Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

If It's A 316, 318 Or A 420.... It's Totally Obsolete!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • Member No: 9017
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:24 AM

I recently found out that my 316, coupled with the 318 and the 420, with the Onan Engine, is discontinued. Parts for any part of them are getting highly scarce and if you thought John Deere was expensive? Try finding parts for one of these series! Gasket set........ over $350! Total engine rebuild was quoted to me at just over $3,000. Ouch. I cannot in good concious sell this thing to someone, so I'm not really sure what to do with it. John Deere dealer grabbed X amount out of my wallet before they let me know that...."Oh yeah, to rebuild the rest of the motor is near impossible and will cost you X" This is part of the reason the 316s replacement is now orange. My local JD dealer did not do me a good service at all, by replacing the valves guides and seats, then lidding the thing without rings or even letting me know. Just dropped it off and handed me an $800 bill. After I went in and raised hell, they dropped it down to $300, but I still have a smoking oil using motor now. What should I do? It runs exceptionally well and is in great shape, but the moment you are honest with a perspective buyer, which I ain't gonna lie or omit info, you find that you can't give it away. Would I be able to recoup some of my money by parting this thing out, or should I just use it until it goes, which with worn rings and a new top end, shouldn't take too long to blow it up.

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 11:12 AM

Have you looked at putting a different engine in? I've seen other posts here about others putting in a new engine in 318s I think. They are such great tractors and I'd seriously consider a new engine if my 318 was too expensive to rebuild.

#3 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 11:46 AM

Well, we bought the Kubota to replace it, but I hate just hauling a perfectly good running tractor to the scrap yard. If I kept it, I'd have to store it outside and it just wouldn't last long in that type of setting. You are right though, that the thing is exceptionally well build!

#4 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Even if it uses a little oil it should last a long time as long as the oil is kept full. A little smoke is not bad. Don't give up on the old iron.

Geno

#5 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Based on your statement most of the Deeres on this forum are extinct. The Kohler K series engines are in the same boat as the Onan. Both my 110 and 120 are powered by the Kohler K-series.

Repower is the answer on a solid 120/140/300 series tractor and there are many options. While they look expensive on paper in the long run it is still far cheaper than a new tractor. What happened to the 316?

Edited by Trav1s, March 24, 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#6 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 02:04 PM

IMPO I think that your dealer is blowing smoke and trying to sell you a new mower. Yes I have heard that Onan parts are getting harder to find but I do believe that they are still out there. You might have to check with Cummins as they bought out Onan I believe. But you need to take it to the dump you could dump it off at my place and then you would not feel so bad. LOL

I am sure some others on here would agree

#7 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Based on your statement most of the Deeres on this forum are extinct. The Kohler K series engines are in the same boat as the Onan. Both my 110 and 120 are powered by the Kohler K-series.

Repower is the answer on a solid 120/140/300 series tractor and there are many options. While they look expensive on paper in the long run it is still far cheaper than a new tractor. What happened to the 316?

No, according to Cummins, who deals in the Onans, the Onan B43E series is done finished and they only have a handful of parts kits availible. We're still thinking about keeping it, but the Onan would have to go if we did. It's just that after spending what we did on the Bota..... $$$$, we just can't justify sinking money into the old beast. I'm thinking that parting it out is the best option, but still
mulling it over. I have a guy who wants it, but was concerned when he learned about the parts and the expense. It runs great, but blows oil up into the carb through the crankcase ventilator, causing it to smoke really bad. After about 20 minutes, it's gone through a half quart of oil. It still seems to have plenty of power though.

Edited by tractorbeam, March 24, 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#8 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 921 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 04:27 PM

wished you lived closer to me i have a P218 onan that needs a GT.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 06:15 PM

A few years ago a bearing went in my 318 , even at that time JD didn't offer a complete motor only a long block ,if I remember around $900 for one , I got a complete replacement engine from a truck garage that was a Onan dealer because I guess they are used for refrigeration units or generators on the big trucks , I just gave them my serial number , had a few things to change and modify it was around $1,400 back then ,but was an up grade to 20 hp . It's a problem your going through , unless your going to keep it ,it might be better selling it "as is" , I don't know prices but maybe others could give you an idea just the way it sits , Al

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 08:45 PM

LOL $3000 rebuild?

I suppose if they charge you $800 for a valve job it all correlates

www.onanparts.com

#11 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I never actually paid that. The dealer was bought out by PAPE and the old owners thought they'd stick it to me I think. One problem though...... They never gave me any idea of how much it would cost, so I never authorized the fix, and they dropped it off at my place before I was billed. I wound up paying only three hundred which didn't even cover the cost of the parts according to them. The service guy said he'd have to have the rest taken out of his paycheck. I told the guy that he should have communicated a bit better. Not my fault. I have a guy who seems interested in the mower. We'll see......

Edited by tractorbeam, March 24, 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 10:50 AM

Sounds like a lousy dealer to me. I've found JD's parts availability is still pretty good on the older 300 series. It's a challenge getting parts for a lot of 25+ yr old GT's regardless of brand. The Onans do seem to be expensive to rebuild but people love them anyway. I think you can sleep easy if you sell it after advertising it as is. Parting it out may yield more cash but will be more work and take quite a while to happen. I'm curious as to what model Kubota you got to replace the 316.

#13 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 11:03 AM

After going to another John Deere dealer, and looking at the only thing they had that was used, a 2001 425 with a blown motor, (ran without an air cleaner) in route to being cheaply rebuilt with no warranty and a firm $5,000 price......... we hot footed it down to the orange dealer, and bought a 2005 Kubota BX 2200 with 227 hours on it and in totally new condition, except for a handful of small scratches, and I mean they are small. Anyway, $8,000 and we have something with 4 wheel drive and a diesel.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thats a nice upgrade to the SCUT. Worth the price in the long run. If you decide you don't like it in a year or 2 it won't cost you much as the resale is excellent.

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 01:06 PM

Rings for the Onan are easily available. You can even get them through Hastings Manufacturing. Rods are available std, .010, .020, and .030 undersize. Gasket kits, rods, pistons, rings, valves, valve guides....all available. Your dealer steered you way off line. I'm not saying the parts are cheap, but easy enough to get. Onanparts.com has everything.