12 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 07:57 AM

Went out last night and pulled some weeds out of the strawberry patch.
It has rained gently for the past 3 days and I had not been out.
After doing that I went out into the mini-orchard I planted last year.
And found that the peach trees were in full bloom.
That's a full month early!!

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 08:09 AM

I hope you don't get a freeze on them. If not, maybe some nice tasty fruit to eat earlier in the season.

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 08:23 AM

You hit it on the head Kenny. We are at least a full month ahead of schedule here for some things. I fear a freeze could spoil lots of things here too.

On the other hand, I hope you do get those peaches early.

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Wow ! that's really cool, if you don't get a freeze, my god, you'll be picking right into fall.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 01:02 PM

Wow ! that's really cool, if you don't get a freeze, my god, you'll be picking right into fall.

I wish that were true! I just planted these tree's last spring, so they are pretty weak in structure to support a crop.
I may have to pick a bunch off so they don't break the limbs before they get some strength.
They had peaches on them when I bought them and I picked them off last spring while planting so they would put the strength into building the root system.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 03:28 PM

This crazy weather is likely to give us trouble later in the year. It was as hot here yesterday as it would normally be in the hottest part of the summer. It's calling for flurries and a high of -1C for Tuesday so it will be freezing everything up again. Although it's a nice change to have this heat in March extreme weather like this really is worrying!

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 09:43 PM

This crazy weather is likely to give us trouble later in the year. It was as hot here yesterday as it would normally be in the hottest part of the summer. It's calling for flurries and a high of -1C for Tuesday so it will be freezing everything up again. Although it's a nice change to have this heat in March extreme weather like this really is worrying!

Very worried,...calling for rain tommorow here with 50's, i won't even think about planting untill end of May.
The Apple whips at the farm more then likely is starting to bloom too, a freeze could kill them.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 06:04 AM

Very worried,...calling for rain tommorow here with 50's, i won't even think about planting untill end of May.
The Apple whips at the farm more then likely is starting to bloom too, a freeze could kill them.

We have a large apple growing area here in the Annapolis valley. They are already voicing the same concerns you have. The crop could be pretty much destroyed if we get a hard freeze after an early startup.
  • trowel said thank you

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 06:53 AM

We have an old Pear planted sometime in the early 1700's that may be blooming too, one every 3 years or so she will bear fruit, this is the year she is due, a deep freeze would kill her.
I will be on pins and needles untill May, waky weather.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Now that's an old tree. Hope it makes it.
  • trowel said thank you

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 07:55 AM

The 4 Cider trees at the edge of the old cow pasture has all dies, the last one stopped growing leaves 8 years ago, they were planted around the same time as the pear tree.
The Cider tree next to my house died about the same time, it fell over a few years ago, Pete has a pic of it from the early 1800's before the war when this area was a Maple tree Orchard for sugaring, it was already 100 years old.
Ma was the first state in the union, it is normal to see things well over 200 years old here.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Sounds like lots of history there Trowel. We have had some sort of fungus going through the spruce and fir trees here that is killing a lot of them. I wonder if it is something like that doing in your cedar trees. If changes in the weather are putting the trees under stress they will be more likely to be felled by disease. We are now at near normal temps again and this morning there was a skim of ice on the pond in the back yard. As warm as it was last week the ants and most other insects did not come out which tells me that spring is still a ways away.
  • trowel said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 08:29 PM

I think your right Brian with the cedar being killed by fungus, very little left here now and the Maples are having a heck of a time with the warming then cooling, many has did around here and replaced with the fast growing sumac tree or the other good for nothing garbage that's finding it's way up here. Temp dropped to 50 today with rain and will be 20 tonight, as i was worring about this may kill my Apple wips, crabapples the pear tree and severely cripple the Maples, the next week or so will tell.