wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 02:20 PM

I think the Wisconsin salt destroyed all the Bolens near you long ago. I'm in WV and don't see too many Bolens, but the ones I do see are pretty rough shape.

#33 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 02:24 PM

thanks to all who posted... I really love my bolens,,, so BOLENS it is !!! Plus serching for parts is half the fun.. My 1477 looks good,,, runs good,, mows great.. One thing I noticed was why are most of the bolens stuff out east ??? When they were built in Wisconsin ??? Thats were I am at .. seems strange

Sometimes a tractor maker just doesn't get many sales in their home area. I'm in a similar situation with Gravely tractors. The old plant was just outside Winston Salem here in North Carolina, yet few tractors seem to show up. Start looking on Craigslist up towards Baltimore/Pennsylvania/New York and they seem to be everywhere.

#34 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 03:31 PM

I just used SEARCH TEMPEST and found a LOT of Bolens in that area.

I used zip code 53140 which is Kenosha City Hall, and a 100 mile search radius.

There are a LOT of Bolens tractors and attachments within that range.

Edited by OldBuzzard, April 19, 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#35 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 09:37 AM

thanks to all who posted... I really love my bolens,,, so BOLENS it is !!! Plus serching for parts is half the fun.. My 1477 looks good,,, runs good,, mows great.. One thing I noticed was why are most of the bolens stuff out east ??? When they were built in Wisconsin ??? Thats were I am at .. seems strange

Me thinks Bolens lost ground to the Deere crowd in the Midwest. When the LGT hit the market the farmer went with the brand they new and trusted. In Wisconsin, and especially Iowa John Deere is king.

#36 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 07:36 AM

I am new and I don't know a lot about garden tractors, but many folks here do, but I can tell you what lead me to my decisions. I just basically looked at what folks was using around me and I do mean close by. You know you see a lot of big tractors but you just don't see the smaller tractors as often so it's sort of hard to see the smaller ones.

I got to be honest I do like John Deere but I do also like Cub Cadet and I had a Bolen's once too but I wasn't as impressed with it.

That being said you can see pretty much what folks use around my area, but now I do see a lot of Kabota's and something also to consider is Yanmar!

Yanmar makes and excellent smaller tractor! I looked at one that wasn't any bigger than my 214 and let me tell you it's a tank! It had everything a large tractor has and a lot more function that my JD but then again it was priced well beyond my poor country butt could afford.

Really I think to it's just what a person likes and what their needs are going to be, it doesn't matter what Name is on it as long as you can get parts and it works.

Hope that helps!

Edited by maxedout, April 23, 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#37 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 09:04 AM

The best tractor....well of course, a RED one! LOL

Really I think to it's just what a person likes and what their needs are going to be, it doesn't matter what Name is on it as long as you can get parts and it works.

But seriously, you are dead on. There is no "BEST" GT. Too many variables and personal preferences. Parts is the biggest thing when it comes to a working tractor!
  • maxedout said thank you

#38 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sometimes a tractor maker just doesn't get many sales in their home area. I'm in a similar situation with Gravely tractors. The old plant was just outside Winston Salem here in North Carolina, yet few tractors seem to show up. Start looking on Craigslist up towards Baltimore/Pennsylvania/New York and they seem to be everywhere.

My neighbor has a Gravely tractor and it's one fine machine! I don't think he's ever had any troubles with that tractor and I know he's owned it for 20 years or better. I will be heading down to Winston Tuesday, I'll be heading down to Baptist Hospital for some tests, not looking forward to it but it's something I have to do I guess.

Well back to the subject, I don't think Name Brands do not mean much of anything in today's world, everything I've looked at including John Deere are by designed to die at a certain age. They no longer build them rugged or to last as long as their owners, and really that's sad because America used to build things to last. It was better for the owners and it was better for the environment when we made things to last. It took less of everything but today the mind set is sale it, sale it break it buy a new one.

Don't take me wrong I am not bashing anyone's choice in Garden Tractors I am just saying Older Is Better and it doesn't matter what brand it be as long as parts are out there and in most cases they are. A 30 year old GT is imo a much better investment because you can spend some money on it and it's going to last another 30 years if you take care of it.

A Friend of mine went out this spring and bought a brand new Cub Cadet (mtd) and he was pleased as punch, he spent around 3k for that little tractor. He's mowed a few times and back to the dealer it's gone already. I'm not sure of all the troubles he had but I do know one was pretty serious as it was spewing oil all over the place. That just tells me lessen learned, he should have took the advice and got an older Cubby.

#39 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 08:04 PM

The best tractor....well of course, a RED one! LOL ...

I gotta agree with that...

Those FARMALLS were great :D :D :D

#40 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 08:40 PM

I gotta agree with that...

Those FARMALLS were great :D :D :D

Farmalls!!???