• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• Member No: 7361
  • 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hey guys ive been away for awhile getting my Chor Trac ready for spring work and 1st couple times ran amazing. I am having an issue where when im tilling it bogs done when comes accross too much for the 3hp to handle but when i used it the first time and did my row it ran great. It starts good then if I put a load on it meaning engaging the tiller it starts to have a little issue like not enough power then works through it then I put in ground and it does good then seems to be intermitent but it will bog down and die. When i start to here it bog I lift up and the tines are out of the soil and it will still die. My Chor Trac is basically a simplicity LC, engine is a braggs 3hp and tiller attachment is the smaller 12". Any ideas would be great. Thanks for looking guys.

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Sounds like the gear-boxes might need oils change or the load/idle speed screw on the engine's carb needs to be opened a little more and fine-tuned with the high speed screw.
Also sounds like the carb needs to be dissasembled and cleaned, do you have a in line fuel filter ?

Edited by trowel, March 29, 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#3 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 09:58 AM

No inline fuel filter, its a metal line. Carb is brand new I adjusted it and it ran great first few times out even with load it was like a tank. I can turn the pulley freely by hand and it will keep turning if i give it a spin on the tiller. when you say geaar box oil you mean engine?

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Old metal fuel tank, some rust may have found it's way into the carb, by gearbox i meant the tiller and tractor's chaincase, my bad, oil may have thickened making the engine strain a little harder.
The more i think about it the more i think it's a spark issue, what is the gap you have set the spark plug and ignition points to ?

Edited by trowel, March 29, 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 10:53 AM

I have to run again, things to do, there are members on this fourm who are very helpfull and can help you further on this.
On the spark plug set to .025 on the points set to .022, see if it helps.
Lator.

#6 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 11:09 AM

sorry gap and ignition points are a little over my head. Im kind of confused why it would run well for a while then the spark plug or ignition points would be out of wack? If it was a spark plug issue wouldnt it not even start or run well?

#7 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,455 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Some of the parts of your engine will get hot when running, like the coil. As it get hottter it will produce less spark. A bad coil will make you think you have a carb problem, as it will mostly show up at the high end of the rpm's. Bad spark plug can do the same thing.
If the engine dies when you tilt it up then i'd say you got some trash floating around in side the carb.
The gearcase of the till unit should have grease in it, and there should be 3 zerks, one on top of the case, one between the drive pulley and the case, and one down in the lower end.

#8 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 11:50 AM

oh awesome thanks, I will start there and see what she does. do you know where the info is for setting the spark plug gap?

#9 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 12:36 PM

I see the settings from tractorholic

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 12:49 PM

I see the settings from tractorholic

Hey, im back for a min, heh, name is Trowel, Tractorholic is just because im always hevily under the influence of GTs and engines :dancingbanana: resulting in my lackadaisy eccentric personality.
Lauber1 is right on the nose with the coil problem, model 14, 19 and 23 all take the same coils and all have the same problem with coils going bad, first make absolutly shure that the carb is good to go and the plug/points gaps are right.

#11 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thanks guys, heres an update. I set the gaps per Trowel. It seemed to help, but now I have a reving going on it seems to wind up and down it doesnt die and pulls threw the soil. But sounds like an ambulance. I was going to try and reset carb but cant remeber settings. Or do you guys think its a coil issue?

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Sounds like it's hunting,
The engine is calling for fuel or spark, first start with the carb, remove the air-cleaner, the high speed screw (bottem of bowl) set at 2 turns out, load/idle speed screw set at 1 1/2 turns out, put air cleaner back on and fine-tune using the high speed screw eather in or out.
If that does not help then it's time for a magnatron coil, here are some links to help.
http://www.google.co...afD8_TEzXtiTuzA

This is the chepest place to by the coil.

http://www.google.co...pNCib2nu7sopRJw

Hopefully you won't need the coil but if so then we are here to help, it is very easy to change out the coil and if your willing to spend the money you could also get the ignition points too.

If money is tight here is a convertion from KD Redd (RIP) you might be willing to try.

http://www.google.co...ESf1V5pGHjImxAg
  • metalwiz said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:14 PM

If you could post a small vid if at all possible i should be able to note the difference between a normal hunt to a spark hunt, i will be working a double shift and two more shifts mon and tue, i will try and be around to help.
There are other very well inept to the Briggs Mag coil and will be able to help.

#14 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:44 PM

OK thanks, I will shoot vid tomorrow and get it up in the late afternoon. Thanks for all your help.

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 08:38 PM

Sydrio76, it has been brought to my attention that im making a lot of mistakes, i though your engine was a Model 19, it is not, im very sorry for giving you the wrong links for the wrong coil last night, you will need the Model 300 coil if it is bad.
I will get back to you ASAP.
http://gardentractor...12678-mistakes/