#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Now that you mention it, yes, i think i seen it at TSC too.

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 04:23 AM

Have a lot of Pine needles as well but since I don't have a lawn it's not as big an issue for me. They break down quickly but acidify the soil so it's a good idea to get them off the lawn. There seem to be lots of different ways to rake stuff up. I have more trouble with them in the rain gutters. They are constantly plugging up and the systems for keeping leaves out of the gutters don't work with needles.

#18 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Here's a picture of a dump rake. Use to ride one as kid putting up hay loose (we didn't have a baler). I hated it. It gathers up the hay, when full you stepped on a foot lever that tripped the tines to dump the hay. I you were holding on to the back of the metel seat the tines would smack your fingers when they came up and they came up fast. http://forum.gon.com...ad.php?t=457208 http://www.agrisuppl...rake/c/2600051/ http://mtepinestraw.com/m/rake.htmldump rake.jpg
  • speedyg said thank you

#19 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 07:06 AM

I can remember seeing those in use. Oops, showing my age here!

#20 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 07:50 AM

PINE NEEDLES ARE EVIL- IMO the ONLY thing I see here that will work is perhaps Buds Dump rake. For those without the problem, you can park a truck under a pine tree and in a matter of a few weeks, the CLOSED engine bay will be full of 'em. They lack the surface area to blow or vacuum them and of such a small, ridged diameter, that unless a mower blade is super sharp, you cannot mow 'em either. Pine trees vomit something year around-needles,cones, bark,catkins, etc. If you can't tell, the very SUBJECT makes me cranky and I'll stay tuned in anxious anticipation of a solution-(other than a chain saw that is)

#21 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Brian, I here ya about the roof and gutter problem!! I am also in the process of researching a rake for the roof and when I figure out how to get the tractor up there I will update you. :laughingteeth:

#22 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 12:31 PM

bolens collector, I do think that the wheel rake might have some merrit. do you have to deal with pine needles? I would like to see a photo when you get if possible. I also think that the dump rake would work, has anyone seen a dump rake made for a gt? From hand raking experiance the tines have to be agressive. And I would guess that the design would need to be as simple as possible due to the fact that the pine needles will hang up on anything in the way.??? The York may work, but seems to have the chance for the needles to hange up under the unit? anyone have any experiance with the York?

#23 Bigdaddydon OFFLINE  

Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1755
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 01:22 PM

How about this

• speedyg said thank you

#24 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 01:32 PM

Great lookin' rig. Great lookin' Shepard too.

Geno

#25 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 01:49 PM

BigDaddydon's video seemed to do OK with 2 implements , but I saw no pine needles. There doesn't seem to be a magic bullet. I think if you started with a standard lawn rake-like his-with stronger brush tines -wire-not plastic-with about an inch of spacing, then spun them faster, you could improve pick-up (leave less behind).Spinning faster would allow you to use a larger catch-bin also. IMO, this would also help in cleaning up the cones that accompany the needles. I have 9 of the suckers-2 are over 85ft tall and this is the cone collection from 1 tree in 2-weeks (my SIL wants to make Xmas wreaths)

Recognize the bag Will?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012032120120321_01_02.JPG

• speedyg said thank you

#26 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 02:51 PM

My Dad's house is ringed with big old pine trees. This winter I used a slightly modified Gravely Power Broom to help gather the pine straw. Basically, I could make a pass over undisturbed pine straw and pile it into a windrow. Then I would return on the other side of the windrow and gather another 4 ft space into the windrow. After a few passes, you are left with rows spaced 6-8 feet apart, then we would drive down between the rows with a 4x8 trailer and gather the rows each side of the trailer. The modification was putting dual wheels on the castors.

Attached Thumbnails

• Gravely broom.jpg

• Alc, IamSherwood, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 03:55 PM

That's a good idear Howard, thank's for that.

#28 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 02:48 AM

Just throwing this out there...

Maybe a set of dethatching blades on the mower, coupled with something like the EZ-Vac, or Cyclone vac?

Dethatcher blades might get them lifted up off the ground so the Vac could get them pulled out?

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 23, 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#29 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 03:51 AM

My Dad's house is ringed with big old pine trees. This winter I used a slightly modified Gravely Power Broom to help gather the pine straw. Basically, I could make a pass over undisturbed pine straw and pile it into a windrow. Then I would return on the other side of the windrow and gather another 4 ft space into the windrow. After a few passes, you are left with rows spaced 6-8 feet apart, then we would drive down between the rows with a 4x8 trailer and gather the rows each side of the trailer. The modification was putting dual wheels on the castors.

I'd sure like to see some pics of the working side of that broom-it may be the best solution.-Lee

#30 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 07:22 AM

I think the power broom looks like a solution.
I too would like to see it in action.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you