• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Yesterday I opened the garage door and saw something run in. It stopped moving about 3 feet in front of me and I slowly reached to the breaker box to turn the lights on without scaring it away. I saw it and didn't know what to do exactly so I grabbed a bucket that was in reaching distance and put it over it. I grabbed a can of brake cleaner and gave it a 2-3 second shot. It spazzed some and then slowly continued crawling away so I gave it another small squirt. After that it still twitched around for another 10 minutes or so. I believe its a wolf spider, and its not small!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:10 PM

You can keep them guys at your house! Thats not wildlife thats dead meat :smilewink: Grandma always said a spider was OK outside but if it dared come into her house, WHAM!

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:16 PM

EEEEEEEK. I freakin hate spiders

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:19 PM

You can keep them guys at your house! Thats not wildlife thats dead meat :smilewink: Grandma always said a spider was OK outside but if it dared come into her house, WHAM!

Yes, not as glamorous as turtles, or as fascinating as the gregor, but its a sign of a healthy ecosystem. When the water level is low and the rocks are sticking out you can find oodles of them by turning rocks over. Before this I have only seen them under rocks and in wood piles.

#5 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Yes, not as glamorous as turtles, or as fascinating as the gregor, but its a sign of a healthy ecosystem. When the water level is low and the rocks are sticking out you can find oodles of them by turning rocks over. Before this I have only seen them under rocks and in wood piles.

Suggestion for ya Ryan.......Dont turn over any more rocks :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Pretty cool Ryan. I would have hit it with the can of brake cleaner, then squirted it. :laughingteeth:

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 09:24 PM

I would have only been able to take a picture of the gooey mess from under my shoe after seeing that thing.

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Aw, come on guys, it's just a little spider, i love spiders, watch them make a web or eat a bug, crawl across the floor, i'll pick it up and take it outside to eat bugs and such, great for gardens and around the house.

This is by far my favoret bug, a Praying Mantis, an't it soooooooo cute ! make you want to cradle it lovingly :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• manthe1.jpg

#9 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 09:34 PM

George your comment reminds me of this tidbit:
Years ago (20+) I was with a friend who wanted to stop and look at a jeep for sale (may have been a bronco or scout too, long time ago, fog inducing beverages were involved), anyway we stop at this farm house and talk to the old guy about it, he gives us the run down and says "take it for a drive in the field". So my buddy gets behind the wheel, we go tooling across the hills and ruts, he hits a big bump real hard and a garden spider a little smaller than Ryans pic drops off the visor and is right in front of me on the glass. I go WHACK, the windshield goes CRAAAAACK, I go OOOOOOPS plus many more colorful words. He drove back, parked it by the barn, found the guy in the house, sorry not interested, thanks for the test drive though. We hightailed out of there quick like. Oh so young and foolish.

edit
That pic is way COOL Jesse, see them a lot but I have never seen one posing quite so.

Edited by Michiganmobileman, March 29, 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 04:15 AM

EEEEEEEK. I freakin hate spiders

That is exactly how I feel about those @#$%%* things.If that was me,I'd never set foot in that garage again,in fear that there would be more in there.
Well,......that may be a little bit of an exaggeration.

#11 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 04:50 AM

Spiders that I find around here are ultimately all the same kind (dead spiders).

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:24 AM

Spiders that I find around here are ultimately all the same kind (dead spiders).

That's the same kind I have here! I don't mind them so much outside, but if they're in the house, they've got to go!

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 07:40 AM

We got them here as well. I don't like them but I guess they have their place in the scheme of things. We have a small ornamental pond in our back yard and my wife found a spider in the rocks around the pond that was much larger than that wolf spider. We don't know what species it was but I was so creeped out by it that I killed it on the spot, hopefully before it could reproduce.

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 02:06 PM

I knew that there would people who dont mind spiders and then those who hate them. Lol. They dont bother me outside inside is different though. Squishing it was the first thing that crossed my mind but I think that a spider of that size would leave a mess on my garage floor! LOL!

#15 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 04:03 PM

About a hundred years ago (really in 1974) my wife and I were living in Vine Grove, KY and were in the process of building a picket fence around our front yard. She saw a spider with a body about the size of a half dollar and screamed like a girl. I picked up a shovel and swatted the thing. End of story was that a great glob of "spider guts" flew up and hit her right in the face. Needless to say she screamed like an insane girl. I thought I was going to need gasoline to wash it off.

One of those things that not even CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) will erase from my mind.

Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, March 30, 2012 - 04:04 PM.

• olcowhand and Michiganmobileman have said thanks