20 replies to this topic

#16 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:35 AM

Frenchy, I know the soil you mean, since we're both stuck with it. If it's a one-time thing, I'd rent a mini-excavator. If it's an ongoing thing, I'd buy one. This clay here is brutal...packed into place by a giant lake after the last ice age. I actually cracked a bone in foot while digging a hole once.

If you want to use your GT though, break it up with a plough or sub-soiler, then scrape it out with a rear blade. That will give you a gentle swale, not a trench, so you'll have to backfill a lot, but I can't think of another method that would work. If you want to avoid the back-filling, you'll have to shovel by hand.

One thing I have done, but wouldn't recommend, is drilling a series of holes with a post-hole digger, then joining them together using a hand shovel. I did that for a trench that was about ten feet long and the results were good, but the work was ugly.

#17 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,937 Thanks
  • 4,063 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 08:07 AM

This from a guy that pulls a triple 12" bottom plough with a 1655? Or is that another Ducky?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdxav1zrxs&list=FL6KTtzLgSGlsmxKZ59dObfQ&index=67&feature=plpp_video

The MF14 has the same transmission and rear end as the 1655. Horsepower is not a problem. That transmission will only use 12.5 hp. I very much doubt that weight is a major concern, either.

Yep, we are one and the same.

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 02:31 PM

Well since your wanting to build a tool for the job. I'm with Kenny. Check out PF Engineering and or Cad Plans and build a Back hoe for your Garden tractor.
Alright I will confess, I want one and want someone to build one and let me know how it works first.
I have about 600 ft of drainage ditch that I want straightened and the banks tapered out to wher I can mow it.
I't's about 4-5 ft below grade and straight up and down now.

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 02:39 PM

Boy that 1655 with 3 bottomn really does a nice job!!
  • ducky said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 32,297 Thanks
  • 42,065 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Well since your wanting to build a tool for the job. I'm with Kenny. Check out PF Engineering and or Cad Plans and build a Back hoe for your Garden tractor.
Alright I will confess, I want one and want someone to build one and let me know how it works first.
I have about 600 ft of drainage ditch that I want straightened and the banks tapered out to wher I can mow it.
I't's about 4-5 ft below grade and straight up and down now.

Wish I was still in the backhoe business. I could take care of that for you. But, alas, I'm not. Those were fun years.

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Yes Kenny I need a back hoe on the place for a few days. There is a Grain Elevator off the Northeast corner of my property.
With Who knows how many square feet of Concrete all draing on me. When It rains hard it looks like a waterfall coming down.
So I have about a half acre of marsh due to their runoff and this ditch, that runs under my lane into a holding pond on another neighbors property. I would like to reclaim the marsh and keep my soil out of the neighbors pond to the south.
If I don't drain the marsh, the wife wants to plant Bamboo/Cane in the marsh?