#1 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 12:14 PM

Recently, I had the opportunity to pick up a bunch of Cub Cadets including a Johnson "Workhorse" 10 TC loader.

http://gardentractor...det-motherload/

I am trying to decide what I would like to do with the loader. Use it, or sell it? It has been my observation that loaders on Garden Tractors are neat looking, but push the technical envelope. For example, you need to have a counter weight and wheel weights. There are concerns about additional stresses to the front wheel/steering spindles. And when using the loader, you can do light weight work such as moving bark and carrying light payloads.

I have considered that if I really wanted a usable loader, I would get one on a larger tractor as it would be more suitable for doing sizable work.

Now having said that, I have a bunch of tractors and a Johnson loader. I was thinking that "If I was to mate the loader to a tractor, which model would be best suited?"

It appears that the 10 TC is made for the John Deere 110, 112, and Cub Cadet 12x. It may also fit on a Massey Ferguson MF10-16. I believe that the 12 TC model fits the John Deere 140.

I also saw a video where someone mounted the loader onto a Case 446.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm11dzAmvhc

I think that mounting the loader on a larger sized tractor will yield better usage results.

My two largest tractors are the Case 446 and Craftsman FF/20. Both have the Onan dual cylinder engine with 16 HP and 20 HP respectively.

Therefore, I am considering mounting the loader onto Case 446. For this solution I may need to fill the rear wheels with Calcium and install a counterweight.

Also in the Youtube video comments, he indicated that he hooked the loader to the Case hydraulics. Another comment said that the bucket was overpowered, assuming that this was a result of the direct hydraulic connection to the Case pump. My research shows that the hydraulic reservoir for the loader is in the frame. When connecting directly to the Case hydraulics, will another reservoir tank be needed to service the cylinder extensions?

There are many thoughts to consider.

In general what do you think about loaders on Garden Tractors? Are they reasonably usable? Would you consider getting a larger tractor + loader instead?

In my situation, what would be the best mate for the 10 TC loader?

I have models:

- John Deere 110, 112, (old/new), 140
- Massey Ferguson 10, 12, 14, 16,
- Cub Cadet 122, 124, 125, 127
- Case 446
- Craftsman FF/20

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards,

- Mark

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pictures below of Loader, Case 446, and Craftman FF/20. (Note that the loader is not attached to the Cub Cadet)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1304.jpg
  • IMAG1305.jpg
  • IMAG0987.jpg
  • 1.jpg

Edited by markdombroski, March 22, 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#2 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Your worried about counter weight but you'll need it on a larger tractor too.
Granted a GT loader isn't as capable as a Case 580 but you have to figure out what you need to use it for.
My skid steer is down at the moment and I'm very thankful for my Case 646. It wouldn't lift a round bale but it pushed them. Don't sell a GT loader short.
I think the Case or the Sears would be a great choice. You'll find very quick that you wish you had foot operated travel which some have added to the 400 series Case tractors.

• markdombroski said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'll give you $50 for it. Then you won't have to worry about all those things.

#4 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:17 PM

This afternoon I called "Troy", the person in the YouTube video who mounted the Johnson loader on his Case. He owns a small Tractor and equipment business and works on a lot of Case equipment. He indicated that the loader was a good match for the Case and that because the loader hydraulics are attached to the Case pump, he is able to lift up to 800 lbs. Don't know if this in an embellishment, but sounded good to me. He also indicated the need to fabricate a 3/8 inch support member for the front and mid loader mounting points. He indicated that it locks into place with pins and takes about 1 minute to detach from the tractor. Asking about the usability, he indicated that it did well pushing snow and lifting dirt. He indicated that it did not do too well lifting mud and gravel due to the excess weight. All-in-all, it sounds like the Case + Johnson combination is reasonable solution that is worth considering.

Edited by markdombroski, March 21, 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#5 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'll give you $50 for it. Then you won't have to worry about all those things.

$50 to take my worries away? :smilewink: That would take away all of the fun! :laughingteeth:

Edited by markdombroski, March 21, 2012 - 06:28 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Your worried about counter weight but you'll need it on a larger tractor too.
Granted a GT loader isn't as capable as a Case 580 but you have to figure out what you need to use it for.
My skid steer is down at the moment and I'm very thankful for my Case 646. It wouldn't lift a round bale but it pushed them. Don't sell a GT loader short.
I think the Case or the Sears would be a great choice. You'll find very quick that you wish you had foot operated travel which some have added to the 400 series Case tractors.

Thank you for the good points. I can see why the foot operated travel would help to free up a needed hand for the loader hydraulic controls.

- M

#7 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Personally I have thought about a loader on the 5518 but, decided to wait for the right deal on a small skidsteer. Given the situation you have I would need to modify my thoughts some. The bird in the hand thing comes into play here. Having said that I vote for the Case with onboard hydraulics. Build the mounts needed and weight it down. You might be surprised what it will do. A small loader has to be better than no loader. Just my thoughts.

KURTEE

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Mark , can't really help you with picking which tractor would be best but can tell you I had a Ford 3400 utility tractor w/fel and when I picked up a Power King with a loader needing repairs I thought I would fix it and sell it for a profit , Well about 15 years later I still have the Power King and the Ford sits no-running from not being used !!! Found the GT w/fel is the handiest thing to have around the house . Al

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 10:02 PM

I have mounted loaders on several larger GT's. The bigger the GT the better from my experience. Power steering is a very big plus. The foot operated hydro makes operating the loader much easier and quicker. Fluid in the rear tires and wheel weights drastically increase the work you can do. I leave my chains on all year around.
800lbs lift on the tractor shown? My diesel Bolens GT2000 won't come close to that and I wouldn't be comfortable trying it. 400lbs is where I have the by-pass set at. If you do build a loader tractor make sure to include an adjustable by-pass valve in the system. It will keep you from blowing seals, hoses, or damaging your tractor.
My GT loader is by far the most used piece of equipment on my acreage and that includes a regular loader tractor.
Good luck with your project.

#10 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 10:06 PM

I have no experience with loaders, but I recently saw a Craigslist ad where a gentleman was selling his homebuilt loader from plans. The comment that struck me was that the loader was on it's fourth tractor "because it broke 3 others in half." Use caution and reinforce everything.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 05:27 AM

As far as the spindles go,you can upgrade them to make them stronger.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 06:13 AM

$50 to take my worries away? :smilewink: That would take away all of the fun! :laughingteeth:

But then I'd be having the fun! I'd like to mount that on my GTV. Oh well, guess I won't! :(

#13 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 06:43 AM

I used to have a Johnson 12 loader on a JD 140. Nice little loaders, but 800#, NO!!! I don't remember for sure, but I think the manual said closer to half that. They are a good little tool, but limited!

GARDEN TRACTORS 131.jpg

I ended up selling the 140 with loader & buying a JD 790 Compact w/300 loader, before I tore the 140 up! ~~ Lowell

#14 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Mark , can't really help you with picking which tractor would be best but can tell you I had a Ford 3400 utility tractor w/fel and when I picked up a Power King with a loader needing repairs I thought I would fix it and sell it for a profit , Well about 15 years later I still have the Power King and the Ford sits no-running from not being used !!! Found the GT w/fel is the handiest thing to have around the house . Al

"Found the GT w/fel is the handiest thing to have around the house" I can really understand this. Thank you!

#15 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 09:03 AM

I have no experience with loaders, but I recently saw a Craigslist ad where a gentleman was selling his homebuilt loader from plans. The comment that struck me was that the loader was on it's fourth tractor "because it broke 3 others in half." Use caution and reinforce everything.

You bring up a good point, it is important to ensure that the GT frame is strong and that mounting points are solid as well.