20 replies to this topic

#16 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 05:55 PM

I love spiders. They eat mosquitoes and flies. I don't know much about them, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend. We've got a few about the size and colour of Ryan's that show up in the backyard every year. I had one that lived in the window by where I sit, but the cat ate it.

#17 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Big spiders don't bother me as much as little ones do. Those little ones can hide ANYWHERE! :bigrofl:

When I was about 14, my Uncle and I took a walk in the woods behind his house in rural North Carolina. We came upon an old stump that was badly rotted. He said "Watch this" and walked over and poked it with his walking stick. Out of the hole poured what seemed to be a million black spiders! I asked what they were as I was looking a little closer at them. He said "Those are black widows." Very nonchalantly. I almost caught the dry leaves under foot on fire as I sped in the opposite direction! (think Road Runner when you imagine me running away) My skin crawled all that night whilst I tried to sleep! Not been really fond of the crawly buggers since then, though I wasn't their biggest fan to start with.

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 07:36 PM

Spiders are EVERYWHERE on a farm. I find Black Widows all the time. As long as a spider isn't on me, I'm fine with them. But I'll kill a Black Widow when I find them. They won't kill you like they have the reputation for, but they can make you sick and make a nasty place on you when they bite you. I know 1st hand.

#19 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Heres one of our local uglies

IMG_2946.JPG

and just in case anyone needs some more heebies to go with their jeebies

IMG_4980.JPG
we have some of these lurking around

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Heres one of our local uglies

IMG_2946.JPG

and just in case anyone needs some more heebies to go with their jeebies

IMG_4980.JPG
we have some of these lurking around

That's a beautiful snake! I love snakes, they are so interesting. I haven't seen anything this year yet, and I have been looking for them!

#21 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Spiders that I find around here are ultimately all the same kind (dead spiders).

And that would be my favorite kind. Been having some of those wolf spiders ( I think) show in my rec room lately. Reading this post actually made me drive 20 minutes to the nearest hardware store to get some perimeter spray to take care of them. Job is done now. All that is left will be to vacuum up the remains when they appear. HAPPY family now!!