10 replies to this topic

#1 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 10:42 AM

Always wanted to ask someone this question. Is there a specific surface finish or technique that works best for the belt surface of old pulleys? Or just leave it alone if it's not rusty? I need a smooth engagement with an idler lever on my mini dozer (no transmission just belts and levers.)

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Biggest thing with a Pulley (sheve) is it should be a smooth and even surface, You don't want it to be like a mirror or polished finish or the belt will slip. If the V groove in the pulley is not worn (no grooves or uneven slope) then I would just clean with a piece of emery paper (bead blasting also works well) Feel the pulley surface with your finger, make sure it has no (chatter marks) if the surface is (wavy) the belts will jump around. If a pulley is worn (wavy,glazed bad or grooved) it can be turned down on a lathe (if not to bad) other wise you must replace.Hope this helps.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 02:02 PM

I usually just wire brush them some and use them. Most scenarios it isn't a big deal. Most of the time using them will take care of any light rust accumulation.

#4 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the help guys. The 4 big 12" pulleys in the back are my main areas of concern. They can't be cheap. The little ones on the front shafts will probably just be replaced. I figured there's a point where they are too smooth or too coarse. I got access to a sandblaster. Probably blast the rear ones and paint the sides.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the help guys. The 4 big 12" pulleys in the back are my main areas of concern. They can't be cheap. The little ones on the front shafts will probably just be replaced. I figured there's a point where they are too smooth or too coarse. I got access to a sandblaster. Probably blast the rear ones and paint the sides.

Sounds good.when I paint pulleys i cut an old V belt and hold it onto the pulley with rubber bands, That's just what I do, I figured I'd share.
  • caseguy, KennyP and boostedbuick have said thanks

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Sounds good.when I paint pulleys i cut an old V belt and hold it onto the pulley with rubber bands, That's just what I do, I figured I'd share.

That's a great tip Chris! You should add that one to the tips and tricks thread!
  • chris m said thank you

#7 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 09:49 PM

That is a great tip! I figured on running a bolt and nut through the center to hold it by and then just paint "off the end" all the way around so it doesn't go in the groove. I can hold it by the old belt....
  • chris m said thank you

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:03 AM

That's a great tip Chris! You should add that one to the tips and tricks thread!

I agree,that is a great tip.
  • chris m said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:43 AM

Now where did I put that old belt? Dang it, I threw it in the trash. Could tape up the usable belt and wrap it around there, just moving it around as you paint.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 06:21 AM

Something else you could do.You could put vaseline or similar product in the pulley groove to keep the paint out.Then just wast it off after.

There is also a liquid masking product too.Just brush it on,and it washed right off with just water.

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Almost every cast iron pulley and some steel that we purchased for our facility was painted and I don't remember it ever causing a problem. After a very short run time I would think the paint is worn off anyway. This has been my experience but your mileage may vary. :)