• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 legintrebor OFFLINE  

legintrebor

• Member No: 2029
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 03:48 AM

Can anyone tell me how they static timed the CCK A engine on a CASE 646. I have been looking at many documents on line and looking at the actual tractor, but none seem to marry up. On the tractor when looking through what is the hole in the blower case at the timing cover I can see marks some long some short but cannot see any numbers which would indicate degrees before TDC. I know its pretty dirty in where I'm looking so cleaned the marks but still unable to see any degree numbers. Question is were these marks always given degree numbers? With the size of the hole in the blower case you can only see a small number of marks (about 15) so the TDC mark is out of sight. Now the flywheel I've rotated many times by hand to look for a corresponding TDC mark but cannot find one. This is the part of the flywheel on the back where the ring gear fits. None of the lugs on the back of the flywheel appear to have any marks on them?
Basicaly I'm asking has anyone static timed one of these and how did you do it? Are there more covers to remove?
I know the books say use a strobe light but you need to have a reasonable static setting first and also know what marks your trying to line up.
Sorry about the long message but any help would be appreciated.
regards
Nigel

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 04:13 AM

I looked in the service manual for this and this is what I saw:
Onan CCKA.jpg
I haven't a CCKA, so haven't tried this. Hope it helps. I know on my B43M, the TDC mark is on the face of the flywheel.
  • legintrebor said thank you

#3 legintrebor OFFLINE  

legintrebor

• Member No: 2029
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi Kenny,
thanks for prompt reply. I will have to remove some panels to view marks as indicated on picture, but at least I know what to look for.
many thanks
regards
Nigel

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 08:47 PM

The reason you only see the marks before TDC is it is timed to about 20 degrees before TDC so no shrouds need to be removed