2 replies to this topic

#1 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 07:44 PM

The throttle cable broke on my 140 about 2 weeks ago,it was cold and the wind was blowing so I thought I would fix it when it warmed up a little.I didnt want to replace the entire throttle assemby,just the wire that was broke on the inside.I go to the lawn mower shop near wear I live and the guy says to me that most people cant get the ends to stay when bent, so he was going to try and sell me the whole assembly for 30.00.I didnt want that so I told him if he didnt have the wire I needed that I would find it elsewhere and also said that I would be using a z bending tool rather than vise grips and needle nose pliers.He asked me how long a piece of wire I needed,I told him and he got it for me.He gave it to me for free.It is funny how the price went from 30.00to free in a matter of minutes.My tractor runs like a new one.know.

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yes it is funny how that works.My grandfather had the farms flat fender 110 at a repair shop to get repaired.The govenor wasn't working and they pulled motor apart and the oil slinger was also broken.They called and told him about it and said parts are no longer avail.He told me this and i told him they're full of s##t.A guy i work with just bought a new slinger and governor shaft a few weeks earlier.Grandfather called the repair shop back and said he'll go elsewhere,and majically the parts were avail they claimed the guy gave the wrong part number.They were pushing to buy a new mower.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:34 AM

You have got to be wary of everyone these days. An honest shop would have quoted you a fair price for repair and then asked if you were interested in trading for something newer. It's hard to find that kind of place these days especially if they are having trouble making money in this economy.