15 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:00 PM

so i have took the cylinder head off my hh140 from the g14 that i bought on the weekend and i have found the problem
OH NO
IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
i think the head is screwed and the piston is pretty rough how ever the bore is good is sucks the valve seat came out and it looks like it swallowed a bolt i might be able to get it cleaned up or there is a head at the scrap yard on a BLOWN sears what do you guys suggest or a RE-POWER ??? also the crank shaft the counter weights have marks on the corner and the crank seal needs to be replaced there should be a vid on youtube soon with cleaning to motor
cheers
8tyman8

Edited by 8tyman8, March 29, 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:11 PM

That stinks! It doesn't really look too bad though. If you have a fully capable repair shop locally, they should be able to repair / replace the seat and valve. I wouldn't worry about the piston head. It appears to be structurally sound. As far as the rest of the repairs, the seals shouldn't be too tough or expensive, and it depends what the marks in the counter weight are caused by. Best of luck with it, whatever you decide to do.

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,634 Thanks
  • 1,671 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Here is some ebay stuff

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43ae73da8b

http://www.ebay.com/...=item564951eaf4

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:36 PM

here is with the valve and seat out
IMG_0300.JPG

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,922 Thanks
  • 17,296 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:54 PM

That stinks! It doesn't really look too bad though. If you have a fully capable repair shop locally, they should be able to repair / replace the seat and valve. I wouldn't worry about the piston head. It appears to be structurally sound. As far as the rest of the repairs, the seals shouldn't be too tough or expensive, and it depends what the marks in the counter weight are caused by. Best of luck with it, whatever you decide to do.

:ditto:

It looks like it can be saved

#6 bolens1053 OFFLINE  

bolens1053

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1997
  • 53 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:16 PM

I think it can be saved I have an 8hp briggs that the seat kept popping out on. I talked to a guy who fixes small engines and he said put the seat back in and on the very edge of it use a punch and kind of make a dent on the edge of the block and were the seat starts.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,466 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:56 PM

I think it can be saved I have an 8hp briggs that the seat kept popping out on. I talked to a guy who fixes small engines and he said put the seat back in and on the very edge of it use a punch and kind of make a dent on the edge of the block and were the seat starts.

That is called "Swedging" the seat. You can also get over-sized seats and have a machine shop bore the head to accept the new seat. This is very repairable, and most machine shops can fix you up. Good Luck!!
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#8 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,408 Thanks
  • 1,329 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 09:03 PM

It should not be to tough for a machine shop to handle. The piston integrity appears to be OK. As for the marks on the counter weight, it depends on the cause of the marks. you should be OK with repair instead of a repower.

Geno

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,992 Thanks
  • 4,057 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:40 AM

My '73 G14 Bolens did that very thing back about 1993. I took it apart, cleaned the burrs off the head so the seat would lay as it should. Then I took a hammer and punch to it as bolens1053 said in post #6. I sold that tractor to a family member in 1999 but know to this day that seat is still held tight and the engine runs fine. I reused the old valve because a new exhaust valve at that time [retail] was about $60. :mecry: Something about what it was made of to handle the heat.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,985 Thanks
  • 28,941 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 09:48 AM

Had an 18 Briggs twin that did this on both exhaust cyl. Found out the reason was the aftermarket mufflers let it cool down too fast and the different metals were shrinking at different rates.

We made a bunch of small dimples around , swedgeing slightly so it was a press fit. Before we put the seat in, we put a skim coat of JB weld and after, we put the seat in, we went around and swedged around the edge too. We added some piping to try to recreate a similar length exhaust to original. Lasted another year at least and was a runner when it ended up getting sold.

#11 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 01:18 PM

hello every one i got some parts to fix the engine but i ran into some problems the engine that was at the scrap yard got bought and a guy i know had bought it so i met up with the guy that had the parts and his house 30 min away from me well he was in town and he was 10 min away so we met up and i had brought the stator and head well the stator i have is 10 amp and the one he had was 20 and the fly wheels are different and he said that the fly wheel was at the house so out i go i got the fly wheel and the solid state pin id broke i get the head and i go home
i got the
head
stator
valves
valve springs
collets
and most of the top end for
$50
here are the problems
valve seat in new head is a little lose not alot
plug on stator was different just cut the old one off and put the one from the 10 amp
fixed fly wheel
so do i leave the head alone or do i fix it ? how should i fix it with out taking valve seat out i heard you can get like Liquid metal thats penetrating like a lock tight
IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0321.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0323.JPG IMG_0324.JPG

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 02:57 PM

In a case of a loose valve seat, you just go around the edge with a prick punch.Doing that locks it in place. There may even be an old thread with pictures form someone that did this. I know I've even seen pictures in some repair manuals. If I find any I will post them for you.

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 03:05 PM

Ok here is a picture valves1.gif I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Gtractor, IamSherwood and 8tyman8 have said thanks

#14 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 10:24 PM

so as chris and many others said peen it in that i did will try to get the motor together tomorrow and hopefully start it on Monday or Tuesday

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,985 Thanks
  • 28,941 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:13 PM

When we had to do that, we roughed up the surfaces a little and put in some JB weld. Wasn't sure, but it was suggested by someone smarter than I. Held up very well.