107 replies to this topic

#16 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm not holding my breath that they actually have the part I need. They said if they have the parts it's usually because they used them in a newer tractor also. Looking at how inferior this design is, I got a funny feeling they changed/upgraded it later. BUT maybe the new style part works? It really looks like it needs roller bearings in it, they way it's loaded almost 180 degrees out of phase through the shaft puts a lot of stress in one general direction. But I'm confident that new original parts would last plenty long enough for what I plan to do with it.

#17 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 09:14 PM

That is a neat machine! Oh, yeah, welcome to GTtalk! I am anxiously waiting to see a video of the dozer operating! :laughingteeth: How much do you want for it? :laughingteeth: Couldn't resist!

Geno

#18 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 12:17 AM

Welcome to GTT! Great find! Very cool getting the kids involved too. I also see a neat Cub Cadet in the background. - Mark

#19 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Welcome to GTT! Great find! Very cool getting the kids involved too. I also see a neat Cub Cadet in the background. - Mark

That's just an MTD built 1320 cub cadet that my wife's grandpa gave me. Dragged it outta the shed, got it running cause he said it had a snowblade that came with it. Snow blade does not fit at all (it's for a much older and larger cub cadet). SO it sits there with no purpose because there's no deck for it or any other attachments.

Now my wife's OTHER grandpa has an "original" Cub Cadet that he still mows his yard with (shares duty with a 110 John deere). I'd like to think that someday the kids and I will be restoring it. But you never know.
  • markdombroski said thank you

#20 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 05:58 PM

The manufacturer of the dozer said they do not have those parts. He told me the brass bushings are off the shelf parts. When the housing and shaft gets ate up though, most people convert them to roller bearings like they should have had from the start.

The housing would be fine with a new bushing and then swap them side to side so the load isn't on the worn area. BUT to put a new shaft in requires custom machining a shaft, I'm going to assume that putting a keyed shaft in a brass bushing is going to have the same effect as when I egg out a hole with a unibit, LOL. The keyway is going to eat the bushing out. Engineering a roller bearing setup looks pretty easy actually. A new 5/8 keyed shaft with roller bearings that are pressed into a tube, with a 3 bolt flange fabricated and welded on the end of the tube. Maybe a gusset or two. Only takes about $75 per side if I do all the work..... :rolleyes:

A new bushing with all existing parts would get it going great, for a while. Roller bearings will outlast me if done properly. Roller bearing conversion process pics will be coming (gotta wait till payday to start on this).

Edited by boostedbuick, March 28, 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#21 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 11:52 AM

lets see those scooters. or mopeds

#22 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Nice first pickup! :blush2: :thumbs: welcome aboard

#23 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 05:56 PM

I just found this thread, wish I had seen it sooner! That's a cool little dozer you have. I wish I had one, what do you want for that one? Welcome to the site! Glad to have you!

#24 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 10:23 PM

Quick update: I have basically nothing new to post! I have started collecting parts for the rear bearing makeover and will post a writeup of how I did it as soon as it's done. 4 bearings are here as well as the keyed shaft and the keyway stock. New outer sprockets are on their way here and I found the pipe that I am going to have machined for the bearings to fit. Turns out, no one makes an 8 tooth sprocket that setscrews on a 5/8 shaft. Only one I found was a lightweight go-kart piece that won't last, SO I ordered a 9 tooth keyed sprocket instead. Makes the ratio of that particular section 6:1 instead of 6.75:1.

Scooters aren't really post worthy either at this point. Maybe when they're done.....

#25 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 11:53 PM

MUCH overdue update. This project got stagnant for awhile scheming a way to get the rear bearing housings built cheap. I briefly forgot about the thing and then realized I need to just bite the bullet and have them built professionally before the project starts getting other projects stacked on top of it. So I did. $300 later I got really nice housings that hold replaceable shaft and bearing assemblies ($50 worth of misc parts go in the new housings). The hardened 9 tooth set screw sprockets are here and the shim stack that the original design used (luckily!) had the exact same thickness as the extra space taken up by the set screw sprocket design. See photos. "I'll take being lucky over being good any day of the week". Extra tooth meant adding an extra half link in the chains for proper length. Will likely replace both chains later but kinda budget conscious after the housing deal. It was my son's 3rd birthday on friday and he wanted to "go fix". SO we started putting it back together this weekend. I'm going to go overboard on photos so people can see what I'm talking about here and also to give any future dozer fixers an idea of how to tackle this problem. My dad sandblasted and rattle canned the big pullies flat black just so they'd be something other than "rust". Close up views at the end are looking into it from the back to give an idea of how the pullies sit in there, one side is still the old setup that you might even see the pulley misalignment on. Both new housings and one old housing are seen in the exploded ground views.
DSC_5073.jpg DSC_5075.jpg DSC_5079.jpg DSC_5108.jpg DSC_5109.jpg DSC_5113.jpg DSC_5117.jpg DSC_5118.jpg
  • Cvans and superspeedex have said thanks

#26 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:08 AM

Awesome work, great getting the young kids involved!

#27 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:25 AM

Glad to see progress here! Nice to have good help with your project! Thanks for the pics!

#28 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 05:37 AM

Thanks for the update. You couldn't ask for better help, by the looks.

Which one gets to go 1st? (gotta get the important stuff figured out now :) )

Tell your son Happy Birthday too!

#29 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 09:28 AM

From the pictures I would say you have made a heck of an improvement in the design. Will probably outlast the rest of the machine. Thanks for the updates.

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for coming back to fill us in! It looks like a great solid way to fix the problem, good job!

Just so you know, it is theoretically impossible to go overboard on pictures. Lol.