• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fitzsfixit OFFLINE  

fitzsfixit

• Member No: 6870
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 12:11 PM

i found an old sears catalog from 1970 in a pile of paper work i received with my tractors, full of really cool stuff but the one thing that really got me was the sears suburban 12 was $999.95 bone stock not even a mower. $1000 in 1970 has the same buying power as $5,441.83 today. arrange for your FREE home demonstration no obligation whatsoever! judge for your self, on your own property, just how easy and fun hard work can be. the pic is a sales man rolling a 10XL off the trailer, lol good stuff. what ever happened to the sears national service guys?

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 013.jpg

• MH81 and redcarkids have said thanks

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 01:00 PM

Isn't is fascinating looking at that old literature. That sure is a nice Suburban you have. Hard to imagine the same amount of money then as now. I haven't priced the new machines lately. How does 5400 stack up against what you can get?
  • fitzsfixit said thank you

#3 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 01:10 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, fitzsfixit, glad you found this forum. Nice tractor ya got there!

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 02:11 PM

what ever happened to the sears national service guys?

In my humble opinion they are long gone due in large part to the influx of throw away products such as the blue engine in the background of your photo. That engine is just an example of the throw away nature of most of the products made and sold worldwide. Back when the original Sears tractors were designed by folks using their ingenuity and experience to produce products that were expected to last.

I really don't figure that there will be many folks using, let alone restoring, 2012 lawn and garden tractors in thirty or forty years..

Edited by GTTinkerer, March 27, 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 02:13 PM

and i though my panzer was a lot in 1968

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 02:48 PM

:wave: Fitzsfixit! Welcome to GTTalk! I worked for Sears fresh out of high school and always admired the people who worked in the service department. It was my goal to work my way into a position there, however when I inquired about openings, my Boss informed me that they were phasing the service department out and that as techs retired, they would not be replaced. That was in 1987. It would seem that they were true to their word. All (or at least the majority) of the work is contracted out and the people who do it work on commision only. I have a friend who is an appliance installer who explained the new system to me. A sad, sad state of affairs if you ask me.

#7 fitzsfixit OFFLINE  

fitzsfixit

• 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 03:30 PM

In my humble opinion they are long gone due in large part to the influx of throw away products such as the blue engine in the background of your photo. That engine is just an example of the throw away nature of most of the products made and sold worldwide. Back when the original Sears tractors were designed by folks using their ingenuity and experience to produce products that were expected to last.

I really don't figure that there will be many folks using, let alone restoring, 2012 lawn and garden tractors in thirty or forty years..

i had the engine for that two years ago picked it up for twenty bucks it was one pull every time, it sat around for a year and i gave it away to a buddy for his kids go cart. i wish i kept it!

Edited by fitzsfixit, March 27, 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#8 fitzsfixit OFFLINE  

fitzsfixit

• 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 03:46 PM

and i though my panzer was a lot in 1968

today all you get is junk made in china, assembled in the us. i would only buy craftsman tool becuase they were made in the US. till a few years ago i went out and bout a valve spring compressor and few other tools, first thing when i got home went to use the compessor, first try it bent side ways. so on closer inspection these tools were all stamped {MADE IN CHINA}!

#9 fitzsfixit OFFLINE  

fitzsfixit

• 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 03:54 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, fitzsfixit, glad you found this forum. Nice tractor ya got there!

same to you thanx. i just got them on st. pattie's day. all they need is some cleaning, a proper paint job and some new tires

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Yes some of those old brochures in things are quite interesting to look through.

#11 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Had the Sears Service people out last year to fix my dishwasher, I mean my wife's dishwasher. They don't have service departments now but do come to your home for repairs. I do agree though, we're become a throw away nation. i remember when you took the coffee pot or toaster or whatever to be repaired or just fixed it yourself. Now they make them so they can't be repaired. I miss those days.

#12 fitzsfixit OFFLINE  

fitzsfixit

• 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 06:00 AM

test drive.jpg
here is the add i was talking about
  • MH81 and redcarkids have said thanks

#13 Fauschanator OFFLINE  

Fauschanator
  • Member No: 9926
  • 8 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 10:23 AM

The above tractor is really interesting that it was so inexpensive back in the day. Most of our appliances have become incredibly cheap, hence the reason we throw them away when they break. Even a $1500 fridge is incrediblly affordable compared to when my grandfather had to probably spend half a years pay to get their first freeze box.

Our appliances also have so many features now that they can not be fixed as easily as they used to.

I think whats expensive now though is that we have so many appliances, if you include stereos, DVD's, Computers, its hard to keep up with everything that breaks now a days.

#14 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Wow...I thought $250 was a lot when I purchased my XL8 with a deck, snowblower, and enclosed cab which was always kept inside. If only I knew before it was all sold/parted out. We all love the vintage ads from our more youthful days. Keep them coming!