4 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 12:46 PM

ok i have some 316 ss swageloc fittings and tube i would like to replace the fuel lines on my 1256 bolens it has a cast alum carb i was wondering is i can thred the fitting into the carb i need to rebuild the carb to night so i would love it some one can help thanks in advance
cheers
8tyman8

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 05:22 PM

Can't help with the threads on a Bolens carb but maybe you should try posting this on the Bolens forum along with a better description of the fittings you have. 316 stainless is compatible with aluminium as far as corrosion goes. I'm not sure why you would need to go to a SS fuel line. A rubber line is able to move and flex with engine vibration. A ss line could resonate and vibrate, work harden and then crack. I'm not sure it would be a good idea. That's just my initial take on it.

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Can't help with the threads on a Bolens carb but maybe you should try posting this on the Bolens forum along with a better description of the fittings you have. 316 stainless is compatible with aluminium as far as corrosion goes. I'm not sure why you would need to go to a SS fuel line. A rubber line is able to move and flex with engine vibration. A ss line could resonate and vibrate, work harden and then crack. I'm not sure it would be a good idea. That's just my initial take on it.

I agree with Brian. But yes you can screw that fitting into your carb with no problem. I just wouldn't advise it.

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:18 PM

If you are conserned about the Ethanol in our gas then polypropylene hoses can be used with no troubles, if tight bends are needed the dip in boiling water untill pliable, bend into shape and allow to cool.
You could use a short section of rubber hose onto the metal hose to keep from shocking the metal.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 05:01 AM

I work with 316ss all the time on HPLC's in the lab but I've never seen it used on a fuel line for a GT. The cost is normally an issue as well.