• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• Member No: 8472
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Well, I manged to get the skirting frame built yesterday. Today I got the skirting installed from the conveyor belt. I realized that the metal catch trough was not going to work since the tire was in the way so I decided to just use more conveyor belt. I made a sub frame to attach the belt. it works a lot better & is very strong so it should hold a lot of debris/rock. I ran out of rebar but got more at the farm. I still need to add a few more pieces but the trough is basically done. The metal trough would not allow me to remove the tire if i needed to fix it. The belt is flexible & I am able to remove the tire.The whole thing is getting close to the 50lbs. The trough is angled down so when the debris falls into it, it will go to the front of the trough..... Here is a video... well #2 but it is just for the skirting & trough build but there will be a video #3 tomorrow of it sifting dirt & rock....

Edited by howard H, April 06, 2012 - 10:55 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#32 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 03:46 AM

Looking good, Howard! Pretty nifty tool you have designed there. Only thing I can see would be the zip ties. They will harden and break over time, especially with the shaking going on.
  • howard H said thank you

#33 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 04:59 AM

Howard,that looks great.Nice job.

#34 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Looking good, Howard! Pretty nifty tool you have designed there. Only thing I can see would be the zip ties. They will harden and break over time, especially with the shaking going on.

yup, they will but that is what I had for now. I am out of time to get my garden in but in a pinch it was either duct tape or zip ties...lol... going to use it as is for now to get the garden in & will either lace it with good strong wire or rivet them later... that was my plan was to rivet them but I failed to find my rivet gun, got tons of good heavy rivets but no gun

#35 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 08:43 AM

Yup thats the trouble here also, never a gun around when you need it.

#36 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 05:55 PM

OK, here is video #3 of the home made dirt sifter in action. I did a test area that had lots of grass & weeds to show how it worked. It rained last night & the ground was still wet but I managed to give it a go . The loud rattling that you hear is just the lever for the belt tensioner rattling. I need to fix that....The sifter worked great... video #4 is one row completed.I have a big pile of broken up cement that has a lot of smaller pieces & dirt to sift next so there will be a video #5 showing how it works with rock... here is video #3....

Edited by howard H, April 09, 2012 - 06:53 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#37 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Here is the video #4 results of sifting a full row of my garden.

Edited by howard H, April 09, 2012 - 06:04 PM.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#38 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Your sifter came out really nice ! Great job ! , Al

#39 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Your sifter came out really nice ! Great job ! , Al

Thanks, been one heck of a home built project. I still have a couple things to build for it but it is useable now. Running late on getting the garden in but the plants are in pots right now growing. Tomorrow I will finish sifting the dirt & hope to get planting done.

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:34 AM

Looks real good, Howard! Does a good job sifting, a whole lot better than by hand!

#41 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:53 AM

That sifter does a real nice job. Nice videos too.

#42 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 08:41 AM

I got my garden sifted. It took about 1 day to do the whole garden... big garden.... The sifter worked great as expected... Here is my materials list as of now. mostly junk just laying around the place. I am now ready to change the base screen to expanded metal for better durability & the ability to sift rock without breaking the hardware cloth. 1/2 inch & 1/4 inch screen can be pined to the top with grommets & pins to change the screen size when size of sift matters & not have to change the whole main screen frame.

Materials used:
4 bed rails from 2 queen size beds...
these were used for the base frame, supports & the frame for the spindle drive assembly.
8 pieces of the tightening bars for chain link fence...
this was for the base screen frame. Welded together they are very strong.
axle shaft from straight shaft weed eater.
axle shaft for wheels, the steering shaft from the riding mower cut down to 2- 10 inch pieces. pins & washers used from the mower.
lots of 3.8 inch rebar for supports & frame for the skirting.
old single spindle assembly with tensioner & brake system from old 30" snapper riding mower deck.
steering parts from snapper rider for drive actuation rod.
2 bushings from 2 shock absorbers for the bushings used for the pivot point on the base screen.
The lever is from some of the metal found on the riding mower & the knob is welded to the edge.
wheels are from the front of the snapper mower
old conveyor belt for skirting. Strong, long lasting & pretty much indestructible since it is not a moving part.
Various nuts & bolts from mower & huge can full of saved misc.
springs & cables from saves & snapper mower.
1 ft of used fuel line from mower.
1 old fan belt from saved junk.
1 left rear fender from the riding mower for the drive system guard... this has yet to be cusomized & installed.

bought stuff:
3 rolls welding wire for flux wire welder @ $13 a roll.
hardware cloth bought for $16...
several cans of tractor paint ... $20
bag of 100 zip ties $4

Edited by howard H, April 13, 2012 - 04:24 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#43 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Glad it worked well for you! If you ran it all day long and it didn't break, then I'd say you have a winner there. Thanks for taking us along!
  • howard H and boyscout862 have said thanks

#44 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Glad it worked well for you! If you ran it all day long and it didn't break, then I'd say you have a winner there. Thanks for taking us along!

Thanks... it worked great all day even though the motor needs carb work & sputtered some. It is light enough to be able to lift it up with the tractor handles. I used the 1/4 inch screen over the 1/2 inch for a finer sift to get out all the roots that needed to go. Now I need to use the tractor & the turning plow to set my drainage ditch before the heavy rains come sunday night...2 -3 inches will wash out my garden. I am still trying out the attachments that I got with the Edko tractor. So far the tractor has been a big help in getting the garden done even though I have a big tractor with tiller & loader, using the Edko takes care of the small stuff that the massey 265 can't touch. :laughingteeth: :dancingbanana: :thumbs:

#45 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 05:42 AM

Now that you used your sifter a few times are there any design changes that you would have made ? Is the area to trap rocks and grass working well ? I would like to make one too.What I have to start with is 1/2" ss screen mounted on a ( crib ? ) frame 6' x about 38" . I could cut it down for a different size if needed . With the PK's 36" bucket it would make loading easy . Thanks , Al

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edko, sifter, 2 wheeler, shaker