• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wmflhtcui OFFLINE  

wmflhtcui
  • Member No: 9191
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hey guys. Hoping for some help. Got an Ariens GT 16 a few years ago. Got her running easy (fuel pump) and love her. Bought primarily to use with front mount snowblower for my fire house.
LOVE this thing but...
Started seeing a hydraulic drip from the rear end. It got worse so I pulled rear off and found hairline crack in left side outer housing. Cleaned it and tig welded it best I could and it held for a couple months. Now it is back and worse.
Have talked to many an old lawn mower guy and they all say the same thing. "Yup those tractors are good all but that rear end" "nothing else will fit it" "can't do much for you"
It will break my heart to get rid of this. I have seen some rear ends on ebay and may get one. Need to know if another model will fit; is there an upgrade; will the next one break too; is it the wheel weights causing the added stress?
This is a hydro rear end. Have checked a lot of spots online for replacement housing and none are available. Thanks for your time. Look forward to your replies.

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, good to see another PA member. I can't help you on the rear, my s16 model had the left side broke by another owner so far the welds are holding. I'm not sure how much Ariens switched rears, might be able to get one out of an older one. Someone more knowledgable should be around soon. The model number would be helpful for locating one.

Edited by shorty, March 24, 2012 - 10:24 PM.

• wmflhtcui said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:34 PM

I just checked site sponsor Bob, and he has a rear off a 18 hydro listed on his ebay store. Good chance that might fit on yours, I would check with him to see if it would fit.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 04:30 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

Sorry I can't help you.

#5 ariensman2 OFFLINE  

ariensman2
  • Member No: 8720
  • 8 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Check with http://www.joesoutdo...vlet/StoreFront
I have had good luck with them getting some parts. They part out tractors all the time. I have an HT16 but the hydro is an Eaton and made of alluminum. Not sure what yours would be. Is it a cast iron housing?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 02:32 PM

I just checked site sponsor Bob, and he has a rear off a 18 hydro listed on his ebay store. Good chance that might fit on yours, I would check with him to see if it would fit.

Definitely check with Bob. Great service & none friendlier.

#7 AriensDon OFFLINE  

AriensDon
  • Member No: 9768
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hello
I'm new to site. I seen this thought I put in my 2 cents.
As far as I know Ariens usedthe same rear end in all Hydro GT tractors. Sorry to here yours is cracked. I have had my Ariens since it was new it's a 1979 model. It started out life as a GT14 in 1995 I put a Kohler 18hp magnum twin cyl. I have never had any trouble with the rear end or hydro unit. In fact I still have the kohler 14hp engine and it still runs. It just smoked a little when first started.
I checked Jack small engines and a new housing is $728 I hope you find a good used one.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 04:35 PM

Welcome to the forum, Don! Glad you could offer some help. Always nice to have folks put in their thoughts on a problem!