• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 trevtt600 OFFLINE  

trevtt600

• Member No: 8517
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hello all. I restored a Ford 120. I got a new drive belt, but i can not get the clutch to disconnect so i can shift in gear. Is there a special style of 5L770 belt i need? I have a goodyear one right now, and it just does not work. Thanks guys.

#2 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 01:56 PM

Would ya belts be to tite ???

#3 trevtt600 OFFLINE  

trevtt600

• 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 05:39 PM

No. Adjusted the belt to the proper tension. If I make it any looser it just flops around and hits the belt guards. It seems to me that it is sticking to the pulley on the motor. The belt is a 21/32 by 77. Can I get a belt that is less rubbery?

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 05:46 PM

I recently put a new belt on my LGT100.......not sure of the size, I took the old one into NAPA to get the same size....Its a lot grabbier than the old one, but can shift gears no problem. I figure it will wear in

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Is the pulley on the trans still spinning when you push the clutch pedal down?

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:12 PM

I just have to ask (cause it happens) Is the belt on the correct side of the idler pulley? It is a common mistake on the Ford 100 and 120

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Sorry I keep thinking of things, If the guard is on, make sure you didn't get the belt on the wrong side of the spacer.

#8 trevtt600 OFFLINE  

trevtt600

• 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 10:50 PM

Chris: Yes the pulley on the trans is still spinning when clutch is pushed in. yes it is on the right side of the idler pulley, but i could see that being a big issue. :) Im going to head to Granger tomorrow and get another 5L770 belt. I think the guy who sold me the Goodyear belt said it wasn't a true 5L belt. I was stupid and threw the old belt away after i put the new belt on, but before i knew if the new belt worked... Stupid me...

Keep the ideas coming guys!! Ill post some pictures of the mower tomorrow.

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 11:04 PM

I looked at mine and they all have a ton of slack when the pedal is pushed down. I hope it is just a case of him giving you the wrong belt. If not you will just have to adjust everything again. Do you have the procedure from the book (owners manual)? In any case Good luck tomorrow, I'll keep checking in to see how you make out.

#10 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Chris: Yes the pulley on the trans is still spinning when clutch is pushed in. yes it is on the right side of the idler pulley, but i could see that being a big issue. :) Im going to head to Granger tomorrow and get another 5L770 belt. I think the guy who sold me the Goodyear belt said it wasn't a true 5L belt. I was stupid and threw the old belt away after i put the new belt on, but before i knew if the new belt worked... Stupid me...

Keep the ideas coming guys!! Ill post some pictures of the mower tomorrow.

That would be great, If you had a picture of the pedal down with the cover off.

#11 trevtt600 OFFLINE  

trevtt600

• 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 11:25 PM

Yep I adjusted the pedal via the manual. When I push the pedal down, it will not disconnect the belt from the engines pulley. This is were my problem lies. I think the belt is just a little different than a 5L belt, and it will not release. Also wondering if it is 2 sticky. It does not have the thread type coating of the belt like other lawn and garden belts have.

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 11:46 PM

Yea that sounds strange. It must be a different belt. There is so much slack when the pedal is down on these, it should be letting go of the drive pulley. If it is adjusted right then that must be the problem. Good luck :thumbs:
  • trevtt600 said thank you

#13 cedarjunki OFFLINE  

cedarjunki
  • Member No: 8708
  • 3 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 04:52 AM

No. Adjusted the belt to the proper tension. If I make it any looser it just flops around and hits the belt guards. It seems to me that it is sticking to the pulley on the motor. The belt is a 21/32 by 77. Can I get a belt that is less rubbery?

it is possible that the belt is too flimsy* i have had this problem before...different brands of belts are made from different materials and intended for different uses...you might want to consider getting a kevlar reinforced drive belt....much heavier than your standard v-belts and not rubbery so to speak..yes they are twice the price but will last 5 times longer than the standard belts.

i have also bought the same size* belts from a few different stores, and had only one fit correct...
  • trevtt600 said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Just ou of curiosity, did you paint inside the pulley when you restored the tractor? That could cause it to stick to the pulley!

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'm not sure of how you belts work on your Ford but in the past on tractors and equipment that used and idler pulley to tension the belt if the belt wasn't the correct for the application ( automotive type instead of one for declutching ) even though the same length and width it wouldn't bend away from the pulley when declutched and cause a drag , ( Wish I was better at explaining things ) Al

Edited by Alc, March 31, 2012 - 07:50 AM.