• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 11:54 AM

I'm not sure of how you belts work on your Ford but in the past on tractors and equipment that used and idler pulley to tension the belt if the belt wasn't the correct for the application ( automotive type instead of one for declutching ) even though the same length and width it wouldn't bend away from the pulley when declutched and cause a drag , ( Wish I was better at explaining things ) Al

No you explained it great. (That is a good point too) I have run into all types of issues over the years concerning belts.

Just ou of curiosity, did you paint inside the pulley when you restored the tractor? That could cause it to stick to the pulley!

That is a great thought Ken. And I have seen that happen, that's why I don't paint inside the groove of a pulley :thumbs:

#17 trevtt600 OFFLINE  

trevtt600

• Member No: 8517
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Well i got the new belt today. Wasn't perfect at first. I cleaned the pullies because yes, i did paint them. Stupid me... Reintalled the belt and it worked so, so. I did not realize that the belt guard the mounts over the engine pulley helps stop the belt from rotating when the clutch is pressed in. Once i installed the guard, its perfect!!

I added a picture of were we are at now. I need to put final coat of paint on the hood, and clean and paint the rims. I have the mower deck also. That will get new blades, and a fresh coat of paint.

I will post other pictures of the refurb if you guys want to see them.

Thanks for the help with the belt.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20120402_183021.jpg

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 09:13 PM

Glad to hear everything is working correctly , Al

#19 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thats great trevtt600,, Sure glad ya got er going now,, An ya we all love to see pic as we go lol,,

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 12:41 AM

WooHoo! It works. Great news! Thanks for the pic!

#21 cedarjunki OFFLINE  

cedarjunki
  • Member No: 8708
  • 3 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 04:49 AM

I did not realize that the belt guard the mounts over the engine pulley helps stop the belt from rotating when the clutch is pressed in. Once i installed the guard, its perfect!!

I will post other pictures of the refurb if you guys want to see them.

Thanks for the help with the belt.

the gaurd shouldnt have anything to do with it, i dont have one on the engine on mine and ran it a while without the main belt gaurd as well with no issues..hard to say but just looking at that pic, if the clutch is in fact pushed in the belt looks a tad tight.. atleast compared to mine.

as far as pics, well dont stop! the more the better! looking great!