Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

If It's A 316, 318 Or A 420.... It's Totally Obsolete!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • Member No: 9017
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 01:56 PM

Thats a nice upgrade to the SCUT. Worth the price in the long run. If you decide you don't like it in a year or 2 it won't cost you much as the resale is excellent.

Oh believe me, I love it! It's a toss up between this and my 41 hp JD.

Edited by tractorbeam, March 25, 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 04:45 PM

There's something about a small tractor that seems to make it more fun. I've thought about downsizing from the 2320 now that I have my trails built. I am toying with the idea of selling it if I can find something smaller with a loader and a 540 rear pto to run my backup generator.

#18 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Just wanted to let you all know that I sold the 316. Hated to see it go, but I needed the room bad.

#19 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:21 AM

Have you tried Onanparts.com?

Also check this thread out on wfm:

http://www.weekendfr.../17/190822.html

#20 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Rings for the Onan are easily available. You can even get them through Hastings Manufacturing. Rods are available std, .010, .020, and .030 undersize. Gasket kits, rods, pistons, rings, valves, valve guides....all available. Your dealer steered you way off line. I'm not saying the parts are cheap, but easy enough to get. Onanparts.com has everything.

Thats where I bought most of my parts with the exception of some good deals on ebay. So happy that I did the rebuild... love the sound and power of my Onan!

#21 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:35 PM

I hear ya! My 316 was only 16 HP but it would run the 48 inch deck with out a problem at all. Hell, the belts would squeal before the engine would labor at all. Gosh, now I miss my 316 already! :bounce: I can't bring myself to park the Bota in the 316's spot yet.........

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 11:00 AM

Gosh, now I miss my 316 already! :bounce: I can't bring myself to park the Bota in the 316's spot yet.........

That's just the diesel fumes making you woosey! LOL You could always paint the Bota green so it looks more at home in the 316's spot!

#23 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 11:13 AM

That's just the diesel fumes making you woosey! LOL You could always paint the Bota green so it looks more at home in the 316's spot!

Well, I was actually contemplating trying to get a 110 or 112, but the problem is, in my area, no matter what the circumstances are, everything is a friggin retirement fund. I remember years ago, as in at least 20, I finally got tired of seeing this old 1950 Chevy truck sitting out in a field with a bullet ridden cab on a frame on the ground, meaning no wheels, no axles no engine or transmission, no bed no seats glass steering wheel clove box, you get the idea. I pulls in there and ask the guy if he wanted to sell the thing. He says to me "Oh no, my boy is going to fix it up" to which I replied "well, tell your boy to get a good job, cause he's gonna need it!" 20 plus years later, the truck is still there, but they did flip it over on its top with a tractor or something and it's been sitting there upside down for at least 15 years or so. This is largly the reason why everything on my place is strictly for practical purposes. Nothing on my place is just for looks except my vintage audio gear LOL!.

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 04:20 PM

Trying to find good used tractors is very difficult here as well. I am amazed when some of the guys post about truckloads of GT's they pick up for a song. Older JD's are particularly rare. 300series or even 318's are not very common and I've never seen a 140 or much else older than 1975. Pretty slim pickings if you like JD's. When they do come for sale they are usually totally beat or the price is ridiculous like the "rare" 300 that was for sale in very good shape with a blower and tiller for a nice round figure of 10,000.
Vintage audio gear, that sounds interesting. I don't own any vintage stuff but do build tube gear for my own use.

#25 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'm still jamming to my Cerwin Vega D9's and Kenwood Tuner that I bought in the early 80's out in the garage. Sounds just as good or better then anything you can buy today! I still have my dual casset deck and single CD player as well.

Old Tractors seem to be more available around my area, but they always want a pretty penny for them as well. I've been contiplating selling both my 318 & 400 and either spring for a 445 or maybe a compact. I'm mowing 5.5 acres and using both tractors to get it done in one afternoon.

#26 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:35 AM

5.5acres - That's a lot of lawn. If you can find a good used 455 or the newer x series with a diesel you might be happier. The 2305 ,2210 or the new scuts might be a possibility as well. The problem with JD's 2000 series compacts is that they are geared high and if you have hills they can have trouble mowing in high range.Try before you buy!

#27 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thats where I bought most of my parts with the exception of some good deals on ebay. So happy that I did the rebuild... love the sound and power of my Onan!

They do sound so cool, especially the starter cranking over. Only 16 hp, but had plenty of go!
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#28 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for this post Tractorbeam and all you guys who have chimed in. I have a decision to make for my :thumbs: engineless 446 and even though folks love their running Onans, love turns to hate when they DON'T. I don't need a money pit, so my 446 will get something else !!

#29 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:29 AM

A lot of people seem to be using the Vanguard vtwins to re power large GT's. I don't know how they are working out in the long term but they seem to be a popular choice. It's a big expense either way but if the cost was similar I'd personally go for the new engine. I am not a collector so I'm more interested in function and reliability than keeping it original.

#30 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Obsolete? Guess I shouldn't have bought spindle bearings today from the local dealer for the H048G deck sitting under my 1978 316. :rolleyes: