#1 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 03:57 AM

ok im about to go domestic on my ol 316k :mad2: i have spent almost all winter (off and on) trying to get it running after the last mow last fall i shut her off and that was it she will crank and thats all i changed coil, condenser, points,plug, fuel pump, and rebuilt the carb and finally checked the timing.. ok fellas what am i missing????? itll pop but wont start if this keeps up im liable to throw a match at it lol i actually had to mow the yard with the push mower and im way too fat for that..

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:32 AM

What engine is in this? Do you have good fuel flow to the pump? Points open and close okay? Good fire at the plug? Is it turning over fast enough?
  • pumpkintoter said thank you

#3 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:34 AM

I'm not the best source of help but I'll take stab at it 'til the experts show up. When I get to the "head-scratching point" , I walk away to clear my mind before I reach for the torch. :mad2: I have to remind myself of the basics. Looks like you're heading in the right direction-fuel and fire, then engines run-Are you getting fuel THROUGH the carb into the intake? Do you have fire (spark) at the plug and will it pop if you manually prime the intake-i.e. bypass the carb and spray in a little FRESH fuel? If the fire portion is good , it should do more than just pop-run for a short while 2-3 seconds. Also its easy to forget to check all the idiot switches (also known as lawyer switches) to see if they are made-I'm not that familiar with the 316 but don't they have seat and PTO interrupts? If its popping though, they probably are made OK.

Edited by Toolpartzman, March 29, 2012 - 04:37 AM.

#4 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:37 AM

What engine is in this? Do you have good fuel flow to the pump? Points open and close okay? Good fire at the plug? Is it turning over fast enough?

Gee-talk about timing---------

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:10 AM

Toter, I'm with Kenny and Tools, if she don't have spark or fuel, she won't run. I think you have a 316 Kohler?

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:16 AM

Someone else recently had a head-scratcher like you. They finally found a belt dragging that wasn't fully dis-engaged, it slowed the engine down just enough that it wouldn't start. If you are sure of fuel and fire, this might be something to check.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:23 AM

Do you have compression. That may sound like a stupid question but a stuck valve caused a Tecumseh I was working on to have no compression and of course it wouldn't start. The decompressor could be malfunctioning. You can see if it is working, as well as get a look at the overall valve action, by removing the access cover for the valve clearance adjustment and watching as you turn the engine over.The other thing to note is that you need a good connection from the Kohler chassis back to the battery - connection. You should have a blue snappy spark. If it's yellow and weak look for a bad connection somewhere in the ignition wiring. My k321 would barely run when I got it and then refused to run. It was a points problem in my case. I also had a blown HG which wasn't helping. Carb wise I think the Kohler manual gives different settings for the HS jet then the Deere service info. I found in my case it was too lean at the JD settings and ended up roughly where the Kohler manual said it should be.
I'm not sure if any of this will help but sometimes reading a bunch of suggestions will give a direction to go in. Don't give up on it. They are nice tractors and worth keeping out of the scrap heap.

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Being it pops, it sounds like you've got fuel and spark. And you've checked timing.
Was it getting gradually harder to start towards the end? If so, I'd lean towards
head gasket. New ones are cheap enough, and it never hurts to clean up the carbon
in there.

I had one of my Kohler K321s do that to me last fall.Replaced HG. Now it fires up, with barely
touching the key. I also put a new starter on it, as it was getting lazy, and not
cranking fast enough.

Edited by IamSherwood, March 29, 2012 - 06:42 AM.

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Someone else recently had a head-scratcher like you. They finally found a belt dragging that wasn't fully dis-engaged, it slowed the engine down just enough that it wouldn't start. If you are sure of fuel and fire, this might be something to check.

Try pulling the belt off of the pto clutch for the mower.

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:43 AM

I will trade you a strong running RF 110 with a great Model 38 deck for your 316. Heck, I will even deliver :smilewink:

Ok, here are a couple of thoughts..

- 300 series tractors have a fuel pump that can go bad. Will it run if you spray carb cleaner in carb? That would tell me it is not getting enough fuel.

- Is your spark good? If you stick a screwdriver in the plug boot and let it arc to the plug is the spark white/blue in color? If so then you have a solid spark.

If you have have fuel and fire then it could be a valve stuck open leading to no compression.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:05 AM

I suppose if something was wrong with the hydro it could make it harder to turn over but that would be way down on my list after checking out the basic stuff. Lots of thoughts here on possible trouble spots.

#12 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 11:17 AM

All of this being said, I went through a similar problem with my 120 when I got it. I replaced the same parts (no fuel pump on the gravity feed 100 series) and it came back to fuel. It would almost fire and then die. I ended up pulling the carb 3 different times to clean it. It seems that there was more dirt/gunk in the tank than I realized and it got in the needle of the carb and blocked flow. I could never find any pieces larger enough to see it has been fine since. The carb cleaner trick I mentioned above is what I used to track the problem down.

Edited by Trav1s, March 29, 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#13 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for all the input fellas i changed the fuel pump (those things arent getting any cheaper) and still no go :( oh and yeah its the kohler version. I have to get back on the road in a few hours so im gonna just leaved it alone like Toolz suggested before i go nuts on it .. i guess when i get home im gonna do a compression check its got plenty of spark i know that for sure it got me pretty good lol. it just baffles me it was running like a champ just shut it off to take a phone call and now nothin.

one more thing if i spray either or carb cleaner in it she tries to run but wont stay running and i installed a new inline filter to see if that helped but no..

Toolz the only idiot switch i know of on this is the pto switch but when its on it wont even crank over i suppose i could look at that area next after my compression check..

Howard i have already disconnected the belts i had that same issue on a snapper once but that wasnt it but that has happened to me before..

Trav1s you sure know how to make an offer at the right time lol gonna have to pass but ask me again in a few weeks when im really mad and have to mow the yard by hand again :thumbs:..

thanks for all the tips fellas

#14 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Would a compression test pickup a headgasket?

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:54 PM

It really sounds like you have a stuck valve to me, or maybe head gasket. You said it ran well when you parked it, so I would really lean towards the stuck valve.