• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:03 AM

About three months ago, the P.O.S. car that I bought at the suggestion of the local inspection station had the rear springs fly out from under it. This is after having to replace both front struts because they rotted off one at a time and had to replace the fuel pump before the sticky was dry on the inspection sticker (never made it out of the parking lot.) Drove it for a whopping 3 months.

My blood pressure has been thru the roof over this, took someone else's word for it and paid dearly. I'm so upside down in that car, I decided I would never let another soul drive it again. Going to the junk yard on Tues or Wed. Might as well give it away as someone else get messed up in this rust bucket.

Karen and I have been looking to replace her Caravan and I'll drive it as it rusts away. We finally found a decent van for what we could pay. (Thanks again, Cash For Clunkers)

It's originally from Mississippi, so it's never seen salt. Looks just as good on the bottom as it does on the top. Little higher miles than we were looking for... but it runs, shifts, handles, stops great!
Photo387.jpg

Finally. Now onto funner things.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Wow Alan, you were right, that van does look new. Great score.

Oh, take lots of pics at the scrap yard lol.
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 11:07 AM

Alan, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Salt relly wrecks the underside.

The "new one" does look great. I hope it has few issues during your ownership.
  • MH81 said thank you

#4 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 11:16 AM

I found that the mechanics know about cars no more than you or I.The garage i use rant and rave about how good Honda is.Well needless to say they had a honda crv in w/70,000 miles on it.Geuss what it needs? An engine.My wifes 99 chevy malibu that we bought new now has 125,000 on the odometer still running strong.The only things that i did to it was Brakes and rotors,alternator serpintine belt and battery.They said that car would be nothing but problems.Goes to show you don't always listen to a mech.I still rub my chevy in my brother in laws face when he gets on his honda kicks.He's one of the mech at the garage.Use your own judgement.
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 11:53 AM

Alan told me last night that the PO had a list of receipts for work done on the van in the last two year and it was all the wear parts. I think he said struts, tires, tie rod ends, brakes and rotors, and some others.

I have learned the tell tale signs of crap vehicles and how to spot them and say no. Never buy with emotion. And always inspect twice yourself. Never let the seller do the selling, do it with your own checklist.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, March 24, 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#6 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 12:00 PM

Before buying a used vehicle it is always wise to crawl underneath to inspect the condition. If you can find someone who will put it on a lift so you can inspect it is even better.

Alan, I am sorry to hear about your vehicular misfortune. May the van be a reliable, long lasting vehicle for you.

Geno
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 12:13 PM

All Alan has been dreaming of is being a soccer mom just like his wife. Lol
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 02:09 PM

I found that the mechanics know about cars no more than you or I.The garage i use rant and rave about how good Honda is.Well needless to say they had a honda crv in w/70,000 miles on it.Geuss what it needs? An engine.My wifes 99 chevy malibu that we bought new now has 125,000 on the odometer still running strong.The only things that i did to it was Brakes and rotors,alternator serpintine belt and battery.They said that car would be nothing but problems.Goes to show you don't always listen to a mech.I still rub my chevy in my brother in laws face when he gets on his honda kicks.He's one of the mech at the garage.Use your own judgement.

Alan, I'm glad you are able to get this sorted out. Before I met her, my wife had purchased a new Pontiac Grand Am. During our courtship and the early part of our marriage, that car was repeatedly in the shop with poor running due to "dirty injectors" The dealer would keep the car a few days, repair it under warranty, and then return it. The warranty ran out at 50K miles, and before we could make any decisions the car started pouring oil from the engine. We had to tow it to the shop then while it was at the shop the alternator bit the dust. I told my wife we weren't keeping that car any longer, so we bought a "dependable" Toyota Camry with about 10k miles on it, nearly new, right? Imagine our surprise when we found out about 4 weeks later that it had a transmission problem and ended up needing a new transmission. I thought I'd never hear the end of that, but after that one problem, the Camry settled down gave us over 120k miles of service before my wife rear-ended a Chevy Avalanche.
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 02:43 PM

In 2005 I bought a KIA sportage and it has never given me a moments problem. In 2006 we decided to trade my wife's Toyota van in for a KIA Sodona. That car has been nothing but problems with the electronics. The worse part we found out KIA does not stand behind their warranty. So even when you buy new you can still end up with problems.
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 03:09 PM

Sorry for the problems you've had Alan. Very glad things are now turning the right direction for you!
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 03:34 PM

All Alan has been dreaming of is being a soccer mom just like his wife. Lol

I think I'll have to dream up something especially nasty to get you back for that one. :bigrofl:

And, just so you know, I got a haircut... my wife's hair is longer than mine again :dancingbanana:

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Alan,sorry to hear about your "nightmare".Glad you are going to get some cash out of it.
  • MH81 said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Glad you found something with a little promise to it. Good Luck!
  • MH81 said thank you

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 05:48 PM

These day it's hard to find the good ones, not much for us youngs gen's to look farwards to, im glad you was able to find a good van, may it give you many, many, many years of survice.
  • MH81 said thank you

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Lol Alan, I know you admire my good sense of humor.