• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 07, 2010 - 09:38 PM

Love my Yamaha Virago 1100. I've owned over 175 motorcycles, most bought for resale. I used to run a motorcycle/ATV repair on the side of dairy till I burnt out on the crazy schedule. I don't get to ride that much, most local rides in the evening before dark. We rode 3 days last summer, staying near Reelfoot lake in NW tip of Tennessee. Plan to go see all the remaining covered bridges in NE Kentucky this summer. This pic was taken the day I bought it. Had to drive west of Indy to get her. I've put on a windshield since & bought a large leather luggage set for behind the sissybar. The Virago is about my all time favorite motorcycle. I've had a Honda Gold Wing, but just too big/heavy/bulky for neighborhood jaunts. This bike can do it all easy.

Posted Image

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 07, 2010 - 09:58 PM

Nice ride. I miss the motorcycles but the budget doesn't allow for one right now. I have had cruisers and crotch rockets and while I love the feeling of acceleration of the crotch rocket I must admit that the bike I enjoyed riding the most was the vulcan cruiser I had.

That sounds very enjoyable touring the countryside to check out all the covered bridges. There aren't too many of them left anymore.

#3 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 08, 2010 - 07:55 PM

Plan to go see all the remaining covered bridges in NE Kentucky this summer.

Hey Daniel, maybe we could do some riding together this summer. That covered bridge ride sounds nice. :thumbs:
Here is an old pic of my latest beast. This is the only pic I could find right now. I have lower it, added wide white walls, forward controls and a hypercharger to since this pic. I love the bike, it fun to ride, and comfortable.

Star classic 1100, with lots of add-ons and mods....
Posted Image

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 09, 2010 - 10:41 AM

Todd, likely you'd have to come more my way than me towards you. Dairy doesn't allow much time to get away. The dairy meetings in March are my main getaway, but still cow related I'm afraid. Wish it were warm so I could ride my bike to the meetings.
Here's article on Ky covered bridges.
http://melissajurgen...coveredbridges/

Here's a map of them:
http://hultgren.org/...ridges/map.html

Edited by olcowhand, February 09, 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#5 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 09, 2010 - 01:22 PM

Todd, likely you'd have to come more my way than me towards you. Dairy doesn't allow much time to get away. The dairy meetings in March are my main getaway, but still cow related I'm afraid. Wish it were warm so I could ride my bike to the meetings.
Here's article on Ky covered bridges.
http://melissajurgen...coveredbridges/

Here's a map of them:
http://hultgren.org/...ridges/map.html

That would be cool. If I can find a trailer to borrow, I could trailer my bike out there for a long weekend or something like that? I'm afraid to load that beast into my truck, the bed is way up there. :(

Yahoo maps says that we are about 9 hours away from each other.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 09, 2010 - 04:32 PM

That would be cool. If I can find a trailer to borrow, I could trailer my bike out there for a long weekend or something like that? I'm afraid to load that beast into my truck, the bed is way up there. :(

Yahoo maps says that we are about 9 hours away from each other.

My BIL Fred is a biker too. He has a Kawa Nomad 1500....and it's "GREEN"! LOL
Maybe we could all 3 hook up for a good ride! Todd, your wife enjoy cruising?

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 09, 2010 - 06:31 PM

My BIL Fred is a biker too. He has a Kawa Nomad 1500....and it's "GREEN"! LOL
Maybe we could all 3 hook up for a good ride! Todd, your wife enjoy cruising?

Yea, we should start planning this thing. We should set a date so that I can put in for leave at work. I don't mind driving to Ky. I have never traveled to go do a bike trip like that before, it sounds like fun. We could be the three amigos...lol.

My wife used to ride on the back of my bikes, back when I rode crotch rockets. She has attempted to ride one of my dirt bikes without much sucess, but that was 20 years ago. I really miss riding off road.

Since I bought this current bike, she has only been on it with me a couple of times. She worries that if we got in an accident that we would leave my daughter with no parents. I prefer not to think about such things. The funny thing is... we have a tandem bicycle that she rides with me and I feel more vuneralble on the tandem than I do on the Star.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 09, 2010 - 08:36 PM

You guys are making me jealous. Time to start saving the pennies. Be like that movie wild hogs and I can ride bit** lmao.

#9 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 01:27 PM

I know at you mean about saving pennies. I'm working on it now so in like 3 years when i can drive legally i can get my own bike since I already got a truck.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 01:55 PM

You guys are making me jealous. Time to start saving the pennies. Be like that movie wild hogs and I can ride bit** lmao.

George, you better ride a bike better than one guy in that movie....or I won't wanna be anywhere near you!:rofl2::rofl2: That movie is a hoot!

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 06:21 PM

George, you better ride a bike better than one guy in that movie....or I won't wanna be anywhere near you!:rofl2::rofl2: That movie is a hoot!

Ya that movie is pretty good, His name was dudly LMAO. I can ride better then him, I found amusing he was always having to ride the bit** position LOL.

#12 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 11, 2010 - 06:32 AM

Yeah, that movie was funny, I'll have to see the begining sometime.

#13 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted April 25, 2010 - 12:49 PM

sorry to bring up old threads but i wanted to say the virage looks real nice! i ride too. i got a bunch of bikes that need restored, i sort of collect them, but the one i'm riding now is a 1986 kawasaki 454 ltd. it's a little bike but me and the wife can do 110mph no problem so it's enough for me till the kz 1000 is finished.

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 25, 2010 - 01:16 PM

sorry to bring up old threads but i wanted to say the virage looks real nice! i ride too. i got a bunch of bikes that need restored, i sort of collect them, but the one i'm riding now is a 1986 kawasaki 454 ltd. it's a little bike but me and the wife can do 110mph no problem so it's enough for me till the kz 1000 is finished.

No apologies needed at all. You are very welcome to revive old threads! The 454's are great bikes! Is yours belt drive to the wheel?

#15 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted April 25, 2010 - 01:45 PM

yes sir, belt drive. i gotta say i'm impressed olcowhand, most people are unfamiliar with this bike.