Howard, that is a very impressive sifter. It looks like a nice fabrication job. You seem to have a clever design there.
Thanks, well here is an update with some pictures of the belt tensioner, brake & lever I built onto the unit. The spindle use to have a friction brake but it was rusted away so I made the lever & even used the deck knob & some other metal parts from the snapper mower/deck. I used a couple of the cables that were on the mower & modified/welded them together for the fit. It took me most of the day to get this right so when the lever is set forward, the belt disengages & the brake is applied to prevent any movemet of the unit while cleaning it out ... safety first .... I added a piece of fuel line over the brake cable & around the drum & there is a lock to lock the lever while it is disengaged, this fits in the slot by the knob. There is a stop for the lever when the belt is engaged. The spring adds the tension when the tensioner is up/engaged & the cable spring stretches to accomodate the brake cable tension at the botom end of the lever when disengaged. All in all, it is working well & no real problems have arised...Now I am woking on the sifter screen actuation rod. I thought about adding a spring but since the swivel connectors are adjustable, I opted not to add the spring. I can adjust the lift of the screen by turning the threaded rod.It can be changed from a 2" lift to a 3" lift by moving the rod bolt to a diferent hole... there will be 2 lift settings. I didn't get as far as I wanted to since the tensioner & barke was a little complicated to getting it right.
Edited by howard H, March 31, 2012 - 11:11 PM.