Removing A Steering Bracket

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 albert3rd OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9233
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm new to this forum. Looks to be interesting. I'm looking for some help with my Craftsman II 917.254360. The nylon bushings if you will are worn out and the steering is binding up when making a turn. I bought a brand new steering bracket assembly, but am having difficulty removing the old one. It looks like I need to drive out the pin on the end of the steering shaft so that I can lift it out of the way. Has anyone ever attempted this? It's a good running tractor and I don't want to unload it, but the steering will really work you over.

#2 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,257 Thanks
  • 2,383 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hello albert3rd, welcome to GTtalk! Glad you found this forum!

Have you tried spraying some silicone on the bushing/steering shaft? Have you lifted/supported the front end of the tractor to see if it turns more easily? Have you greased the front spindles,shaft gear underneath, checked for and loose bolts,etc? I don't mean to ask dumb questions and I apologize but I always check everything on the old tractors, ya never know what is going on.

I went to the Sears website to find a diagram so as to take a look at what you are talking about. Their diagram isn't very easy to see. Is that a rollpin in the steering shaft you are talking about? (I have never worked on this particular item in a craftsman tractor, but I have on other tractors). If so, sometimes you need to soak them in some wd-40 or something like that for awhile so it will loosen up a little so you can then tap it out with a punch and a hammer. if there is enough pin sticking out you might be able to grab it with pliers to loosen it. Good luck, it's been there for a few years and is not meant to come out easily. Good luck! I hope this helps.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 04:24 PM

albert3rd,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.Sorry I am not familiar with that machine,so I can't help you.

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 05:29 PM

Welcome to the forum Albert.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,035 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Welcome, Albert! I have a similar situation going on my GTV/16. I would like to pull the column, but haven't really tried to pull that pin and get the shaft out. Soaking it for a few days may help, those roll pins can be a pain if they have been in there a while.

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Perhaps you could grind the ends of the pin flush with the shaft, then remove the shaft to get it to where you can use a punch to push it out. I have had to do this many times where there just wasn't enough space to get to the pin.