• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 billmac OFFLINE  

billmac
  • Member No: 9187
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 09:51 AM

I recently aquired a GT 5000 Mdl 917.276020. How do I determine what year it is?

Thank you,

Bill M

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:08 AM

Bill, that's a tough one on the Craftsman stuff. The system that they used to number makes it pretty hard to pinpoint.

Let us do a little diggin' and see what we can come up with. BTW, a picture of it may help narrow it down.
  • billmac said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:14 AM

Google images & Poking around, I'd say it's early 2000's. Best guess; 2003-2004 ish

#4 billmac OFFLINE  

billmac
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 02:51 PM

Here are some photos of the tractor.

It was abondonded in a storage shed and the owner told me it was mine if I hauled it off. Spent most of the day today cleaining it up and got it running. Runs great. Needs some deck attention and belts. Not sure if I should spend a bunch of money on this if the year is too far back and my return on investment isn't very high.

Any advice is appreciated. What would resale be if I bring the deck back to order?

As requested, I have attached four photos after clean-up.

Thank so much for replying so quickly.

Bill M

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05282.JPG
  • DSC05283.JPG
  • DSC05284.JPG
  • DSC05285.JPG

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 06:21 PM

That's identical to my 2004 GT5000. I will see them quite a bit with good mower decks around here for around $950.

Probably worth putting a few bucks into belts, oil change & filter, fuel filter. A few more into the deck & flip it if you don't end up wanting to keep it.

I love mine, comfy & lots of power. It's been my main snowplow for several years now. Pulls a brinly plow very well also.
  • billmac said thank you

#6 billmac OFFLINE  

billmac
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 06:53 AM

Thanks so much for your reply and help. My wife and I are thinking about keeping it because I am not sure how much longer my old green 42" rider will last. I have kept good care of it, but you never know. Since this GT is newer, it might be worth keeping it. Were is the best place to get belts and parts at reasonable price vs. Sears. Also, I read in the manual I downloaded that there is some tube that came with it for changing the oil. I don't have that or any of the other things that came with it new. Thanks again..

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 08:15 AM

If you look behind the frame near the front right tire, you will/should see a tube sticking down on an angle. It's between the drive pulley and the frame. What's on the end of it? On mine, it's a "sleeve" screwed onto a piece of pipe with a cap on the end of it.

That sleeve is a valve. Push, half turn, pull it think. If it's there, the only thing missing is the cheap little clear plastic tube they sent to put on the end to better direct the flow of old oil. I have never used it, as it's more trouble than it's worth IMHO. Just make sure your catch pan will handle some flow direction changes (at first it comes out pretty good, then it drops to where it just clears the steering cross arm).

As for belts, the last time they were changed, it got Sears belts. That was before TSC came out with their better line of belts tho, so next time... Probably get those. Just don't go cheap on the belts, you'll end up paying more in the end. What's wrong with the old ones?
  • billmac said thank you

#8 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 04:06 AM

Flip the seat up towards the steering wheel, there should be a sticker on the sheet metal under the seat. The first 6 characters of the serial number are the month/day/year. Looks something like this:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1537.JPG

• MH81, caseguy, Michiganmobileman and 1 other said thanks

#9 billmac OFFLINE  

billmac
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Okay, I am back after a while and want to thank everyone for their help and comments. I have basically renovated this tractor to a nice running machine. My final step is to install my new defector, spring and pin. Is there some where that shows me how to put that spring on. I have studied it, but am at a loss.

Thanks

Bill M

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:58 AM

Here is an exploded view of the mower deck at Searspartsdirect. You can scroll around to see where / how to mount the spring. The key is that the spring should keep the deflector in the down position so it should be loaded to do so when installed. Hope that this helps.
  • MH81 and billmac have said thanks

#11 billmac OFFLINE  

billmac
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thank you for responding, but I have this diagram in my manual. Just this view does not show how the ends of the spring are to be seated. This is a real puzzle.

#12 billmac OFFLINE  

billmac
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 04:25 PM

By golly....I got the spring on. I went to the local Lowes store and looked at one of the Husqvarna 48' tractors and saw how it is done. Now that I looked at the Husqvarna tractor, my Craftsman sure looks like a Husqvarna but painted red. I thought about this as some of the parts I bought had Husqvarna part numbers. I guess all brand tractors come from the same place, just painted and decaled differently.

Thanks for everyones help as my project is coming to a happy ending.

Bill M

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Welcome, Bill. I missed all the action on this, it seems. Glad you got it figured out.