• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Notice that it isn't smoking when first fired up and driven out of the shed.

Could be a belt smoking but I bet it's the engine. I changed the oil before it ever started and I suppose I should do it again. Could be pig rich too, but most likely, motor just smokes when hot. Stupid tecumseh. Everyone warned me that tecumseh is the ford motor company of the small engine world :)

Hey Now! I happen to not mind the Teccy's and I'd take a Ford F-250 over most other Detroit built stuff these days. :poke:

Hope it's just something simple!

#62 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 12:07 AM

man that is cool. My wife wants one now. LOL

#63 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 02:13 AM

Never thought about the possibility of the rings just being stuck. I might try that idea. it has straight 30wt in it now.

#64 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 10:04 AM

So what if I pull the plug out and soak some atf or seafoam on top the rings for a week or 2?

If i'd seen it coming I woulda done that for 6 months.....

NOT pulling it this weekend. Simply don't have the bugs worked out or feel comfortable running it yet. I will display it at the antique tractor show, smoking and all.

#65 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 10:09 AM

I am glad you got it going! I can't help much with the smoking problem, I hope you get it fixed!

#66 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:16 PM

Just got home from a show. Displayed it at the local "old albany days" where they do threshing and lots of old timey stuff. Lots of antiques on display from various eras. Got LOTS of attention with it. They had a garden tractor pull and I couldn't resist. They let me do an exhibition pull, I was the very last person on the track. I didn't think to bring a clevis with me to attach the chain with. I know the guy who runs the blacksmith shop there, asked if I could borrow one. He replied "What fun would that be? If you have the time I will MAKE you a clevis." So he pulled out some round stock and made a pin, wrapped a collar around it and forge welded it up, punched a hole in the end for a chain, then he got out some bar stock and wrapped it around and hot punched two holes in it, etc. Spent at least an hour, probably closer to two, and then refused any payment. Was kind of an adventure in itself.

Not one of us had a clue what it was capable of pulling, but I was pretty certain it'd run out of horsepower first. I was right. It made it about 30-40 feet when the engine lugged down and died. :( At least it moved the sled. And got no shortage of looks.

Me needs more horsepower! The original engine needs a freshen (still smokes). So I can't decide if I should try to hop it up while keeping it stock appearing or if I should just shelve the damn thing and put a bigger engine in it. 4 bolts swaps out the engine, but I like the original look. I got some research to do...

Wife tried to video it but the sd card filled up before I took off :bummer:.

Edited by boostedbuick, September 08, 2012 - 05:18 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#67 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Now that sounds like awesome fun! Thanks for the further updates, better luck on the photo card another day. Of course, if you filled the card, there ought to be SOME pictures you can show us!

#68 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 09:38 PM

How about a 7 second video of it idling in front of a sled? lol that's all I have.

I'm going to go engine hunting. Find me a buildable horizontal shaft briggs or kohler. Maybe mill the head down to nothing so it has to run on race fuel lol. I need to have some of that for the Buick anyway. It'd be worth running it just so people would notice the smell...

#69 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:20 AM

Not to burst your bubble, but I would think about whether the rest of the drive train can handle a bunch more HP. A stock 12 HP Kohler may surprise you on the power you have at hand. Just don't go so high your start breaking things that are hard to replace..

#70 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Not to burst your bubble, but I would think about whether the rest of the drive train can handle a bunch more HP. A stock 12 HP Kohler may surprise you on the power you have at hand. Just don't go so high your start breaking things that are hard to replace..

That sounds like some good advice right there.

#71 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:47 AM

How many horses can a belt drive handle? Can't be an enormous amount. If that engine is smoking badly you probably don't have anywhere near 7 horsepower. I had a 12 Hp Tecumseh that sounded like it ran great, but lacked the power to run a mower deck. After LOTS of checking, I found that the ignition timing was delayed. Fixed that and the motor has plenty of power to run the deck. Had I not had another tractor with the same motor that I mounted the same deck in, I could easily have concluded that 12 was not enough and tried to drop in a 16 hp twin for way more money than an ignition fix.

Here is what I went through:http://gardentractor...ne-lacks-power/

#72 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:14 AM

As far as the belt drive, the belt tension is controlled by how hard I push the levers. The shafts, keyways, pulleys, etc are off the shelf parts at a tractor supply house. As long as I don't snap one of the CA550 track chains I'll be fine. I spent a ton of money on those roller bearing housings, but now that it's done, I could rebuild that thing front to rear mechanically for a couple hundred bucks. Seriously. As long as I don't break the track chains. They are $4-500 per side and a witch to change.

My plan is to add more horsepower. Then it's going to spin the tracks. Then I'm going to add more weight. Then I'm going to start breaking stuff. Then I'll get sick of the money i'm throwing at it and return it to stock. But it will make for some cool videos...

I'm sure budget will keep the horsepower down in the realm of reality. A stock or mildly modified 10-14 hp motor is my ballpark figure. I know the eventual limit is going to be the belt drives. I can increase grip with pulley diameter but will lose the much needed reduction it provides. Right now I got a 3" pulley on the motor that goes to 2 5" pulleys. Those shafts have 3" pulleys on them which go to 12" pulleys. THAT shaft has a 9 tooth gear on it and drives a big one down at the tracks. I think it's a 40 tooth I don't remember. It's probably in this thread somewhere. To get rid of all those 3" pulleys will require adding another chain drive somewhere with some reduction built in. I would imagine that's going to stop my progress. But I'm not happy with the engine being the weak point. It's embarrassing.

#73 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:33 AM

That looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing the project, pictures and videos.

You could always put a boosted Buick under, uh, through, on top of it! That should be enough power if you get the turbo spooled up! :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

The belt drives handle more HP than people think. It depends on pulley condition and proper tension for the non variable drive belts.

Geno

#74 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:18 AM

We used to run Rock Crushers with a 400 hp Diesel with belts. But we had multiple belts on the pullies.

#75 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 10:18 AM

If a grand national v6 was even remotely feasible, I would have already done it! I have a complete spare grand national powertrain sitting here....

I DO wish to keep this thing in the category of "kids can drive it".