39 replies to this topic

#31 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 10:02 AM

Me too, I could see the broom working ok if the needles were laying on dirt where they could be swept fairly easy. I wonder if it is capable of pulling the needles out of wild grass or off a lawn?

#32 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'll see if I can get some video or pictures soon. I need to tidy up around the house soon. As for how well it worked, it wasn't perfect. You could come back and rake and get more needles up off the grass. And if the needles got too heavy or if you tried to push a windrow farther over, then the needles would start wrapping around the broom and dumping out the back. But there are something like 30 trees in a circle around the house and the needles cover about 1.5 acres. This lets me get up 80+% of the needles in one day and move them to a burn pile or put them around trees and shrubs. Important with so much to do.
  • speedyg and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#33 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 10:25 PM

I have been looking for a company that makes a wheel rake for a gt and so far have had no luck. Does someone know of a manufacturer making one?

#34 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 11:39 PM

I have been looking for a company that makes a wheel rake for a gt and so far have had no luck. Does someone know of a manufacturer making one?

http://www.edneyco.c...state-yard-rake

http://www.swisherin...creage_rake.asp

http://www.swisherin...chrage_rake.asp

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 23, 2012 - 11:48 PM.

• speedyg and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#35 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thanks oldbuzzard I could not find any for a GT to save my life. What do you all think about the prospects of the wheel rake for pine needles??? If someone knows of somthing better please speak up. I am going to purchase somthing!!!!!

#36 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 05:44 AM

In the first link in my last post they address that in their FAQ section:
  • Q: Will it rake pine straw?
  • A: Yes.
  • Q: Will it rake acorns?
  • A: Yes and no. If there is a large quantity of grass being raked up at the same time, then yes. Otherwise the tines are not spaced closely enough to rake acorns by themselves. If the tines were spaced closer together, the rake would be far less effective while raking and dethatching grass, which is the purpose of the Estate Rake™.
  • Q: Will it rake pine needles?
  • A: Yes, the rake does very well with longer needles (3'' and up), but short needles are difficult if you are not raking them with a lot of grass. Raking grass along with debris always gives the best results because the debris will ''stick'' in the grass. Down in Georgia they use the rake for raking long pine needles, then they bale them up and mulch them into garden beds.
Here's a vid of it in use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sXUTmjHBTc

My guess that the same thing would apply for the Swisher rakes as well.

I also found a 3rd one. I don't see any pricing info the the ground driven one, but they have a motorized one listed at 1,135.00.
Interesting thing about this one is that it has an oprional BRUSH SWEEPER KIT as well.

http://www.graetzmfg...%26-Trail-Rake/

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 25, 2012 - 05:46 AM.

• KennyP and speedyg have said thanks

#37 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thanks oldbuzzard for taking some of your time to help me research some of these rakes. I am really leaning twarde one of these wheel rakes, they look like that they could give those needles a run for their money. The price is a little steep but seems reasonable. My neibor got a quote to rake and remove about three quarters of an acre at 500.00 heck with the rake I might be able to pay for it by subbing it out?

#38 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:43 AM

Yesterday, I thought I'd try using the snowblower on my MF1650, to clean up the sawdust around the
sawmill. I was surprised at how well it worked. Just a thought.
  • speedyg said thank you

#39 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 07:49 AM

I was using the vacuum on the rug , ( Lab dog hair is tuff ) this weekend and it got me thinking , how about some type to rotation brush in front of a trac-vac suction pickup ? The brush would lift the needles and the vac would suck them up
  • MH81 and speedyg have said thanks

#40 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 05:54 AM

OB,thanks for posting that video.