• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• Member No: 4743
  • 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:53 PM

I've just finished repainting the 60" deck under my 430. Wanted to change the old belt with the new one. Don't have a manual for the 60" only the 50". Anybody out there know if you can change the belt without removing a pulley? I can't even get the old belt between the pulleys so I assume I have to remove one. Any help out there?

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:54 AM

I am not a JD guy so I can't help,but someone should be along after a bit.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:15 AM

Bob, the problem with the JD decks is that the instructions for operating and maintenance aren't in the tractor manuals but in an individual manual that comes with the deck. This seems to often get lost and it's hard to find the info. There are some 430 owners on here who may be able to help but it may take some time to get a response.

#4 DocG OFFLINE  

DocG

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5241
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:42 AM

If anybody out there has the 60" deck operators manual, would you please let me know also? Thanks in advance.

#5 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 04:44 AM

Hey Bob, Would love to see pic's of your painted deck and JD430. You may have to scratch the paint on the deck just a little. There are four bolts that hold the gearbox mounting plate that will need to be removed to lift the gearbox and plate up and out of the way to get the belt between the drive pulley and the blade pulley. Reattach your idler spring and you should be good to go,
  • AZGreenBob said thank you

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 05:17 AM

Hey Bob, Would love to see pic's of your painted deck and JD430.

Yes,I would also like to see it all painted up.

#7 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:19 PM

To Tractorholic;

When I pull the bolts on the gearbox to lift it for belt replacement, do I lose the lube out of the gearbox? If so, I need to know so I can have extra available before I do it. Just scored a 3 point hitch for her and as soon as she's back together, I'll do some photos. Still looking for reasonable prices for decals and a replacement seat. Mine is not good. Last thing I need is a 42" or 48" Cat 0 Gannon. Found a 48" here locally but it is a Cat 1 and is too wide.

Thx,

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 06:16 PM

No lube loss. The holes are blind.

#9 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 05:30 PM

olcowhand;

Thanks. Hope to get this done this weekend. Since I'm getting laid off next Friday, I should have more time to spoil on my 430.
I will also be installing the 3 point that I just got. I will need a center link for it. Any suggestions for a source?

Thx.
AZGreenBob

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:55 PM

You can get a cat 0 top link at TSC (Tractor Supply Co), or several are on ebay now. But you might check with our site sponsors.

http://www.ebay.com/...p link&_sacat=0

Sorry to hear of the layoff. But at least you'll get some GT time!

#11 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 01:38 PM

The 430 finally lives again!

Got it all together after a very long battle. I had not even had the battery in the tractor since last July. Hooked up the battery, turned the key on for 30 seconds, prayed for divine assistance and hit the starter. Love the sound of that little Yanmar!!!!!!!!! I don't think it made a full turn of the flywheel and it was running. Ran great, smooth through the entire range and no hesitation, smoking or anything. Took it for a short run around the property and brought it back to the garage pad. Deere really built them good! That's when the fun starts and the questions..

Always have to have a few issues after major work. I have a tranny fluid leak and a coolant leak. The coolant seems to be coming from the area behind and above the PTO on the rear of the engine. Could that be a bad gasket or O ring on the water pump that I put in? Tranny fluid is gathering above the upper suction hose connection and dripping down off the bottom of the transaxle near the lower suction hose connection. I also still have an oil leak on the diesel. It tends to drip onto the center of the top of the muffler and drain down. It appears that the upper bolt that holds the muffler bracket in place may be stripped. Oil tends to pool and drip there as well. If that is stripped, does that also mean that it would leak oil there or am I looking at a rear main seal?

Any ideas as to what I should look for or have you experienced any of these problems before? This has really turned into a battle. She looks much better and really shines for a rattle can paint job. I have not replaced the seat or any decals or foot pads yet. Wanted to see how things would turn out when I tried to start her up. Obviously, she did not get hot enough to cause any problems there. Here are two pictures of the tractor and the deck. It turned out pretty well but I have a couple spots to touch up. New belt and 75W140 in the gear box and all fittings greased to within an inch of their lives.

One last question. I tried to shift to low range on the transaxle but could not get the lever to move. What is the sequence to make the shift? Do I pull up, push down, scream at it or what to move from right to left and vice versa? I am assuming it is stuck from sitting for a year.

All assistance greatly appreciated.

Edited by AZGreenBob, June 07, 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#12 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Latest update. Found the coolant leak. Loose clamp on the waterpump and a loose fitting. Got that taken care of. Tranny leak appears to be the suction hose weeping when in use. Will dump the lube in the tranny, install new hose and refill. Planned to service tranny anyway. Still working on the oil leak on the Yanmar. No signs of oil above the muffler, only on the side facing the engine and then drips down and off the bottom of the muffler. How tough is it to pull the muffler and what should I be looking for as far as damage or problem areas?

Thanks to all.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 03:43 PM

Good the water leak was a simple fix. Not having a 430 of my own, I can't really help with the oil leak. Are you sure it is oil, or could it be diesel fuel that looks like oil after running down a dirty engine? My BIL had that problem.