20 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 11:30 AM

hey everyone

I have numerous trenches I need to dig to lay weeping tile in. The trenches need to be 8" - 12" wide and roughly 12" - 16" deep at most.

I want to build a 3pt mountable implement that could dig that, but I don't know where to start from a tool perspective. What type of cutting edge would i need to design/use for this? A friend thinks that a arrow shaped cultivator shovel probably wouldn't work as it wouldn't cut right.

Tractor is a Dynamark/MF 14 with front and rear hydraulics and 3 pt.

Thoughts?

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 01:27 PM

Regular 12 inch moldboard plow could easily dig 6 , mabey 8 inches deep. Then a pass with a middle buster mabey...

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 03:33 PM

I guess you guys don't have many rocks out there. Here we would need a mini excavator to dig a long trench.

#4 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 03:44 PM

It's what is called Manitoba gumbo. It's heavy clay, no rocks. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to make a 3 pt claw so to speak with a cultivator shovel pointed at the perfect angle.... i dunno

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 04:40 PM

I think you're best bet with that kind of soil will be (assuming you can get the power into the ground) 3 coulters with a middle-buster behind. left & right coulter to cut the sod & down into the clay & the center one to allow the middlebuster to throw it both ways without having to power thru.

Attached File  untitled.bmp   576.05KB   178 downloads

I would almost bet you'll have to do this in 2 or three passes with that kind of depth.
That's gonna be a lot of anchor back there to try to pull.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 05:35 PM

You might be able to make something like this. It would be like a box without a top, front, or a back. The 3 sides that it does have would cut through the clay. It would have a bar in the front and it would attach to the tractor from the bar with a swivel. You would need a sleeve hitch, 3 point or other mechanism to lift it. It would be towed behind the tractor and when lowered it would cut the ground going in and then the cut stuff would be left in the trench and have to be removed. I would imagine you would need to make several passes and probably only go a few inches at a time. The swivel would allow it to self level and you could turn without it swinging to the outside. I have no idea if it would work or not, and it you hit a rock or root I think it would be done for. Just another idea to build off of.

Not drawn to any specs, just a quick minute on paint for an example.

Attached Files

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Easiest way I see is to rent a small crawler backhoe and dig the trenches. Take a lot less effort and time.
  • IamSherwood, frenchy and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:18 PM

I guess you guys don't have many rocks out there. Here we would need a mini excavator to dig a long trench.

The same here. Better plant both Feet and Hands for the ride.

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 07:19 PM

I agree with Kenny. By the time you add up materials, and trial and error time spent, you'd
be further ahead to rent the mini excavator, with a blade, and be done in a day.(or less)
Line up a couple other projects for the same day, and you'll be so happy, you'll be jumpin
in the air, and clickin your heals.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 06:48 AM

I agree with Kenny. By the time you add up materials, and trial and error time spent, you'd
be further ahead to rent the mini excavator, with a blade, and be done in a day.(or less)
Line up a couple other projects for the same day, and you'll be so happy, you'll be jumpin
in the air, and clickin your heals.

I also agree that this is probably the best and easiest way.

#11 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 10:14 AM

Cool, thanks all!

#12 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 05:17 PM

I use a 12" trenching bucket on my FEL, or my back hoe for something like that.

You only need a 6" trench to lay 4" drainage hose, if the gumbo will hold the sides without caving in. Maybe a 6" wide steep raked ripper on the 3PH with a guide to push the dirt to the side as it comes out. Your tractor should be able to pull it at 5" or 6" deep passes and need 2 or 3 passes to complete.

Moisture content is the key. Too dry and the tractor can't pull that load, too wet and it'll glue the tractor in place, and just right, it will peel the soil out like peeling a banana. You just have to play with the depth of cut and dig out the ends of the trench by hand.

Edited by TUDOR, March 23, 2012 - 05:19 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Wondering what your objective is here?
Irrigation or Drainage or maybe both?
Just my 2 cents worth. For the size of the trench your MF 14 will be really short on HP and Weight.
A larger tractor would be needed to do what you are asking.

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Depends on what equipment you have access to. I have a Gravely Tractor with a Rotary plow that can easily dig 6-8 or more inches in one pass, with about a 10 inch wide trench. I have in fact put in a couple of drainage ditches, with 4 inch drain pipe with this machine. Beats hand digging. For what you appear to be trying to do, I'd put dual wheels on so the tractor would straddle the ditch, then make one pass in each direction to ensure the width you wanted. Another pass for depth, then you would be done.

#15 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:16 AM

Just my 2 cents worth. For the size of the trench your MF 14 will be really short on HP and Weight.
A larger tractor would be needed to do what you are asking.

This from a guy that pulls a triple 12" bottom plough with a 1655? Or is that another Ducky?

The MF14 has the same transmission and rear end as the 1655. Horsepower is not a problem. That transmission will only use 12.5 hp. I very much doubt that weight is a major concern, either.

Edited by MH81, September 14, 2014 - 09:06 AM.