jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 03:38 PM

Just did a little custom tilling for a friend who is willing to pay me the going rate. What does anyone here charge for tilling or what have you seen charged? Charge by hour, square feet, equipment fee, base fee? Thanks much!

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:17 PM

$60/hr...minimum of 1 hr.......With gas going up the way they say, it might be $65 this year...I use these.

Posted Image

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Poncho,
Is that per machine? or for both? with or without sod? how many passes?

Thanks,
Bill

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 01:43 PM

That sounds reasonable Poncho. I learnd when I had my lawn care business(the hard way) that you have to charge enough to make a bit of profit and accumulate enough to replace equipment.
When doing work for friends and family, I work for a bit less.
But if you work too cheap, you lessen the percieved value of your service.
And the 1 hour minumum helps to defray the time spent loading and unloading and transporting your machine.

I live in a little town of 18,000, but loading, traveling across town and unloading to do the job could kill the better part of an hour.
Most heavy equipment operators have a loading fee and loaded mile charge. I don't know if I would go that far,
But as Poncho said, with fuel costs it might come to it in the near future.

I'm the last one to advocate gouging.

But it also makes for unfriendly relations if you are undercutting those in the area who are doing the work professionably. A good relationship with the pros can lead to more business. They will often refer you if the job is not suitable for their equipment, and yours is better suited for the job.

You best way to determine correct pricing for your area is to find out what the pro's are charging. For a friend or family I would take the going rate and then factor in a 10%-15% discount. It's a good idea to write up an invoice for the full amount and show the discount deduction and balance.
Because it can vary greatly from region to region.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 30, 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:02 PM

I used to have just the machine with the tiller.......I would advertise showing what I used. Should have seen some of the calls I got. People wanting me to till 5+ acres, that sort of thing. I told them to call a guy with farm tractors and all the equipment......I had to then say in the ads that I just do gardens, max 100x100 or so. ......I also got a lot of calls to break up sod and do a virgin garden. I had to tell them that I cant do that with just the tiller as it would wreck it. I then added the plow. Plowing up sod and tilling it is still rough on the equipment, plus a lot of the grass tends to grow back the first year....

when I say minimum of one hour, I tell them that I am going to work at it for that hour, so depending on the size of the garden, you may get a few passes or many. I also dont charge for my travel time, I am there for the hour.....If its a long comute to the site, I will ask for some extra for the mileage

Edited by poncho62, March 30, 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#6 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 09:25 PM

This is not me but I ran across it
http://nmi.craigslis...2930638049.html

#7 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Greg,
Rather odd pricing. 100 square feet is $50 and 400 square feet is $100 but I guess since he is already there why not?

With my rotospade 700 square feet could cost me over $800 in parts.

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 07:32 AM

That was what I thought too Bill, 4 times the size, twice the price. On the other hand you may be right as it may be not a whole lot more time once you get at it.