

• Member No: 6832
  • 20 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 04:21 PM

I took a load of scrap metal to the recycle center yesterday and it got me to wondering how many wonderful old antique garden tractors, implements and other valuable relics from our past are constantly being lost to the scrap yard. I know, a couple of years ago, I saved a DB walk behind that was about to be scraped. All I had in my wallet at the time was $14.00 but the guy was glad to take it. The tractor is in great shape, the motor is doubtful and it has a set of funky old cultivators that someone has stuck on it; oh, and it has wheel weights and pretty good tires.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 10:29 PM

I think it would make a lot of us sick in the stomach knowing the actual numbers on the old treasures that are thrown away each day or year. Would be terrific to be able to save all of them but I am afraid it would be pretty much impossible.
  • trowel said thank you

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 04:42 AM

Yes,it would be great to be able to save them all,but there's just no way it could be done.I just can't believe some of the things I've seen people throw out.
  • trowel and DB1 have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 06:59 AM

I scrapped a lot at one time or another and that was when you could buy from the scrap yard, use to be in same crap yards the antiques was set aside for collectors like us to buy, they made more money that ways, now it all goes no matter what, makes me sick to watch so much end up heading to China knowing it will come back as expensive garbage that does not even come close to what was scrapped in the first place.
Some people just don't care and will scrap your mother if you gave them half a chance !
  • Steven N said thank you

#5 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 12:24 PM

Trowel, A "BIG AMEN" to that !!!!! You can still go to one of the yards here. They will let you look and buy, but they will not set things aside as you said. You have to be there before closing the day the item is brought in or it crushed the next day. Really sad to think about !!!!
  • trowel said thank you

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 07:47 AM

It pays to have a friend that works in the salvageyard. He knows what we are looking for and sets it aside for us to pick on. One time we hauled in a parted out car and brought home nice lawn mower. You never know what you will find. This piles of scrap metal are currently reaching for the sky. The prices just dropped this week, though. That will slow down the scrappers for a awhile.