107 replies to this topic

#31 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the update. You couldn't ask for better help, by the looks.

Which one gets to go 1st? (gotta get the important stuff figured out now :) )

Tell your son Happy Birthday too!

I know who's going first. The one who has several hundred dollars wrapped up in it LOL. Truthfully with the nature of this machine, neither of them are probably at a coordination level where I'd turn them loose on it yet. I'll have to be on it with them. Wouldn't want them to hit that awesome minivan in the background.....

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 06:18 PM

:bigrofl: he who pays, plays? :bigrofl:

I hear ya on the co ordination thing. I also share your shame in being a minivan driver. Darn kids, I want my Dodge Coronet back...

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 06:24 PM

I know who's going first. The one who has several hundred dollars wrapped up in it LOL. Truthfully with the nature of this machine, neither of them are probably at a coordination level where I'd turn them loose on it yet. I'll have to be on it with them. Wouldn't want them to hit that awesome minivan in the background.....

Which one helped the most on this project? That's how I would give the rides!

#34 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 06:49 PM

:bigrofl: he who pays, plays? :bigrofl:

I hear ya on the co ordination thing. I also share your shame in being a minivan driver. Darn kids, I want my Dodge Coronet back...

I'm a proud minivan driver! Wife and I both have matching 2000 dodge grand caravans. And this machine WILL fit in the back of it, I measured........

Been too hot to tinker with it this week.

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 06:53 PM

I hear you on the heat. I tried a redneck water cooler out back today. Soaker hose didn't put out enough water to cool things down. I'll give the sprinkler a try tomorrow.

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Just a smile for all of us Minivan Drivers.

• boostedbuick said thank you

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Is that typical of yours, Alan?

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 08:11 PM

I think its a factory option Kenny. :smilewink:

#39 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 10:47 PM

Dig the video. Need to burn that to a cd so I can rock it in my dodge caravan.

One side of the rear bearings is assembled and rolls like a dream compared to the original. The other side is half assembled waiting for the pulleys to get refinished.

Let me give you a rundown of how this thing works, draw a mental picture. In this confined space with hardly any access to it, the main belt off the engine turns two keyed shafts in opposing directions, each of those shafts has 2 pulleys that line up with those 12" ones in the back. So each track has a belt for forward and another for reverse. The 2 levers that you steer with have idler pulleys on them and they are positioned so that pushing them engages the forward belts and pulling engages reverse. I am amazed at how simple it is, yet I get a big smirk on my face thinking about how many times the original designer (C.F. Struck?) must have redesigned this and trial-and-errored his way to a functioning machine. He's got the idlers right up next to the smaller front pulleys and the leverage/range of motion is good enough that you can slip the belts with some finesse (and not just have "stop" and "go") and the overall gear reduction built into it without a bunch of extra moving parts is really impressive. The weight distribution with the driver at the rear and the engine and blade at the front is as good as it can ever get. There's a lever to disengage the engine belt so you can pull start the engine easily and it doubles as a safety kill if something sticks. I bet this was done by one really smart tinkerer in his garage, and when he got it perfected, I bet he rode it around the yard like a cowboy on a bull and hollered "GAWDAMN this thing is awesome, I should build a bunch and sell them!" It just flat works. Does it work as good as a newer machine with hydrostat drive and more power, etc? Nope. Is it gonna ride worth a damn with a steel seat and no suspension? Nope. Is it gonna make me giggle like a little girl every time I mess around on it? Yep.

SO I started taking the keyed shafts out tonight. Glad I got one that was stored in the shed. The shafts have to be removed from the dozer to slip new belts on them and the outer bearings have to slide inward after removing the set screws, etc. For as old as it is, it's not giving me TOO many fits coming apart. Those outer bearings roll really good yet, nice and tight. And they say "MADE IN 'MERICA!!!" right on the side. So I'm not replacing them. They'll probably outroll the chinese crap i'd have to use to replace them. The idler pulleys still run smooth so they'll stay on as well. I'm gonna have dad sandblast and flat black the front pulleys while they are off and give the keyed shafts a good light sanding and some oil so that all these keyed/setscrewed pulleys will be able to be fine tuned when reassembled with new belts. The previous owner had them all out of whack trying to compensate for the rear bearing deal so I have the priviledge, no, dare I say, the HONOR(!), of getting all this crap back in perfect alignment in the next couple weeks (in 115 degree heat index) so I can proudly display it at the antique tractor show that's in town along with the car show and fair and all that mess. Garden tractor pull is also happening, maybe talk to those guys a little, see if I can't hook it up and break something expensive.

That's all, for now....

Edited by boostedbuick, July 02, 2012 - 11:00 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 03:35 AM

Glad things are still coming along as smoothly as they can.

:thumbs: on the giggles... We've all been there, done that.

#41 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 09:04 AM

So. As it turns out, I'm an idiot. Did you know, overtightening a setscrew on a hardened sprocket can crack it? Me neither...

It's going together as-is and I'm ordering a couple new sprockets to have here in case it splits. It's fairly easy to get to when assembled so I'll risk it for the sake of getting to run it/debug it prior to the local show I want to take it to.

One of the drawbacks to this machine is that when it's not running, it won't roll freely. One or two people can't just push it out of the way. you either lift it or drag it. So some of the basic stuff I'll need to have on hand to fix it wherever it may be sitting.

Edited by boostedbuick, July 04, 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#42 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your sprocket. That's a bummer, hope it hold for you and I guess there go the plans of pulling it for fun at the show...

As for moving it, you might consider a set or so of these.
http://www.harborfre...lies-67511.html

#43 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 09:33 AM

If there's a spare sprocket in my hand before I hook up, I AM dumb enough to do it anyway..

Those dollies would work good in the shed, but if it breaks on dirt somewhere, best option is a log chain and a truck LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_5393.JPG
  • DSC_5396.JPG

• MH81 said thank you

#44 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 09:36 AM

If there's a spare sprocket in my hand before I hook up, I AM dumb enough to do it anyway..

The only requirement is pictures and video... ;)

#45 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 09:40 AM

I am sorry about the broken sprocket, I hope you can find a replacement soon!