• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• Member No: 8472
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Howard, that is a very impressive sifter. It looks like a nice fabrication job. You seem to have a clever design there.

Thanks, well here is an update with some pictures of the belt tensioner, brake & lever I built onto the unit. The spindle use to have a friction brake but it was rusted away so I made the lever & even used the deck knob & some other metal parts from the snapper mower/deck. I used a couple of the cables that were on the mower & modified/welded them together for the fit. It took me most of the day to get this right so when the lever is set forward, the belt disengages & the brake is applied to prevent any movemet of the unit while cleaning it out ... safety first .... I added a piece of fuel line over the brake cable & around the drum & there is a lock to lock the lever while it is disengaged, this fits in the slot by the knob. There is a stop for the lever when the belt is engaged. The spring adds the tension when the tensioner is up/engaged & the cable spring stretches to accomodate the brake cable tension at the botom end of the lever when disengaged. All in all, it is working well & no real problems have arised...Now I am woking on the sifter screen actuation rod. I thought about adding a spring but since the swivel connectors are adjustable, I opted not to add the spring. I can adjust the lift of the screen by turning the threaded rod.It can be changed from a 2" lift to a 3" lift by moving the rod bolt to a diferent hole... there will be 2 lift settings. I didn't get as far as I wanted to since the tensioner & barke was a little complicated to getting it right.GEDC0592.JPG GEDC0595.JPG GEDC0596.JPG GEDC0598.JPG

Edited by howard H, March 31, 2012 - 11:11 PM.

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 10:20 PM

You really are putting a lot of thought into this, right down to the break, this is turning out nice already, im realling like what im seeing :thumbs:
  • howard H said thank you

#18 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 10:29 PM

You really are putting a lot of thought into this, right down to the break, this is turning out nice already, im realling like what im seeing :thumbs:

Thanks, when I custom build things, I try to go all out & make it complicated... it makes my brain work better....lol.... I never put it down on paper, I use my imagination to build mechanical stuff... lots of staring at it & thinking on how it would work if I did it this way or that....
  • trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 04:18 AM

Howard, the thing about building things is it is a look into someones brain and shows how they think, your personality is shown through your hands and says a lot about yourself. There is nothing i enjoy more then watching or helping someone build something from scratch, it becomes unique and unique is different, a step away frome the normal day to day same old.
Looking great, im learning from this, thanks.

#20 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 12:35 PM

I got the screen---1/2" built & mounted to the frame this morning before the rains came. In the pictures you can see the screen in the down position & in the up position using the drive sysyem. I did manage to get the unit mounted to the tractor & did a power drive sifting test... it worked very well... I tried several throttle speeds & even at the idle speed, the sifter preformed well. Next I will be adding the skirt on top to keep the debris from falling off the sides. I have it headed in the downhill direction & will have a catch trough for it to drop in.... I figured that it would bounce a lot but I was quite surprized that it was fairly calm .... so far so good!GEDC0600.JPG GEDC0601.JPG so far so good!
  • Bruce Dorsi and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Looking good, Howard! Hope all goes well with it, you spent a lot of brain time on this!

#22 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Well I am getting closer to getting this sifter done & it is starting to look like factory made. I built the axle & frame for the wheels from the snapper mower & mounted the wheels. I managed to have some what of a decent day before the severe storms hit here in East Texas to get it painted red. The sifter has been tested with the tractor & it preformed very well. I wanted to get the skirting on it but ran out of time today but tomorrow that will be done. I still have a few ideas to ponder over for the catch tray. As for the 2nd screen...1/4 inch mesh, it can be laid right over the 1/2inch & clipped down so I will not have to make another screen frame. I am going to use one of the rear fenders from the snapper mower for a guard over the pulleys & tensioner. It measured up really nice & will add protection from getting yourself caught in it. It will be on a rod that will allow it to be lifted to service the drive system...another safety feature... These update pictures show the progress so far...I am getting closer but with so many ideas...lol & so far it is under 50lbs... The axles that the tires mounted on was the old steering wheel shaft from the snapper & the center of the axle is from an old straight shaft weed eater tube. they fit together perfectly. for the most part, this has been made from scrap trash other than the screen material & paint... the rest is from junk materials.
GEDC0611.JPG GEDC0613.JPG

Edited by howard H, April 03, 2012 - 10:35 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 06:48 AM

That is going to be a neat and very useful piece of equipment. GREAT WORK.

#24 tom603 OFFLINE  

tom603

• Member No: 774
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Well that's a slick rig Howard.Can't wait to see it in action.I like homebuilt stuff.Thanks for shareing.
Tom in NH.

#25 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:01 PM

That looks like one interesting build! I look forward to seeing the finished project now. Great job :thumbs:

I am almost done with it. I finally posted a video of it working on you tube... click on this link & it will take you there. VRiamWqitWY

Edited by howard H, April 04, 2012 - 11:03 PM.

• chris m said thank you

#26 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:06 PM

Well that's a slick rig Howard.Can't wait to see it in action.I like homebuilt stuff.Thanks for shareing.
Tom in NH.

I posted a video on you tube showing it working... here is the link, just click on it & it will take you there....VRiamWqitWY
  • tom603 said thank you

#27 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:18 PM

Ok all you GT fans, here is that video of my Edko powered dirt sifter. It is not completely finished yet but soon it will be. I am now working on the skirt, & adding pins to the screen frame so I can add different size screen & I still have to complete the guard for the pulley assemly. This is going to be made of the rear fender of the Snapper mower. It will pivot so I can service the drive unit if needed.... click on this video link to watch the video....

Edited by howard H, April 05, 2012 - 08:15 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#28 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:24 PM

That is such a cool contraption you designed and built!!!! Loved watching your video! GREAT JOB!! :thumbs: Looking forward to video#2

#29 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:45 PM

That is such a cool contraption you designed and built!!!! Loved watching your video! GREAT JOB!! :thumbs: Looking forward to video#2

Thanks, I will probably be posting the next video in a few days. I wiil sift dirt & rock. I also noticed this months contest & will probably try to get it entered in the contest since that is the theme this time... need all the nomination votes I can get. it has been a fun project to build. I love making contraptions from just basically junk... trash to treasures.... I can also make this without the drive system & use a hand crank to basically do the same thing. This is good for the home gardeners & landscapers. It can be turned by hand very easily so maybe I may build one of those too. It will have a 3rd wheel in front & can be pulled like a wagon to the desired spot... put in a couple of scoops of dirt & crank the handle. I am also thinking on a powered one like this one but have it's own motor built right on the unit for those who do not have a tractor or power source to run it... maybe a weed eater motor with clutch....

#30 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 12:04 AM

Thanks, I will probably be posting the next video in a few days. I wiil sift dirt & rock. I also noticed this months contest & will probably try to get it entered in the contest since that is the theme this time... need all the nomination votes I can get. it has been a fun project to build. I love making contraptions from just basically junk... trash to treasures.... I can also make this without the drive system & use a hand crank to basically do the same thing. This is good for the home gardeners & landscapers. It can be turned by hand very easily so maybe I may build one of those too. It will have a 3rd wheel in front & can be pulled like a wagon to the desired spot... put in a couple of scoops of dirt & crank the handle. I am also thinking on a powered one like this one but have it's own motor built right on the unit for those who do not have a tractor or power source to run it... maybe a weed eater motor with clutch....

You sound like me LOL. Even when I am trying to sleep and asleep my brain is in high gear thinking of what I can build next.I get more tired from sleeping than if I work all day :p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edko, sifter, 2 wheeler, shaker