#16 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 09:04 AM

As far as the spindles go,you can upgrade them to make them stronger.

Good thought, I may need power steering as well! :orangecool:

#17 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 09:11 AM

I used to have a Johnson 12 loader on a JD 140. Nice little loaders, but 800#, NO!!! I don't remember for sure, but I think the manual said closer to half that. They are a good little tool, but limited!

I ended up selling the 140 with loader & buying a JD 790 Compact w/300 loader, before I tore the 140 up! ~~ Lowell

I have the same concerns. The 10 TC loader is rated for 250 lbs. I asked Troy, person in the YouTube video about this, he indicated that the limiting factor was the small PTO driven pump that comes with the 10 TC and the loader was designed not to overload the small GT frames such as the 110. He indicated that the Case has an oversized heavy-duty pump that increases the lifting capacity of the loader and that the frame is stronger and more capable of the extra weight.

Having said this, I agree that his 800 lbs. claim was a bit of an embellishment. I guess the only way to find out is to do the work, mount the loader to the Case and do some lifting tests. :smilewink:

Edited by markdombroski, March 22, 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#18 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 10:13 AM

The 250# rating is going to be to full lifting height. It will get allot more than that off the ground but not very high.
I knew there was a thread about a Sears FF with a loader but couldn't find it the other day. I found it so here you go.
http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=171133
Watch his video and then take a guess at what the mower weighs. The Case is 1100# plus whatever he has in the weight box which they recommend should be 500#. The Case loaders are rated at 600# to six foot high.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-vyXe1PGMQ
Somebody always says you'll need power steering but I'd rather have a locking diff.
  • markdombroski said thank you

#19 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 11:10 AM

The 250# rating is going to be to full lifting height. It will get allot more than that off the ground but not very high. I knew there was a thread about a Sears FF with a loader but couldn't find it the other day. I found it so here you go. http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=171133 Watch his video and then take a guess at what the mower weighs. The Case is 1100# plus whatever he has in the weight box which they recommend should be 500#. The Case loaders are rated at 600# to six foot high. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-vyXe1PGMQ Somebody always says you'll need power steering but I'd rather have a locking diff.

Thank you for sharing this information. It looks like both the Case 446 and FF/20 are good candidates for a loader. I am leaning towards the Case right now because so I can tap into the existing hydraulics. Great video of the 644. I am wondering if the 644 has a heavier duty front end?

Edited by markdombroski, March 22, 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#20 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Consider a safetey factor too! An 800# lift doesn't do you much good when the loader frame is sticking into your chest! My JD 790 w/300 loader is rated for 740# (at the pins) & it's more than a garden tractor! ~~ Lowell

#21 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • Member No: 9017
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 11:35 AM

Consider a safetey factor too! An 800# lift doesn't do you much good when the loader frame is sticking into your chest! My JD 790 w/300 loader is rated for 740# (at the pins) & it's more than a garden tractor! ~~ Lowell

A 790 is cosiderably more than a garden tractor..............Hey Grnspt! How the heck you doing?

#22 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Nice use of word imagery! I am hoping that my loader will scoop a bit of dirt, push snow, and do some lifting of objects to save my back.

#23 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 04:18 PM

Nice use of word imagery! I am hoping that my loader will scoop a bit of dirt, push snow, and do some lifting of objects to save my back.

These little loaders are a great tool, as long as they are used sensibly! I had a 4' boom, forks & an angle-able snow blade for my #12.

I was just in need of a bigger unit. ~~ Lowell

#24 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 05:10 PM

Here is a video of a FF/20 with a home built loader pushing snow.

Edited by markdombroski, March 22, 2012 - 05:20 PM.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#25 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 08:47 PM

That's the same guy as in the thread and video I post earlier.
That's his homemade loader on the FF.

#26 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 11:08 PM

That's the same guy as in the thread and video I post earlier.
That's his homemade loader on the FF.

It is the same guy and the link was in the thread. I thought it was good to directly post the video. I like the concept that he has both Case and the Craftsman FF. I wonder if I could get the home-made loader plans from him?

#27 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 03:45 PM

An 800 lb lift at the max height is NOT an embellishment! It's also NOT recommended except under very specific circumstances. The system pressure to accomplish this is well within the normal pressure capability of all components, so seals, etc, are not at risk.

The 2 areas of concern for stress are the front axle pivot and axle components, including tires, due to the payload and the rear end connection to the frame due to the torque.

Payload capability is limited by the system pressure relief and/or the counterweighting applied to the rear of the tractor.

I had a MF12H many years ago with a FEL. Max lift and transport was in the area of 650 lb. The same FEL now resides on my MF1655 which has lifted and transported a 1400 lb payload (barely).

Foot pedal hydro control is the best. With hand control, you will run out of hands in a hurry, but it is doable. Power steering is a plus, but not critical.

The precursor of the MF1655 is the MF14/16. Add them to your list of candidates.

Avoid calcium, it rusts out the rims in about 12 years. Use RimGuard.

I did break the MF12H in half 3 times in 7 years with that loader. Rear axle torque did the breaking, not the payload. A front blade will have the same effect. Brace the loader subframe against the axle.
  • caseguy and markdombroski have said thanks

#28 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:04 AM

I had a quick way loader on a Sears Twin 16/6 garden tractor. It was a very handy rig and I got a lot of use out of it. The main thing is to remember what they are rated for. The book said to limit it to 300 lbs. With that much weight in the bucket it had no trouble lifting it but the steering was the biggest limiting factor. The tractor had quite fast steering for mowing but turned very hard with a load in the bucket. I had enough rear weight added that traction wasn't a problem. This tractor was a gear drive and a foot controlled hydro unit would have been faster when pushing snow.
After I got my Farmall H and put a loader on it the Sears didn't get much use and I sold the loader off of it.

#29 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 09:46 AM

Put the loader on the 446, weight the tractor down, and use some common sense when lifting the bucket. The tractor will handle the extra weight just fine and the case hydraulics are a perfect match for the PSI requirements of a FEL. If the fluid reservoir from the loader is plumbed into the tractors existing system, your hydraulic fluid temps should run cooler than they currently do on the 446. Just a thought.

Good luck and have fun.

#30 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 10:47 AM

I really appreciate all of the feedback regarding the loader configuration. This has been a very helpful discussion. I am an engineer by trade, and consider this to be requirements gathering session and part of the planning and design phase.

I think that I will outfit the Case 446 with the front end loader. I may also look for some type of add-on power steering and foot operated hydrive control.

Another question crossed my mind. Many people insist on using Shell Rotella oil for the hydraulics powering the hydrive hydrostatic motor. If I tie into the Case hydraulics, will the Shell Rotella oil be compatible with the Johnson 10TC loader cylinders?

- Mark