• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 01:26 PM

I purposely built the tongue on my smallest trailer (5x9') with an extended tongue for 2 reasons...ease of backing & trailing better. But then it's for road use and only occasional use pulling with a GT. I have a short tongue on the small trailer I use to bring baby calves to the barn with the 4-Trax. It has a short tongue and is a beast to back up. I'm someday going to build a new calf trailer, and it's gonna have a longer tongue!

#62 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 04:00 PM

The length of the tongue has nothing to do with how it tracks backs or whether you can see it!
Mostly that would be determined by the length from hitch to axle, and whether you can see it by total length/width/height!

Basicall as I stated before, excessive tongue length is nothing less than reduced cargo space!

A 4ft trailer with a 12ft tongue is 16 feet long.
A 10 ft trailer with a 6ft tongue is 16 feet long.
Assuming they both have the same axle center line from the hitch, they will track,back and turn the same....

Thats not to say a long tongue is always a bad thing, maybe you only wnat a certain size payload capacity, and as you guys mentioned, you want the thing to trail, back and be easily seen....then a longer tongue may be the correct design!

A trailer that is going to be used behind a GT as well as a pick-up? I think I would put a sliding tongue on it, but like everything else, it is all in your application.

There are alot of factors in building a trailer, and the first consideration should always be your application!

#63 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thanks! I am looking forward to the thread! There will be a thread... right?

I guess there will be, lol!

#64 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for clearing that up! 'cause before he said I had some tongue extending to do!

Damn!. My mind said Hitch, my well reasoned logic confirmed hitch and my stupid fingers typed tongue.

I'm so sorry Ryan, exactly the opposite of what you need to do. Some advice, huh? LOL

If we ever do get to shake hands, please give me a good swift kick in the rear for that.

#65 Tencubed OFFLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 06:07 PM

First post on this forum, been reading quite a bit today and like the give and take here. Looking forward to learning and, where possible, contributing.

The tree rub rails Ryan313 has added to his trailer should do a great job and seem to be working well. He mentioned putting similar extensions behind the wheels as well. This may or may not be a great idea as small saplings that are deflected outboard of the tires can snap back into the opening between the tire and this rear deflector causing hang ups and damage. If a flat steel strap is added from the front deflector to this rear deflector then it works well. This strap must be bolted or pinned in place to facilitate removal of the wheel of course.

Being in the non-lightweight category I'd have to add supports to those rub rails or risk collapsing them when using them as a step. They would make a great place to add a toolbox or fuel can storage for chainsaws and such.

The fact that Ryan313 decided he needs these added features on his trailer indicates he's a member of the "Trailer pulling is a contact sport" club. I'm pleased to welcome you to our illustrious group Ryan!

A brief thought on hitches and trailer tongues. If the distance from the center line of the tow vehicle rear axle, assuming a single rear axle, to the center of the hitch ball is equal to the distance from the centerline of the hitch ball to the centerline of the trailer axle the trailer will track directly behind the tow vehicle in corners. If the trailer measurement is longer it will track inside the tow vehicle on corners. If the tow vehicle distance is longer the trailer will track to the outside of the corner. A little math will tell you by what percentage.

Mike
  • MH81 said thank you

#66 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 02:17 PM

The fact that Ryan313 decided he needs these added features on his trailer indicates he's a member of the "Trailer pulling is a contact sport" club. I'm pleased to welcome you to our illustrious group Ryan!

LOL!

A brief thought on hitches and trailer tongues. If the distance from the center line of the tow vehicle rear axle, assuming a single rear axle, to the center of the hitch ball is equal to the distance from the centerline of the hitch ball to the centerline of the trailer axle the trailer will track directly behind the tow vehicle in corners. If the trailer measurement is longer it will track inside the tow vehicle on corners. If the tow vehicle distance is longer the trailer will track to the outside of the corner. A little math will tell you by what percentage.

Mike

I knew someone smart would come along and correct me!
Thanks Mike!

#67 Tencubed OFFLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 04:06 PM

LOL!

I knew someone smart would come along and correct me!
Thanks Mike!

Not a matter of smart, just lessons learned from being a member of the "contact sport" club.

8>)

Mike
  • RoosterLew said thank you