107 replies to this topic

#46 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 02:36 PM

Don't be sorry, you are supposed to laugh at others' misfortunes. Isn't that what everybody does these days?

Starting to second guess my choice of hardened sprockets. As we all know, harder=more brittle (brittler :confuse:) The stuff that came off it is just mild steel. Of course it has a bunch of wear on it, but it's still there and working. Hardened teeth will wear like, well, hardened steel, but they will be more prone to snapping off. It darn sure won't bend! I'm gonna order ONE hardened sprocket identical to my newly broken one and two mild steel ones. If I have any more trouble with hardened, I'll swap them to mild steel.

Just removed the OTHER shaft out of the center and also the pulley off the crankshaft. Turns out that I need one side of the rear section to be apart to get that shaft out! Sorta glad I cracked a sprocket or else it'd be assembled. Sad that the pulleys are in great shape in reference to wear on the belt surface, but half of them are bent due to someone "screwdrivering" the belts on it. The bent ones have a funny wear pattern, and since smoooth engagement is moderately critical here, I'm gonna have to replace some pulleys. The idler for the engine belt is a little wobbly so I'll replace it as well. So far when I've had it running, the engine belt has been making the disengagement lever bounce and rattle all over the place. Hopefully haaving new belts and pulleys will make that stop. If not, it shall get a stronger tension spring.

The 4 belts for forward and reverse are all the same length. That was something I've been wondering about, since 2 go to one shaft and 2 go to the other. I hope that they are all SUPPOSED to be the same length. Not much room for error on belt sizing. Theres grooves in the arms of the idler levers from the pulleys contacting them, when the belts stretch too much.

Page 4? WOOT! I guess. :dancingbanana:

Edited by boostedbuick, July 04, 2012 - 02:41 PM.

• MH81 and JDBrian have said thanks

#47 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 06:09 PM

DSC_5399.JPG

Original Belts! LOL

#48 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for documenting this. I just discovered it and have enjoyed reading about this project.

#49 dw1973 OFFLINE  

dw1973

• Member No: 136
  • 7 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 07:35 AM

I have four belts for it I would sell. Sold my dozer.
  • superspeedex said thank you

#50 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Awesome little machine. I wouldn't use the hardened sprockets for just the very reason that they are brittle. Sometimes weaker is stronger.

#51 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:29 PM

I ordered belts for it just a couple days ago and I'd hate to stick the local place with keeping them, so I don't need belts. The 4 that are the same are pretty cheap, the long double sided guy from the engine is probably gonna run me $50! Replaced the pulley for the engine, and the 4 small ones on the shafts that have to be identical. Some of them were bent up and had uneven wear patterns so they all got replaced. The 2 5" ones and the 4 12" ones in the back were blasted and spray bombed, engine belt idler is a bit wobbly so it gets replaced but not till the belt gets here, I had to order a slightly shorter belt and might need to adjust idler size to compensate for it. The 4 idlers on the control levers are fine and are gonna stay on as well as the 4 pillow bearings that support the shafts, and the shafts themselves will get re-used. Re-used the 40 series chains in the final drives too, adding a half link because of the extra tooth. I'm looking at about $600 to refurbish the inside without replacing anything that doesn't need it (remember the $300 custom roller bearing housings). So $1100 or so total investment if nothing else comes up. Seen a couple on ebay, they each brought about $1200 and were far less original, so I guess i'm not upside down in it. If you drug a rusty shell out of the weeds and went through it end to end, I could easily see $2-3k investment. The CA550 track chains are $4-500 per side by themselves (and then undo about 440 nuts to switch the cleats. 55 cleats per side, 2 bolts each cleat, double nutted.) There's oilite bearings in the track sprockets too that I haven't even looked at yet. Gonna oil them and go, for now. I AM going to order standard sprockets for the back and ditch the hardened ones if they give me any fits.

Last of the parts are scheduled to arrive tuesday. Might see video by next weekend......

#52 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:42 PM

Sounds like you are making good progress! Look forward to the video.

#53 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 06:50 PM

Sunday afternoon. You know what I did? I got my @$$ kicked by a little thing called "tolerance stacking". New pulleys and new key stock on old shafts. Didn't fit together. Key stock fit fine in both new and old pulleys and the original shafts. Fit stuff together long enough to discover that the new key stock was just a little bigger than the original key stock, which was fine in the back, on the new sections of shaft. In the front, however, I reused the shafts, which are custom machined (why they didn''t just use 5/8 keyed shaft, I'll never know). The shafts weren't machined quite deep enough for that extra little bit of key height. Of course I didn't keep track of all that old key stock, it was worn and I had new stuff. I found a couple on the ground that were worthy of re-use, but I was short a couple sections. SO, out came the files. And I filed. And filed. AAANNDD filed. Got everything cleaned up a few thousandths and made sure there was no dirt or burrs holding me up anywhere. Still didn't fit. Filed some more, finally got enough taken off everything to make the key fit everywhere and slide easily for adjustment in the machine. Lower shaft is now reinstalled, I hope the old grease in them pillow bearings holds up after sitting for 25 years......
  • MH81 said thank you

#54 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Isn't it amazing how the smallest parts can mess you up the worst?

I'm glad that after all that filing, it did work...

#55 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Main belt is too short (the expensive double sided one). Actually, if it was the correct width, it would be long enough. New belt is wider and sits way higher in the pulleys. Takes up a lot of slack. They special ordered this belt for me and I hope it's returnable. If they can't get a narrower one it needs to be at least 4 inches longer. SOOOOOO It's down for the rest of the week. I'll be outta town all weekend. And I thought I might be riding it tonight....

#56 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Since you've had so much practice filing lately, maybe you can narrow that belt up. :rofl2:

Sorry, first thing that went thru my head...

Hope the belt is returnable and the right one is only a day or two away.

#57 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:51 PM

LOL took me by surprise with that one.

No way in hell will the correct belt be here before I leave friday.

#58 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 09:03 PM

2 things: I didn't expect it to smoke like that, and I don't have a good enough guard setup on the idler for the main drive belt. Both videos end with that belt jumping the pulley. Other than that, it just needs some love in the detail department. Don't know what I'm gonna do about the smoke...

Note that I loosely fastened the hood on before putting the kids on it. Grille is still in the shed. It rides very rough on concrete, and is louder than it sounds in the videos.
  • MH81 said thank you

#59 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 09:13 PM

Notice that it isn't smoking when first fired up and driven out of the shed.

Could be a belt smoking but I bet it's the engine. I changed the oil before it ever started and I suppose I should do it again. Could be pig rich too, but most likely, motor just smokes when hot. Stupid tecumseh. Everyone warned me that tecumseh is the ford motor company of the small engine world :)

#60 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 09:15 PM

That's a great couple of Video's! The kids look like they are having a good time homogenizing themselves too. ;)

As for the smoke, it could be any of a hundred things, but If it's been sitting, you might try running it at a high Idle for a while with some Seafoam or ATF in the oil. If the rings are stuck, some guys have had luck in this breaking it loose.

If that doesn't work, I use SAE 30 until I can get in there and do it right. Multi Viscosity I've found will make a smoker worse than straight 30.