13 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 08:25 AM

According to the MF 12 service manual, the hydro transmission was available with a limited slip option. How would you go about testing whether you had a limited slip? Also, was limited slip available for the geared versions of the transmission in the MF10 and 12 Variable drive?

TIA

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm not sure Howard, but if you can find the part no. on the transmission/rearend you might be able to check the peerless manuals to identify if it's LS or not. The MF parts manual may give you the part no's for the different options as well.

#3 nimrod7 OFFLINE  

nimrod7
  • Member No: 9063
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 12:06 AM

I think my MF 12 with Hydro is limited slip. I was pulling a rototiller this spring and when the front wheeles would bog down in the loose dirt (I went over the garden twice) both rear wheels would spin at the same time. It doesn't seem to work when going in reverse.

#4 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'll have to find out some kind of way. My first Massey hydro, when I was plowing, one wheel could lose traction and it would spin. This new-to-me Massey, I pulled some stuff with it, and both wheels would break loose and spin. I didn't think anything of it until I realized how much damage had been done to the frame, particularly where the sleeve hitch hooks on and the plate was bent and cracked and the factory welds had failed. I'll have to get some pictures to post when it isn't raining.

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:26 AM

I've heard of the limited slip feature before in some of the MF12Hydras, there is mention of it in the manual I have, the 67yr model I have doesn't seem to have the limited slip on it.
I don't know how you would tell if one has it or not, I think it would be a benefit if it does.

#6 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 01:01 PM

I had 65 lb of calcium in the rear tires of mine. That, plus chains and wheel weights, goes a long ways towards limiting slip, whether it has a limited slip differential or not.

I load my work tractor tires as a matter of course. It's worth it.

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 03:50 PM

You might try jacking the rearend off the ground, make sure you have both wheels in the air. If you a limited slip, when you spin one side the other side should spin the same direction, if you have a normal rearend when you spin one side the other side will spin opposite direction.
  • Bubbaj2 said thank you

#8 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 04:39 PM

You might try jacking the rearend off the ground, make sure you have both wheels in the air. If you a limited slip, when you spin one side the other side should spin the same direction, if you have a normal rearend when you spin one side the other side will spin opposite direction.

I'm not sure it would spin since the hydro motor is still coupled. I'm thinking if I can't find something with the transmission numbers, I'll try jacking it up securely, then gently going forward and try stopping one wheel. An open diff should stop easily, the limited slip should want to continue to spin. Just gotta be careful not to get caught in anything.

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:08 PM

On my Cub with the Hydro, if I jack up both wheels and spin one side the other spins opposite direction, it doesn't have a limited slip. Every limited slip I have every seen, when jacked up both wheels will spin the same direction. They only 'unlock' when you turn, going forward, they will stay locked. I have owned a few in my time. BTW limited slip is the last thing you want when running on ice, they are great in the mud, but worthless on ice.

#10 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:11 PM

I have a peerless 2300 4 speed trans-axle from a square fender JD112 that I believe has a limited slip differential. The reason I think it may be a limited slip is that there is a metal tag on it with the letters L S D stamped into it. I know I have read or heard about an optional limited slip 2300 but I can't remember when or where. I wish I had pulled it apart to look inside and compare it to a regular 2300 but I was in a hurry to get it installed in my mf12, I needed the tractor to plow a garden. After I got it installed I did block both front wheels, jack up only the left rear wheel and put it in gear to see what would happen. To my surprise the one wheel turned freely with the other on the ground, not turning. I'm wondering if there needs to be some resistance on both wheels for the "limited slip" to work. I have plowed with the tractor a couple times with this trans and it does seem to have improved traction. When plowing virgin ground with grass or weeds I would usually have to put tire chains on the left wheel (right wheel down in the furrow gets good traction) but it hasn't been necessary since the trans swap. I was able to "spin out" only the left wheel one time but there was very little traction on that wheel, the right wheel was in a furrow and the left hit a very slick spot. I just backed up a little, hit it again and it walked rite through. I also have a mf12h that does seem to have better traction going forward than my mf10g. They both have lousy traction in reverse with the stock turfs and no added weight. I'm going to start another thread about the gear drive 2300 LSD to see if anyone has more info.

#11 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:16 PM

I forgot to add pics, shame on me.DSC02372.JPG DSC02373.JPG DSC02374.JPG DSC02375.JPG

#12 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:16 PM

On my Cub with the Hydro, if I jack up both wheels and spin one side the other spins opposite direction, it doesn't have a limited slip. Every limited slip I have every seen, when jacked up both wheels will spin the same direction. They only 'unlock' when you turn, going forward, they will stay locked. I have owned a few in my time. BTW limited slip is the last thing you want when running on ice, they are great in the mud, but worthless on ice.

I tend to agree with the above for the uninitiated. For GTs on ice, you should have chains on with or without a limited slip. With a car or truck, the driver needs to develop a very deft touch with the throttle and he's definitely going to need a course in seat of the pants driving techniques. It is very easy to get into trouble on glare ice if you have to turn, even for the highly experienced driver. Snowbanks and guide rails are your friends.

For straight line running or slow turns on ice, I'll take a posi over a regular diff every time. But then I've had from 4 - 6 months of winter practice every year for almost 50 years with my positracs.

#13 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I received a crash course in what happens when you lose traction with both wheels one winter. I had stopped on an icy incline that sloped both down and off to my right. (when winter strikes here it's usually icy). I had a limited slip diff in my F-150 2WD. When I tried to move up the incline, I felt both tires break traction and the rear of the truck started sliding sideways. Fortunately, I was alert for something like that and stopped, then carefully backed down the slope and took another shot at it starting from level. No problem then.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 11:49 AM

With those limited slip difs isn't there a predefined torque that they will slip at. It seems to me I remember reading in the Peerless manual that you can check one by using a torque wrench on the limited slip wheel axle and it should slip at the prescribed amount. If it's worn it will slip at a lower torque.