107 replies to this topic

#1 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 11:04 PM

First off I will openly admit, the only reason I washed up here was because this site had the plans/manual for this dozer. I'm a forum junkie (mostly cars but also 49cc scooters) so I figured WTH I'll post her on up here for you guys.

I found this dozer 2 weeks ago on a mission to purchase a couple non-running honda spree mopeds. They were stored in another shed, couple parts were missing that I asked about. He replied "well they used to be stored in this other shed, lets go look." He rolled the door open and my eyes beheld one of the most wonderful sights I've ever seen. I rank it #4 sights I've beheld. Numbers 1, 2, and 3 would be wife and 2 kids related, I'm getting off topic here. Anyway, this is what I saw...IMG00521-20120316-1518.jpg
IMG00522-20120316-1519.jpg

Exact words (pardon the french): F*%# THE SCOOTERS, HOW MUCH FOR THE DOZER!!!

He said his dad bought it new (late 60's), and he remembers assembling it in their garage when he was a kid. Said they had endless fun with it. Used it for snow removal, etc. One day (1980s) they just parked it and never started it again. Around this part of the story, my heart was sinking fast. Trust me when I say this guy didn't need money, and trust me when I say I'm not rich. Looking real likely that it'd take two fistfuls of benjamins to pry this guy from his fond memories on it. So we go back to the scooters, locate all the parts, close the deal, blahblahblah. When I'm leaving, I bring up the dozer. He said "I need to get rid of some clutter while i'm still healthy. If you're not buying it to profit from it, I'll shoot in the dark and say $500. If you won't pay that for it, I'll run it by some local tractor collectors and see what they think it's worth. Likely more than $500." I knew he was right so I spent the weekend selling some of my unneeded stuff and I borrowed the rest from the bank of dad to go get it before he changed his mind (dad wants to buy out my share and keep it LOL). Dad helped me get it home and now I'm REALLY stoked about it. Took $14 to get the engine running like new (new fuel valve/screen, fuel hose, spark plug, carb cleaner, quart of oil, and a new o ring for the float bowl). Gas tank looked like new inside. Tracks are only pitted on the bottoms where it sat on rock, apparently they got flooded at some point also. Penetrating oil had them freed up in one day. This thing has never been left outside, from the looks of it. I couldn't have asked for a better one to find.
I forgot the part about how I've wanted a tracked vehicle my whole life. I had "bulldozer ownership" on my bucket list, now I guess I can check it off for much cheaper than originally thought ( though I did think hard about an old cletrac I watched on an auction once.) Anyway, now that I'm done writing this book, I'll add some more pics of us getting it and me and my kids wrenching on it. The hood and grille DID come with it, unbolted.

Dozer1.jpg
me-n-kids.jpg
helpinghands.jpg
helper.jpg
helperette.jpg

Next post will be my currently unresolved issues with getting it to actually move.

Edited by boostedbuick, March 25, 2012 - 11:05 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, Talntedmrgreen and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 11:26 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us here. I think you will find this one of the friendliest places on the web. There are some very knowledgeable people here to help you with any question you might have arise.

That is a very COOL little Struck you have there, and I can appreciate all the help you are getting in the photo's, enjoy them while you can, they grow up quickly.
  • boostedbuick said thank you

#3 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 11:39 PM

OK round 2. I did what any red blooded American would do with their newly running machine: I slipped the belt back on the engine, pulled the rope and jumped on 'er. Got exactly 10 feet (to the front of the shed) when it threw both belts to operate the right track, rotated it around and it threw both belts to the left track. Bummer. I knew I need all new belts but you can't blame a guy for trying.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to see why the belts won't stay on it. Both of the "final drive" rear shafts with the big 12" pulleys on them, that transfer the belt motion through the body to a gear reduction sprocket/chain, are all cocked out of alignment. Worked the pulleys off of it (tight quarters), pulled the shaft out, and I see a medium sized problem. Outer bushings non existant, shaft wore into the housing which also ate the shaft up a little:

rearhousingassemblywear.jpg

carrierwear.jpg

shaftwear.jpg

Thanks to this site I have the blueprints for all parts needed. The prints call for bushings on both sides, they don't exist on the outers at all, no evidence of them. Can't tell if they just wore through and fell off or if someone forgot to put them there in the first place. It's apparent to me why "they just parked it one day" LOL. They probably had to keep putting belts on it every 10 feet.

I got a VERY talented machinist buddy who also grew up on a family farm fixing their own stuff. Pretty confident that between him and my local implement/hardware stores we can remedy this issue. Only "issue" is potential cost. Good news: Rest of the drive mechanism looks good. Might replace some idlers and bearings "just because", then again I may not. New belts are a given. Brings me to my only "real" question here: How do you tell an MD 40 from an MD 45? I think mine's the 45. Something about the 45 having the aggresive grouser tracks with a real drive chain and not the weak ones. Is that the only difference?

#4 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 11:49 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us here. I think you will find this one of the friendliest places on the web. There are some very knowledgeable people here to help you with any question you might have arise.

That is a very COOL little Struck you have there, and I can appreciate all the help you are getting in the photo's, enjoy them while you can, they grow up quickly.

Oh I know. My wife was a night nurse for the first three years of having kids. Just this winter she got a normal day job, and with the kids just getting to this age, and the weather getting good, my life is taking a very pleasant turn. When they get old enough to drive I suspect they'll just build a car out of the scrapyard and not buy a late model.

#5 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 12:01 AM

Did I mention the attention this thing brings with it? I mean, "I" knew it was cool from the instant I laid eyes on it. But I'm kind of a nerdy fellow, I figured everybody would roll their eyes at me for bringing home some other random thing to tinker with. But it seems everybody wants to see the damn thing. All weekend had friends and relatives over to stare at it. Multiple people have already wanted to be "first in line to buy it". I kinda wish it was less cool, as odd as that may seem. I get the feeling I'm going to be bombarded with the "how much you want for it" line at the antique tractor gatherings, etc. I wonder if I can do some exhibition pulls at the local garden tractor pulls....

Edited by boostedbuick, March 26, 2012 - 12:03 AM.

#6 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 03:03 AM

Thats a nice looking struck.Looks like your helpers are ready to tear into it.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 04:28 AM

boostedbuick,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

Those Strucks are neat little machines.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 05:58 AM

Welcome to GTtalk , I enjoyed the story of you getting the min dozer but it was more enjoyable to see the pictures of your kids helping their dad , Al

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Welcome to GTT. Nice score on the dozer. Sorry, I can't help with your questions, but there are
a few guys around here that know those things inside out. Hopefully they'll be along soon.
BTW, how much do you want for it?
  • boostedbuick said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:24 AM

:welcometogttalk: ,boostedbuick! Great score on the dozer! Cool little machines! Very nice pics of you and the helpers getting it running. Great story you have going here, very good reading. Hope you can get it to cruise around the yard without too much problem. You'll have lots of folks drooling over that machine.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 11:32 AM

Welcome to the Board!! That is one neat little machine! Good pictures of your mechanics working on it!!

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 05:33 PM

Welcome boostedbuick. That is a neat Struck dozer. Sorry it has a few problems. Sheet metal condition is not one of them. Looks to have been well cared for.
Congratulations.

#13 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Did something crazy today, called the manufacturer!!

Nice lady on the phone said she knows they have track parts available but for anything else I need to talk to a guy who wasnt there.

Calling back in the morning. If they have a solution it'd be foolish to do my own engineering.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Edited by boostedbuick, March 26, 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:16 PM

:welcometogttalk:

Did something crazy today, called the manufacturer!!

Nice lady on the phone said she knows they have track parts available but for anything else I need to talk to a guy who wasnt there.

Calling back in the morning. If they have a solution it'd be foolish to do my own engineering.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Great news! I've been to their website, I got the impression they might be the kind of company that would support their old products.

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:17 PM

:wave: boostedbuick! Welcome to GTTalk! Somehow I missed this until now. That's a great piece you picked up! Love the pics of your little Mechanics too! It's also great that the company not only still exists, but that they are willing to support an older product!