GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Tried to finish tilling the front lawn today and ran into a small problem. Well the rock wasn't all that big anyways.

If anyone has the two lower housing halfs and is willing to sell them please let me know.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-03-21 RotoSpade _002.jpg
  • 2012-03-21 RotoSpade 2.jpg
  • 2012-03-21 RotoSpade 1.jpg
  • 2012-03-21 RotoSpade _012.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Man, I'm real sorry to hear that, the tilled area looks nice at least. I think I'd better check mine for weak spots there too.

One thing I don't see is the depth wheels, were they on it?

Is there any way you can see to put it back together like angle brace around the break so you can use it until parts are found?
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#3 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Ouch!! Sorry to see that happen to ya. Have you thought about trying to weld it back up.Its on the top side away from the internals- i would try it myself. Yard looks really nice by the way.

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:52 PM

I removed the depth wheels and replaced them with two turnbuckles.to better control the the depth plus the wheels were only a little more than 1" wide so they varied a bunch depending on the firmness of the soil. The turnbuckles may have let me go a little deeper than 6:.

I am considering using some 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" 10 gauge angle iron to build a box around the top and bolting it all together until something comes along. If so I will probably need a bunch of JB Weld and RTV silicone to keep the oil in and the dirt out.

Tomorrow mornining I will pull off a piece of the housing and take it down to a guy to see if it is weldable since I only have arc and MIG but no spool gun.

One thing I did not see in my haste to get the tiller up and running was there should have been a 5" or so bolt that ran through the sides of the frame and through the gear to help stabilize the lower unit. Not the first time I have followed the old "The hurrider I go the behinder I get." rule and paid the price.

Thanks,
Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-03-21 RotoSpade _014.jpg
  • 2012-03-21 RotoSpade _015.jpg

Edited by GTTinkerer, March 21, 2012 - 09:57 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 10:26 PM

Bill, I just put my shoes on & went out to look. My bolt is there, but loose enough that it wouldn't provide much support.

Thanks for the heads up, I might not have caught it.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 10:40 PM

It can be welded, you need to find someone who has repaired cast iron before and know all the Pre and Post weld heating procedures.

#7 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,455 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 12:49 AM

I had the same thing happen to mine last yr right at the start of the season. I found that it had been cracked for a long time and finally just gave out completely, and had a lot of sand and crap in the chain and gears. I got another one free that is the heavier unit with the cross pipe and bearing on the outer ends of the tine shafts.

the cases of these are made of cast alumium, and dont look like they would weld up to good and would have to be dead straight as the sides contain the roller bearing for the shafts. I looked at doing it but decided not to waste a bunch of time on sometime that may only last a short while.

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 05:39 AM

Mine is cast aluminum also and I haven't seen many cast aluminum welding jobs work out well. I think that if I use the angle iron on each side and then run a bolt all the way through both sides with a spacer between the halves it might last until I can locate another one. Figure it is worth a try anyway.

I could easily see that this one was cracked in a few places due to oxidized areas and spots where it had worn the break smooth.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, March 22, 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 07:15 PM

I haven't had a chance to work on this since it broke but one of the places I contacted said that perhaps the lower unit off an older walk behind rotospade would work. I am posting some photos of what it looked like in one piece and maybe someone with a walk behind unit could take a look to see if it looks doable.

Thanks,
Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-03-01 Sears Roto-spade_002.jpg
  • 2011-03-01 Sears Roto-spade_003.jpg
  • 2011-03-01 Sears Roto-spade_004.jpg
  • 2011-03-01 Sears Roto-spade_007.jpg
  • 2011-03-01 Sears Roto-spade_009.jpg
  • 2012-03-14 Sears rotospade_008.jpg

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 07:20 PM

I did find out that Sears sells the repair parts for the tiller but at $388 for one side, $391 for the other and $12 for the gasket I would pour gas on the thing and light it on fire first.

Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, March 26, 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#11 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Oh Boy I am thinking that is way different from what I got, will know better tomorrow evening.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 10:15 PM

I haven't had a chance to work on this since it broke but one of the places I contacted said that perhaps the lower unit off an older walk behind rotospade would work. I am posting some photos of what it looked like in one piece and maybe someone with a walk behind unit could take a look to see if it looks doable.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, I was going to post this exact thing tonight after everything settled down this evening. My FIL has a walk behind rototiller with the Roto-Spade logo. The case appears to be identical with the addition of a shifter where the small round plate is on top of the gearbox. IDK if it's in/out or multiple gears, but I will try to swing 'round and grab some pics and info tomorrow nite.

#13 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,455 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 12:53 AM

if you look close at the gear case sides, you will see where the handles would bolt on. I have a 63 tiller in the walker mode, it uses the same case as the 3pt one. Mine has the high/low/R shifter on it also, with a 6hp Tec engine. Your tiller in the picture is the same as the one i broke last yrs other than the color. I still havent figured out a good way to repair it. Now that ihave the super duty one i might just let it lay here.

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 04:52 AM

Man,sorry to hear of your problem.

#15 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:34 AM

"if you look close at the gear case sides, you will see where the handles would bolt on. I have a 63 tiller in the walker mode, it uses the same case as the 3pt one. Mine has the high/low/R shifter on it also, with a 6hp Tec engine. Your tiller in the picture is the same as the one i broke last yrs other than the color. I still havent figured out a good way to repair it. Now that ihave the super duty one i might just let it lay here."

The three point mount on mine looks like it could be homemade since all the gouges from cutting with oxygen/acetylene are still there. Could it be that this was a walk behind converted to three point and the super duty one was a factory built machine? But then again maybe just a difference in the years they were built or model numbers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Bill, I was going to post this exact thing tonight after everything settled down this evening. My FIL has a walk behind rototiller with the Roto-Spade logo. The case appears to be identical with the addition of a shifter where the small round plate is on top of the gearbox. IDK if it's in/out or multiple gears, but I will try to swing 'round and grab some pics and info tomorrow nite."

Thanks. It would be very helpful if you could also get the model number.

Thanks for the replies.
Bill