• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• Member No: 8472
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Now that you used your sifter a few times are there any design changes that you would have made ? Is the area to trap rocks and grass working well ? I would like to make one too.What I have to start with is 1/2" ss screen mounted on a ( crib ? ) frame 6' x about 38" . I could cut it down for a different size if needed . With the PK's 36" bucket it would make loading easy . Thanks , Al

I haven't been back here in a while... changes planned since the sifting screen finally gave out... was predicted... I plan on welding in a piece of 1" expanded metal to the screen frame. this will basically make the screen much more stable & last a very long time. I plan on adding 9 pins to pin on the lighter screens on top for reduction in sifting sizes. They will fit over the expanded metal & be secured down with clips so I can add 1/2 inch & 1/4 inch screens to the sifter... The sifter has done very well & i have had no other problems this last summer with it other than screen break down. I need to fix the catch trough better as I had used zip ties to hold it together as I needed to get the garden done... as expected, a few zip ties broke but not a problem. I plan on using steel strips & nuts/bolts to fix that problem... the catch trough did very well.... As I stated before, this was an off the cuff build with no real plans to go by so finding problems is all part of the build & test stage of the project but so far, it did as expected. You can make your sifter any size you want... I made mine the width of the tractor 32x32 to fit the rows. Keep in mind that the bigger it is, the stronger you will have to make it since pressures & weight of materials pushed through it will increase the stress factor of materials used... also, if it is to heavy, moving it around with the tractor... turning & raising it up with the tractor will be much harder to do. I also may adapt my drive system to use an old Mantis tiller for the power source of the sifter. I can make a mount to the frame to add the small tiller & basically use the tine shaft as my actuation drive... just a thought as the power of the tiller will be good & I can control the speed by throttle controll. Since the tiller has a clutch, I can set it to idle to stop the system when cleaning it out & can also control the sifting speed to my needs.... My brain wheels a turning...lol.... I will be doing the modafications over this winter & should be ready to go in the spring time... good luck on your build & hope it works out well for you... I still also have plans in my head for a trencher attachment. It will dig a trench up to 10 or more inches deep with 2 inch or wider width for laying sprinkler system lines or what ever I need a trench for. this will be a very easy build compared to the dirt sifter. The gear reduction of the tractor had emense power & will work good for this attachment...

Edited by howard H, December 05, 2012 - 06:08 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#47 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Glad to hear the sifter worked well with only minor problems. Sounds like a cool little trencher you have in mind.

#48 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:53 PM

Good to hear things worked out well .I still havn't done anything on my yet but you give me some inspirations , Al

#49 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 10:08 PM

Well folks, it is 2013... I made changes in my dirt sifter with the screen. I welded 3/4 inch angle iron for the screen frame & welded in a cross support under the screen. I also welded bolts to the frame to change screens... right now I have the 1/2 inch under the 1/4 inch screen. I wire wrapped the screen to the cross frame to keep it from flexing & breaking the wires., so far I have sifted many yards of dirt & it shows no dammage. I am getting my videos up on you tube soon & post the links to them. I have also built a whole new contraption you might like, gravity feed & city water if needed drip irrigation system for the garden & also 5 - 37 ft x 4 ft planter boxes for my rows... no more invasive grass & weeds. The videos show all of my 2013 garden using the Edko & my dirt sifter... I will post the video's soon... I will keep you posted....

• Alc said thank you

#50 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:26 AM

Ok, here is the video's of the sifter changes & how it is working along with new surprises & builds using the Edko & the dirt sifter... enjoy....

video #1 ... http://youtu.be/KCOOoOO5-Dk 

video #2 ...

• boyscout862 said thank you

#51 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:42 AM

I'm looking foward to watching your videos (  fitlers here at work won't let lol )   Those are pretty big boxes you made 37 x4 !  Did you have to go below the ground level to keep the unwanted grasses out ? I'm going to have to pull out all my strawberry plants soon because some type of ground ivy inveaded it . Think the only thing to save them is just pull out the strawberries and plant them in anothe spot and Round-Up the old spot .

#52 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:26 AM

I'm looking foward to watching your videos (  fitlers here at work won't let lol )   Those are pretty big boxes you made 37 x4 !  Did you have to go below the ground level to keep the unwanted grasses out ? I'm going to have to pull out all my strawberry plants soon because some type of ground ivy inveaded it . Think the only thing to save them is just pull out the strawberries and plant them in anothe spot and Round-Up the old spot .

Yes, I went 12 inches below ground level to get below the root level for anything to grow & had to go that deep till I hit clean dirt.... just too deep... with the liner below that root line, I should stop any invasion in the planter boxes... if so, it wil be super easy to control any that do pop up... also the planter boxes can also be green houses in early spring. Instead of just one row of crops in one row, I can tripple my crops & rotate them all year long... also with the irrigation system I custom built, watering will be semi automatic & constant drip keeping everything growing good. Got buyers for my produce & will also be selling at the week end farmers market. I have so many more options for crops & can rotate them all year long... Got a 3 acre section to till up & will be using a 3000 gallon water tank gravity feed drip system to grow watermellons next year... the ground goes down hill & will work great... Can use hale pump to get the water from the big pond that we built to keep the tank full...

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#53 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:33 AM

oh, by the way... I am going to use cedar wood chips througout the planter boxes for insect control... got those blasted fire ants & they love to tear up  the garden along with other bugs. need to go get a big amount of rabbit poo that is ready & am using 300 gal water tub for a mulching composter for making my own compost since it will need lots of it. Now if I can find a way to keep the darn barn cats out of my boxes as their bathroom, i will be doing good. 2 boxes will be planted in kandy corn & should produce over 200 ears of corn in each box... After the corn is done around the first of july, I will be planting heirloom purple hull peas in the boxes... I also have planted in the first box, xtra large super sweet onions & 1 row of red salad onions...around 400 onions in one box.... Need to wait till the seeds sprout before I can set my drip lines for each corn plant... with so much watering options, I have cut out any drought problems for good... so many people here in East Texas try to grow a garden but it seems to always go dry & they loose their crops... not me this time since I have several ways to get constant water to my crops....

Edited by howard H, March 15, 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#54 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 03:02 PM

For those who wish to follow my garden progress I have started a thread in the garden section called ....

Decided To Use Large Planter Boxes For Garden With Irrigation System

I will keep updating any changes here in this thread to the dirt sifter & my gardening stuff will be in the other thread.... Feel free to ask me questions here for the sifter... gardening in the other...thanks...

#55 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hey Howard, I have an off topic question for you. Your videos are super smooth when you are moving around what kind of camera are you using. I see in shadows of the still pics that it's a small hand held. Thanks Greg.

#56 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hey Howard, I have an off topic question for you. Your videos are super smooth when you are moving around what kind of camera are you using. I see in shadows of the still pics that it's a small hand held. Thanks Greg.

I am using a GE a950 digital camera 9.1 that also has video & sound & I also use a 8 gig memory card... not sure why my video's are not shaky but I do use you tube anti shake option when I upload my video's. It works wonders. I am very pleased with this $100 camera... works just as a digital cam corder ....

#57 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 04:33 PM

That was trick the stabilizer on Youtube, didn't know that option was there. Good job on the project! Thanks for videos and pictures.

#58 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:31 PM

I like the upgrades to both the sifter, and your garden!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edko, sifter, 2 wheeler, shaker