#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for that Papastractor, what year Sears catalog is that one from ?

A tired brain missed the date you put off to the side of the cataloge.
The wan is a neat find the whole unit compleat is almost unheard of, sprayers are not common being made for a short amount of time before the Suburbans was being made.
The compressor was also mounted to a frount mounted tank with adjustable spay wans, here's my uncle's 1952 sprayer before they when to the rear mounted tank : http://www.google.co...I6fypwi0zfvmVrQ

Edited by trowel, March 31, 2012 - 06:54 AM.

• DB1 and PaPasTractor have said thanks

#17 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 12:10 PM

Trowel, Thanks for that pic. Brought back memories of my Grandsfather out tending to his small orchard. He had the same half tub srayer as that but unfortunately it rusted out over time and my uncle told me it went to scrap years ago. I haven't been to the old barn for awhile to look around but it is possible that some of the parts are still there. Thanks again
  • trowel said thank you

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 05:25 PM

You are most welcomed, another reason the sprayers are very sought after is as you stated, rotted out so many were reduced to the frame and pump, the hose is another part that is highly sought after, it is made with the old rubber that becomes very brittle over time.
You have a nice spray unit there it seems, keep it covered and wip it down with oil or some kind of preservatives.
Im very happy to have brought back good memorys, when i show my tractors at the engine shows my most best time ever spent was reliving old memorys and being tought how it all works, with that being stated PaPastractor, could you tell us a little more about your father's Orchard and how he used the sprayer, i would love to hear it.
  • DB1 said thank you

#19 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Ahh, Grandpa's Orchard. Great times spent there. It was out in front of the farm by the highway. I remember it being huge, but it really wasn't that large at all. It had around 15 to 20 apple trees that were different varieties of "reds" and 2 or 3 yellows. He also had 2 apricots a red cherry and 1or 2 pear trees that I remember. I remember blossom time in the spring, it smelt so good. My brothers, my cousins and I played around out there alot. Climbing those trees (gettin' trouble for it) rotten apple fights in the fall ( gettin' yelled at for that too) and at night, well those "Big" trucks would go by on the highway and.......... I won't say no more cause now-a-days they would put us in jail. Grandpa & Grandma and the rest of the family used everything from that orchard. Fresh pies, jams and jellies, and everyone canned alot then. The best thing to come from that orchard was Grandpas "Apple Jack". I think I was around 9 or 10 when I got to sample the "Jack". It was sippin" stock and you learned that real fast. That recipe went to heaven with Grandpa and it sure is missed today. I was told that one of my cousins by marriage has the recipe but I don't know for sure. I remember after blossom that Grandpa would hook the sprayer to the front of the David Bradley and mix his stuff ( don't know what) for the trees. I would ask him whats he doin' and he say gettin' ready to spray for worms. I would say fish worms and he would laugh and say no, apple worms. My job was to drag the step ladder he would use to help reach the top of the trees. I would walk beside him, no taller than that big tractor (it was to me), all the way to the front of the house where I would have to stop. I wasn't allowed out in the orchard during spraying time. Time to go play with the dogs. After Grandpa was finished, I would hear that tractor headed for the barn and take off running. I would help him what I could with tools and rags and such, unhook that sprayer and more than likely hook up the cultivator. I asked my Uncle one time what model the DB was. He said he didn't know off hand but said they got it new when he came home from Korea. That Bradley was used around the farm for just about everything except the main plow in the spring ( Ford 8n 2 bottom) and potato diggin' also the Ford. I remember asking my Uncle if the engine on the DB was original and he laughed and said "heck no" thats like the third one. That tractor was a worker. The old Bradley still sits over in the barn today and one day I will get to it. My uncle has said when ever I am ready to come get it. I know once it is here and re-done, it will be my pride and joy and will never leave the Family.
  • trowel, DB1 and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Mines was my fathers 1965 Sears SS12, was a worker also for many years, we have apple trees at the farm, two new whips were planted last summer, something of a small Orchard is being started.
It is one thing to collect a tractor but i figured yours was a little closer to the heart, my uncle collects DBs also because his father had one.
My grandfather searved in Korea, FO, Artillery, detachment of the Army Rangers, Mostly 105 Howitzers because it was easier and quicker to move, he called steel rain onto hundreds of Koreans.

Thanks so much for that, time changes thing but a memory is for a life time.
  • DB1 and PaPasTractor have said thanks

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 07:22 AM

I picked up a old 2 cyl. air compressor that they were throwing out at work because the pulley side bearing was shot and there really wasn't a replaceable bearing kind of just ran on the cast end cover .Pretty sure a bushing could be made and find parts to make it work with my DB.  I was wondering if you ever  made bracket/frame to mount yours ?   Thanks Al

• trowel said thank you