• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Way to go, 8tyman8! Heck of a deal there! Thanks for the pics.

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for the video
The engine is not original, and I'm guessing it was replaced by the previous owner or possibly by a Bolens dealer if they were still in business at the time of replacement. If you get the numbers off the ID tag you can tell what year the engine is.
It Appears you have a regular V-Belt for the starter generator belt which is why the belt could be slipping. A cogged belt will have a better grip on the pulleys and will not slip. I have found that these work great: http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c23f1874d

#18 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the video
The engine is not original, and I'm guessing it was replaced by the previous owner or possibly by a Bolens dealer if they were still in business at the time of replacement. If you get the numbers off the ID tag you can tell what year the engine is.
It Appears you have a regular V-Belt for the starter generator belt which is why the belt could be slipping. A cogged belt will have a better grip on the pulleys and will not slip. I have found that these work great: http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c23f1874d

i tryed the wisconsin motor thing and it says
Produced Year: 1988
Produced Month: August
Engine Model: W2-1230/35/50
and the motor has been painted also the SG is not a delco and its dated 2006 but its rusty also the belts the one on the sg is not cogged and it does not seem to be slipping i do have some used cogged bolens belts so i slap that on there and the pto belts on the tub frames are A41 well the guy got A40 so that sucks but the tractor runs pretty good no smoke no knocks no lifter ticking no leaks paints crap but i like functionality not appearance
Cheers
8tyman8

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 08:04 AM

The Motors were painted that olive color from the factory

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 08:32 AM

Wow, great deal. The next best thing to an Original Engine is an OEM replacement.

Great find, thanks for the pics and vid

#21 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for that great video. It's really good to see more younger people keeping the interest in GTs.

Free snow blower, batteries and this deal, yup, I'd say it is your week.

#22 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 10:26 AM

WOW, what a week! Thanks for sharing.

Geno

#23 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 06:24 PM

so i worked on it a bit more to day i cleaned up the electrical and moved the VR from under that dash to ontop of the motor because its not working right the am meter is all over the place also i changed the oil and put a 90 degree street elbow on the oil drain the old oil was as thick as molasses even after running also i swapped the light bulb from the g14 so now i have a matched set of working lights tomorrow i will go to the parts store and pick up some fuel line and replace the rotted out stuff and i will put 1/4 SS swageloc lines and fittings and o need to clean the carb
cheers
8tyman8
IMG_0267.JPG

#24 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Exelant find... I went to a guy the other day ,, He had 3 bolens large frames,, I thought I died and went to heaven.. But I asked about a spare mower deck he had and he quoted me 350.00 I lost all hope of getteing a good deal.. The cheepskate that I a'm ,, someday I will find a deal like your'es..I did however find a G16 the other day for 200.00 parked in a barn not running. I'm into the large frames thou..

#25 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 09:03 AM

he had lawn tractors the first was a turf king the second was a craftsman aws the third was a ayp and he had some other stuff the nice thing was it was all in a barn out of the weather

Congrats, the way thing are going you may need a barn too, in order to consolidate your collection, continued good luck and thanks for posting. :thumbs:

#26 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Exelant find... I went to a guy the other day ,, He had 3 bolens large frames,, I thought I died and went to heaven.. But I asked about a spare mower deck he had and he quoted me 350.00 I lost all hope of getteing a good deal.. The cheepskate that I a'm ,, someday I will find a deal like your'es..I did however find a G16 the other day for 200.00 parked in a barn not running. I'm into the large frames thou..

Wow 350 I have gold every were then I have 7 large frame 54" decks.
I know you cant sell them for that much unless it like new.

#27 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 11:07 PM

then to add the guy came into town and dropped of the tire i forgot also the g14 runs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens