• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Alright guys, Dad's Bolens 800 and 1000 are making noises and I believe it is the clutch/driveshaft bearing. Are these a standard size bearing that I could get somewhere at a local shop or are they special and will need to be sourced?

I know there is a plate that sandwiches the bearing in place but it has been a little while since I had one apart.

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Alright guys, Dad's Bolens 800 and 1000 are making noises and I believe it is the clutch/driveshaft bearing. Are these a standard size bearing that I could get somewhere at a local shop or are they special and will need to be sourced?

I know there is a plate that sandwiches the bearing in place but it has been a little while since I had one apart.

there quite common if you take to tsc or a bearing supply place they should be a off the shelf part or they can get it in the next day
good luck
cheers
8tyman8
  • NUTNDUN and grand have said thanks

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:57 AM

The spherical self-aligning ball bearing with wide inner ring is a common bearing available through most any bearing supply house. ....It can be purchased separately, and you can re-use your existing flanges.

There are also needle bearings in the lower (clutched) pulley.

If the noise stops when the clutch is depressed, it is probably the ball bearing which is bad.

If the noise occurs even with the driveshaft stopped (clutch depressed) it's probably the needle bearings in the pulley making noise.

These bearings are pre-lubed, with no way of adding grease while installed.

Although not as common, the ball bearing on the input shaft of the transmission can also go bad, making noise which will stop when the driveshaft is stopped.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, March 29, 2012 - 08:59 AM.

• NUTNDUN and grand have said thanks

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks guys. I was hoping it was a common bearing. I know the one which I think is the 800 is the one where the noise stops once the clutch is depressed. The other one I think might make the noise all of the time but I am not sure. I have off Friday and we are going to tear into one of them.

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 01:49 PM

It's your call if you want to replace the bearing, or just try re-greasing it.

Once you get the bearing out, try shaking it. ....If it rattles, it needs to be replaced. .....If it doesn't rattle or feel rough when you turn it, you could try removing one side seal and re-packing it with grease and putting the seal back on.

The needle bearings in the clutched pulley can be greased or replaced, depending on their condition.
  • grand said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:41 PM

I've had to replace a couple of the large Bearings as well on my Bolens.
When they are worn out they do tend to make a pretty noticeable whine when the driveshaft is spinning.

Here's a pic of one I did a while ago

Attached Thumbnails

• clutch 003.JPG

• grand said thank you

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:44 PM

If all you need to do is replace the self aligning bearing in the front, then it will be an easy job.
As said before you can readily get those bearings.

#8 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3333
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:07 PM

I had the drive shaft, clutch and bearing support out of my 900 in January. The original reason was the forward clutch disc had disbonded from the pulley face. As with all things, when you take them apart, you open a complete can of worms and there were plenty of worms in my can. I removed the drive shaft and replaced both the front hangar bearing and the drive shaft bearing behind the drive pulley and clutch, as well as bonding new discs to the pulley. It's not exactly the kind of job one would want to do on a daily basis. I reccomend checking the clutch lining thinckness and replacing the lining and bearings if there is any wear, you'll thank yourself later.
  • grand said thank you

#9 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 05:45 PM

George and I had some quality shop time today. He had scheduled off from work quite some time ago thinking this would be the day we left for Canada to meet Will. That trip was completed last week,so today was shop time. We did take the drive shaft off of the 800. When I started it up George checked the drive shaft when I pressed the clutch and saw that it did not stop spinning. Once we had the assembly out he did some adjustments after we checked the bearings and didn't find any problems. We put the shaft back in place and after George did some more adjustments I fired the 800 up. No more noise ! I took the tractor for a drive down the driveway and it worked fine. Another problem solved and another great day.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, 800, driveshaft, clutch, bearing