Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

If It's A 316, 318 Or A 420.... It's Totally Obsolete!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 10:50 AM

There still seem to be quite a lot of parts available for the older 300 series. I bought quite a few for my 83 314 last year. I got everything I needed for the refit I was doing. i think the Onan parts may be the issue. I say that JD still has excellent support for it's older tractors but there is always a limit to how long new parts can be found.

#32 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 11:23 AM

I am amazed at the number of parts available for the RF tractors. If parts are still available for the chassis of a 50 year old tractor then I would not expect Deere to dump support too soon for them.

#33 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 10:03 PM

i've been away for a bit, but i wish to put my 2 cents in.

i have a 318,

i think even with the high price of engine replacement, it would be much more expensive to replace with a new deere that has the same features.

last time i checked it was close to 10k

i hope my onan engine lasts for a long time, but if it goes i'm saving up for the 24hp honda.

jk

#34 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 10:14 AM

i've been away for a bit, but i wish to put my 2 cents in.

i have a 318,

i think even with the high price of engine replacement, it would be much more expensive to replace with a new deere that has the same features.

last time i checked it was close to 10k

i hope my onan engine lasts for a long time, but if it goes i'm saving up for the 24hp honda.

jk

Yes it would be nearly 10k to get a new tractor (700 series) that would have the power and features. I may be wrong but the 500 series GT's don't look like they would be as capable as the 318. I saw a used 425 the other day with 500 hrs on it and a front blade setup. They were asking 4k for that.

#35 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 01:09 PM

I think JD knocked it outta the park with the 318.

I have a friend that uses them in the Chicken barns, has 2 with over 3000 hrs on each of them,

Changes the oil and tranni fluid once a month, never had a major problem.

Even a beat up one around here is still $1500,

#36 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 06:43 AM

Yes, the 318 was a game changer for GT's. I've only seen a few 318's here over the years and if one comes up for sale it usually disappears quickly. 3000hrs isa lot. It shows what good maintenance will do for the lifespan of any equipment. So many tractors are completely worn out at a fraction of that amount due to neglect of maintenance and abuse. Unfortunately that's usually what seems to come up for sale!

#37 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 07:09 AM

Welp, my neighbor just bought a 318 last night. She's a smoker, but he only paid $400 and it came with a blade and weights. He was impressed after watching me rebuild mine, so has volenteered me to help him. So here we go again, another Onan build!

#38 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Second time will be easier, and you'll have a helper! 400 sounds like a smokin deal to me. Hopefully it will work out for him. Sometimes these tractors have been run into the ground and it takes a lot of time and money to get them back to reliable workers again.

#39 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 11:14 AM

Second time will be easier, and you'll have a helper! 400 sounds like a smokin deal to me. Hopefully it will work out for him. Sometimes these tractors have been run into the ground and it takes a lot of time and money to get them back to reliable workers again.

And in the end you have a tractor that cannot be replaced with a new one for comparable money.

#40 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • Member No: 9017
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 11:52 AM

It's all good, and I'm glad that you all can still find parts. At least in my area, Columbia equipment and reagan equipment which comprises 4 John Deere stores, couldn't get anything for my 316 mower deck. They advised getting a modern deck and modifying it. I'm fully aware that parts are readily availible for the other older models such as the 112 and so on. I had called Cummins in Spokne Washington, and they said that they only had 2 rebuild kits for the Onan in my machine, and once they were gone..... they were gone forever. When I tried to sell the mower, each person who called, was concerned anout parts availibility for the Onan motor I had, and after getting the model number from me, many people dropped the ball on me. As our local Deare dealerships stated to me........... Motor out of production, the machines are destined to become yard ornaments. Anyhow, I almost bought a 112 after learning that parts were easily come by, from the dealer. But when I found out that my 316 was destined for an extensive remodel and retrofitting of another motor, I said to myself.... Self? Paint me orange! I know that here in my area, on craigslist, there are lots and lots of Onan generators and tractors with Onans in them for sale. I suppose for the same reason that a person would restore and keep a 1950 Nash, a person would maintain a 316 too, but the fact is that they are going to be drifing off into the sunset, as sadly as it seems. I wasn't trying to keep anyone from rebuilding their own beloved Onans.... No sir!

#41 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 09:05 AM

I'm sure the same was said about the Kohler K-series also and the old 110s/112s and 140s. And they're still around, people are still using them and rebuilding them. A good design will last a long time and will keep these tractors around.

What mower deck do you have? I still see that most of the parts are still available on JD Parts. And there are replacement decks available that doesn't need modifying.

#42 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • Member No: 9017
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Actually, when I called Deere about parts availibility on the 112 I was going to buy......... You could get absolutely anything for them, right down to the decals for the dash! I'm not sure what deck it had. The whole machine is in someone elses garage now. We're on a first name bases with both dealerships because we bought the 316 from one, and our other tractor from the other, so they were both fairly intimate ion knowledge about what we had. The folks closest to us, are fairly 'tarded based on numerous accounts both from us, and from others in our area. Shortly before I had sold our 316, the Columbia equipment dealerships were hostilly taken over by another franchise. A few conversations with these new owners, basically made it real clear to me, that we would never be doing business with them again. I don't care if you're "Jesus", selling tractors.......... attitude is a huge factor with me. The Kubota place is just too eager to take my money. I really liked the 316 and have not a bad thing to say about it. It was a great machine. I pondered and made every attempt imaginable to revive it. I even contemplated putting a iesel in there! In the end, I figured that if it was this hard to get parts for it, then we needed a non relic around the place. I remember even a couple years ago, when I tried to buy a new fuel cap for the 316, neither dealership could locate one. I wound up putting a spray can lid over the filler tube. Anyhow, I felt fortuneate to get what I did out of it. I still have an Onan technical manual for rebuilding the engine on either a 316, 318 or the mighty 420. I was going to stick it on ebay to see what that was worth, or if I could even garner any interest in it at all.

#43 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't care what the brand, if a dealer gives me attitude....I am history with them....period!

#44 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 12:35 PM

I don't care what the brand, if a dealer gives me attitude....I am history with them....period!

Truth right there! There is big money to be made in large equipment/repairs and I wonder if some dealers see the LGT stuff as a waste of time. I switched from the big dealer down by Omaha to the dealer across the river in Onawa because a local guy works in the parts department and will bring parts to my door. That's service in my book!!!

#45 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 05:04 AM

Being in a suburban area my local JD dealership does a lot of business in the LT/GT range. They are part of a large 8 dealer network covering 3 eastern provinces. They seem to take great care of their customers regardless of the level of purchase. In a dealership dominated by sales of 200+hp tractors and large implements I can see where it would be easy to let the service on the small stuff suffer. Not good policy for any dealer but I'm sure it happens. I would buy another brand if I didn't get good service from my JD dealer.